    No may be about it.
    Doesnt need to be. You just run something like Everest to get the SMART data.

    Rod Speed, Aug 2, 2007

  2. techman41973

    Rod Speed Guest

    He's likely older than you are, fool.
    Dont bet on it.

    Rod Speed, Aug 2, 2007

  3. techman41973

    Rod Speed Guest

    Nope.

    Rod Speed, Aug 2, 2007
  4. techman41973

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    Plonk

    M.I.5¾, Aug 2, 2007
  5. techman41973

    chrisv Guest

    That's an excuse to use the wrong terms, when the correct terms are
    available? Idiot.

    chrisv, Aug 2, 2007
  6. techman41973

    chrisv Guest

    You're quite a guy. You make an ass of yourself, call everyone who
    corrects you "clueless", and then plonk them. Amazing.

    chrisv, Aug 2, 2007
  7. techman41973

    chrisv Guest

    Oh? Below is what you did to Folkert's words when you quoted them.
    See anything wrong, there?

    I guess, like most idiots who use Outhouse Express for USENET, you're
    blind to the utter mess you make of things.

    chrisv, Aug 2, 2007
  8. techman41973

    chrisv Guest

    Wouldn't bet my life on it...

    chrisv, Aug 2, 2007
  9. techman41973

    345 Guest

    Fat lot of good that will ever do you, child.

    345, Aug 2, 2007
  10. techman41973

    Odie Ferrous Guest

    Having read most of the replies to your post, I note that no-one has
    mentioned the possibility that you may have a failing (failed?)
    read/write head, or flakey drive firmware.

    This is the most likely cause of such excessive bad sectors.

    The other cause is contamination (either foreign or as the result of a
    manufacturing flaw) on the platter that has affected one of the r/w
    heads.

    Whatever the case, this drive is no longer serviceable and if you have
    important data but don't have backups, you could have some problems.

    CHKDSK is one of the worst utilities to run on a drive with serious
    issues, after Norton Disk Doctor.

    Odie

    Odie Ferrous, Aug 2, 2007
  11. techman41973

    Rod Speed Guest

    A number did however suggest that the drive may be dying and that
    the manufacturer's diag is the best way to decide if that is the problem.
    Most dont care about why the drive is dying, just whether it is or not.

    Rod Speed, Aug 2, 2007
  12. Actually that is what the other three Bozos said, Bozo 4.
    Just not in those words.
    What excessive bad sectors Bozo 4?
    Crystal ball standard issue for clowns, is it?
    Another gaze in the crystal ball, Odoriferous?
    The "serious issues" could just be a scrambled file system administration.

    E.g. sector/cluster addresses that don't exist and lead to read and write errors.

    Folkert Rienstra, Aug 2, 2007
  13. Congratulations with such a carefully crafted troll, it worked like a charm.

    Folkert Rienstra, Aug 4, 2007
  14. techman41973

    Rod Speed Guest

    You wouldnt know what a troll was if it bit you on your lard arse.

    Rod Speed, Aug 4, 2007
  15. techman41973

    Jack Guest

    : Hey, another Bozo, that I appear to have overlooked.
    :
    <snip>

    : alt.comp.hardware, comp.sys.laptops, full of Bozos.
    :

    Sounds pretty funny coming from the lead Bozo of them all, you fucking
    asshole!

    j.

    Jack, Aug 6, 2007
  16. techman41973

    Stretch Guest

    Oh look, that foul-mouth gender-confused Jac/Jack/Jacky troll is back
    again, to make one of it's very rare appearances to criticise the critics.

    It used to post from Spain.
    Perhaps they have finally expelled it, back to where it came from.

    Stretch, Aug 6, 2007
  17. techman41973

    Rod Speed Guest

    He's actually a wanking asshole.