B S O D (Blue Screen Of Death)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by MiniDisc_2k2, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. MiniDisc_2k2

    MiniDisc_2k2 Guest

    If you don't want to read this somewhat long post, here's a question you can
    answer (but does not solve the answer which is in the rest of the post): Can
    you provide me with a document or website or something that has a lookup
    table, so I can reference the hexidecimal numbers in the STOP message on a
    BSOD screen to an actual error message in english?

    If you are willing to help me with my problem:

    Yes, I'm reposting this message. I've isolated the problem, I think, but I
    need verification (or other ideas).

    I've been getting this BSOD message for months (granted, only about once a
    month, but I'm getting it nonetheless):

    *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80515F86, 0xF9E84C0C, 0xF9E8490C)

    No error message (like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) accompanies the message.
    Recommendation says to check hardware, hardware drivers, and software
    drivers (like firewalls, etc.).

    I had been getting this message whenever my computer goes into automatic
    standby (after 15 minutes) when I overclocked my system from 2.4GHz to
    2.95GHz. If I told it to go to standby (start->turn off->standby) it would
    turn on fine, but automatic standby didn't work as well. I have now
    de-overclocked the system (all settings back to normal) and I'm still
    getting this problem. As I had overclocked it the second day I got my
    motherboard, I don't know if overclocking caused the problem or if it had
    existed prior to overclocking.

    I believe I may have isolated the problem. I have been noticing lately that
    after an automatic standby, sometimes my system will turn on but the monitor
    will not turn on (the LED remains yellow, indicating no signal). I would
    then have to restart my computer (reset button) to get it to work again.
    Therefore, I believe that the video card or its driver may be causing the
    problem. Do you agree?

    I tried to enter the STOP message into the knowledge base
    (support.microsoft.com) to see if they had my error message (or something
    vaguely similar). While there are many STOP 0x0000007E messages, none of
    them apply to me or apply enough to me for me to care. I checked any that
    said STOP 0x0000007E and talked about standby, video cards, or computers
    which stop responding. I did not check any which applied to a specific
    computer (like ones that said "Dell XPS B533R Computer Stops Responding....)
    or ones that didn't apply to Windows XP. Any other ideas on what to search?
    I believe that there's a website that actually gives you like a lookup table
    to find out what the error really meant, but I couldn't find it.

    Finally, I went to Windows Update (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to see if I
    could pull up a new device driver. There was one, for my video card
    (coincidence?). I installed it, but I'll have to wait until the next time my
    computer goes into standby to find out if it worked. Does anyone know
    actually what that video card driver fixed?

    Thanks for any help. System specs follow:

    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
    CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (533MHz FSB)
    Memory: 1x256MB Corsair High-Performance DDR400*
    Primary Master: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA/133
    Primary Slave: None
    Secondary Master: Generic 56x Max CD-ROM
    Secondary Slave: None
    Floppy Drive: Generic 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
    LPT1: HP Deskjet 722C**
    COM1: Palm Hotsync Cradle
    COM2: None
    AC'97: Speakers Not Attached
    PS/2 Keyboard: HP Something-or-other :)
    PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Optical WheelMouse
    AGP 8x Port: Empty?
    PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
    PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
    PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)
    PCI4: Empty
    PCI5: Empty
    Rear Panel USB1: Yamaha CRW3200UXZ (CD-RW 10x/24x/40x)
    Rear Panel USB2: Logitech Wingman Extreme

    Motherboard pin connectors allow for 2 more USB ports and 3 firewire ports,
    but I do not have the sister cards connected to allow for them, nor do I
    have any hardware which would require them.

    * While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
    Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it (extremely few
    lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I have run MemTest86
    (www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has indicated that the RAM is
    perfectly functioning.
    ** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure to use
    both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver, and asks you
    which one you would like to use), and I have made sure to use a signed
    driver (XP certified).
    ? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
    ? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers.
    Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.

    Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)

    MiniDisc_2k2, Jul 13, 2003

  2. MiniDisc_2k2

    Cari Guest

  3. MiniDisc_2k2

    Scott Guest

    Scott, Jul 13, 2003
  4. MiniDisc_2k2

    MiniDisc_2k2 Guest

    Read my original post

    <quote>
    I tried to enter the STOP message into the knowledge base
    (support.microsoft.com) to see if they had my error message (or something
    vaguely similar). While there are many STOP 0x0000007E messages, none of
    them apply to me or apply enough to me for me to care. I checked any that
    said STOP 0x0000007E and talked about standby, video cards, or computers
    which stop responding. I did not check any which applied to a specific
    computer (like ones that said "Dell XPS B533R Computer Stops Responding....)
    or ones that didn't apply to Windows XP. Any other ideas on what to search?
    I believe that there's a website that actually gives you like a lookup table
    to find out what the error really meant, but I couldn't find it.
    </quote>

    MiniDisc_2k2, Jul 14, 2003
  5. MiniDisc_2k2

    Jim Davis Guest

    I have the Ultra MB and I don't use standby at all, cause it just
    locks up the computer. I suggest you turn everything off. I don't know
    why they can't get this stuff right, I don't think I've ever had a MB
    that doesn't screw up stand by mode.

    Jim Davis
    Nature Photography
    http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/

    Jim Davis, Jul 14, 2003
  6. MiniDisc_2k2

    Tim Guest

    Hi,

    This is either a device driver or possibly h/w problem.

    Firstly, NVidia cards won't 'burn'. Apparently the cards that burn are the
    wrong voltage AGP's in the wrong m/b's - this comment is for Jim Davis. If
    you put any AGP1/2 card in an AGP8 slot you will apparently get big problems
    regardless of make, so Jim, before you burn your m/b, please read up about
    AGP voltages - this is nothing to do with NVidia.

    When IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL occurs, you generally will see the device driver
    name listed. Most often, the one that is visible on screen is the one that
    caused the problem - but then I suppose you have to know the name of the
    device driver... NVidia tends to start with nv....sys

    Since it is your display that does not come back on - this is another
    indicator of the problem.

    You have quite a bit of h/w installed, but it will help isolate the problem
    by removing all extra h/w if you can. Also configure your standby settings
    and screen saver to much shorter intervals to do some conclusive testing.

    Check in particular the following
    if you can remove the PCI2 & 3 devices while checking out the graphics
    drivers this will help isolate things.

    GeForce4 is a good chipset, so if the problem is with the card's drivers, it
    should be easily fixed.

    So

    0) take a backup
    1) go to the graphics h/w vendors site for updated drivers. Look for WHQL
    certified drivers.
    If you get no joy there, go to NVidia.
    2) remove extra devices if you are willing,
    3) deinstall all extraneous drivers - if there is a deinstall program - if
    you are willing.
    4) amend screen saver and power config to much shorter intervals for quick
    simulation runs
    5) configure the new graphics drivers.
    6) do standby simulations......
    7) if you get problems again, post to this news group more details from your
    BSOD screen.
    You could post it to one of the MS Windows news groups as well if you
    wished.

    best of luck.

    - Tim
    P4 2.8 GHz running at 50 MHz! You think you have problems? try 4 hours to
    install XP - took 20 mins first time!

    Tim, Jul 18, 2003
  7. MiniDisc_2k2

    Jim Davis Guest

    Oh I have a Radeon 9200, I won't burn.

    But, my computer store person told me that a Ti4200 would burn on this
    MB. Interesting then that if I put my old Gforce which was AGP2 in
    this it would burn?

    Jim Davis
    Nature Photography
    http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/

    Jim Davis, Jul 18, 2003
  8. MiniDisc_2k2

    MiniDisc_2k2 Guest

    I've heard that too, but after research I found out it only aplies to those
    cards with a Ti4800 chipset.

    MiniDisc_2k2, Jul 21, 2003
  9. MiniDisc_2k2

    MiniDisc_2k2 Guest