AX4SPE-Max - BIOS Flashing Diaster - help?

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Jeff Godfrey, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Jeff Godfrey

    Jeff Godfrey Guest

    Hi All,

    Well, in an attempt to get my SATA / IDE problem solved (earlier post), I
    attempted to upgrade my BIOS to the latest version. It didn't seem to go so
    well...

    First, my original BIOS was 1.02. I grabbed the latest for the AX4SPE-MAX
    board from the AOPEN site - which is 1.10.

    Upon running for the first time, the program instructed me to turn off
    HyperThreading - which I did.

    Upon running for the second time, the "Programming" progress bar moved along
    normally up to about 65% completion, where it appeared to hang for a while -
    then a message was posted that the flash process was complete and
    successful.

    After a reboot, the system would no longer even POST! So, I frantically
    read through my docs and found the JP24 jumper - which accesses an onboard
    Rescue BIOS. After switching the jumper, I can now reboot my system, but
    I'm not sure what to do now.

    First, I can't find much info on the DieHard BIOS feature of the board.
    Mainly, how to I "repair" the obviously corrupted "main" BIOS?

    I found a thread stating to boot from the DieHard BIOS, swap the JP24 jumper
    back to its original setting with the system running (!!!) and then reflash
    the original BIOS. I went through those steps with the downloaded BIOS
    upgrade only to have it apparently hang at 65% again, and ultimately act
    exactly the same way. So, 2 questions:

    1. What is the proper procedure to restore the original BIOS (with *any*
    version at this point) when running from the Rescue BIOS?
    2. Any ideas what's up with the 1.10 flash upgrade. I can't really find
    anyone reporting similar troubles - though the "search" facilities on the
    AOPEN eForum appear to be broken at the moment.

    Thanks for any assistance.

    Jeff Godfrey

    Jeff Godfrey, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Jeff Godfrey

    Jeff Godfrey Guest

    : Hi All,
    :
    : Well, in an attempt to get my SATA / IDE problem solved (earlier post), I
    : attempted to upgrade my BIOS to the latest version. It didn't seem to go
    so
    : well...

    Update...

    I was able to find some "hints" on the AOpen eForums that there might be
    some problems with the latest BIOS (1.10) and certain ATI cards (which I
    have). So, even though I found nothing really specific, that's the only
    possible explanation for I found for my BIOS upgrade problems. If anyone
    knows otherwise, please let me know.

    Even though my system was shipped with BIOS 1.02, curiously the AOpen
    download site only has 1.01 and 1.10. Well, I've had enough of 1.10, so I
    reflashed to 1.01 using the EZWinFlash program - but was still greeted with
    all kinds of POST errors. Finally, I reflashed using the DOS version of
    1.01 and all seems to be OK now - other than I have gone to much effort to
    effectively downgrade my BIOS from 1.02 to 1.01!

    Now, back to the original IDE/SATA problem - still no joy there. It seems
    that I can only get the SATA HD and the IDE DVD Burner and IDE DVD-ROM to
    play nicely if the two IDE devices are set as Master / Slave on IDE2. So,
    I'm thinking that maybe BIOS 1.10 might fix that, but I can't seem to get
    there from here. Honestly, at this point I'm just happy to have my system
    running again - even with a downgraded BIOS.

    Here's a question. The "recover" BIOS is 1.02. Is there a way to transfer
    it to the "normal" BIOS - either directly or indirectly?

    Any advice, hints, or words of encouragement appreciated...

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Godfrey, Mar 6, 2004

  3. Jeff Godfrey

    dpos Guest

    Now, back to the original IDE/SATA problem - still no joy there. It
    I wish I could point you to something however I didn't have any issues
    flashing a clients machine just this morning with v1.10 on the same
    motherboard that also had v1.02 ;)

    Of course I never use the Winflash apps, I always use a bootable floppy and
    run the DOS flasher instead...

    dpos

    dpos, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Jeff Godfrey

    Jeff Godfrey Guest

    : I wish I could point you to something however I didn't have any issues
    : flashing a clients machine just this morning with v1.10 on the same
    : motherboard that also had v1.02 ;)
    :
    : Of course I never use the Winflash apps, I always use a bootable floppy
    and
    : run the DOS flasher instead...
    :
    : dpos

    Hmmmm... I'd be willing to try again using the 1.10 DOS flasher.... but I
    can't seem to find it. On the AOpen Download Center, all I see is the
    EZWinFlash version. Any idea where I can get the 1.10 DOS files?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Godfrey, Mar 6, 2004