AX4SPE Max / 1 SATA and 2 IDE drives - config help

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Jeff Godfrey, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Jeff Godfrey

    Jeff Godfrey Guest

    Hi All,

    I recently built a P4 3.0 GHz HT, 1 GB RAM system around an AX4SPE Max board
    with both SATA and IDE connections. Now, I need a little SATA education...

    Originally, I had a 160GB Seagate SATA drive and a single IDE Plextor 708A
    DVD-Burner. I had configured the burner as an IDE Master device and
    installed it on the 2nd IDE channel. This config worked great.

    I have recently added an ASUS DVD-ROM drive (also IDE) to the system and am
    wondering what might be the best (most efficient) way to configure all 3
    devices.

    At first, I attempted to just install the new DVD-ROM drive on the 1st IDE
    channel as a master device also, but that seemed to totally confuse the
    system - i.e. it would not boot, and the auto detected drives in the BIOS
    were not correct. Apparently SATA and IDE share some of the same resources?

    I now have everything working correctly, configured as follows:

    DVD-ROM - 2nd IDE channel, Master device
    DVD-Burner - 2nd IDE channel, Slave device

    I guess my question is... Should this be a fairly efficient setup for the
    devices? Even though I doubt I'll ever rip from the DVD-ROM and write
    directly to the Burner, if I did - would I be better off having the 2 DVD
    devices on different IDE channels?

    If so, can I just set up one of the devices as a Slave device and connect it
    to the IDE 1 channel without confusing the SATA hard-drive setup? I never
    tried that configuration... If that makes sense, anyone care to suggest
    which DVD device should be coupled with the HD and which should be on it's
    own?

    Thanks for any input.

    Jeff Godfrey

    Jeff Godfrey, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Jeff Godfrey

    dpos Guest

    Here's the config you should use:

    Set the new DVD drive up as MASter on the Primary IDE channel and leave the
    CD-RW drive as MASter on the Secondary IDE channel. Now enter the system
    BIOS and change the IDE configuration settings for the SATA from AUTO to
    Enhanced mode instead.

    That should allow up to 6 IDE devices, 2 SATA drives and 4 IDE/PATA drives.

    dpos

    dpos, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Jeff Godfrey

    Jeff Godfrey Guest

    Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try this evening.

    Jeff

    :
    : > If so, can I just set up one of the devices as a Slave device and
    : > connect it to the IDE 1 channel without confusing the SATA hard-drive
    : > setup? I never tried that configuration... If that makes sense,
    : > anyone care to suggest which DVD device should be coupled with the HD
    : > and which should be on it's own?
    : >
    : > Thanks for any input.
    : >
    : > Jeff Godfrey
    : >
    : >
    : >
    :

    Jeff Godfrey, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Jeff Godfrey

    Jeff Godfrey Guest

    OK, I got a chance to try this out this morning, but no luck.

    Just to be clear, here's the configuration that fails:

    Seagate 160GB HD - SATA1
    ASUS DVD-ROM - IDE1, Master
    Plextor DVD-Burner - IDE2, Master

    In the BIOS, I have the following:
    Integrated Peripherals | OnChip IDE Device | SATA Mode --> IDE
    Integrated Peripherals | OnChip IDE Device | On-Chip Serial ATA --> Enhanced
    Mode
    Integrated Peripherals | OnChip IDE Device | Serial ATA Port0 Mode -->
    Secondary Master (interestingly, it says "econdary Master")

    When I boot with this config, the system no longer recognizes the HD. In
    fact, under the "Standard CMOS Features" of the BIOS, I see the following:

    IDE Primary Master - ASUS DVD-ROM
    IDE Primary Slave - None
    IDE Secondary Master - Plextor DVDR
    IDE Secondary Slave - None

    Can you provide any further assistance?

    Thanks in advance,

    Jeff Godfrey

    :

    Jeff Godfrey, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Jeff Godfrey

    dpos Guest

    That should work, I've set this up at the shop many times with this kind
    of config. Be sure you have the latest BIOS update too also perhaps
    clear the ESCD/PNP as well, this should be enabled.

    When you're using enhanced mode, there should be some extra lines that
    show up on the post screen when detecting IDE/SATA drives. It should
    look something like the following:

    Detecting IDE drives.

    Channel 0 Primary Master
    Channel 0 Primary Slave
    Channel 1 Secondary Master
    Channel 1 Secondary Slave
    Channel 2 Primary Master
    Channel 2 Primary Slave
    Channel 3 Secondary Master
    Channel 3 Secondary Slave

    This is how it works on the boxes I build ;)

    dpos

    dpos, Mar 5, 2004