    Pulled that one out and problem solved. My question is can a bad cpu cause
    such a thing? I'd like to run the faster cpu, but don't want to keep
    trashing ram (seen the prices lately). Thanks for any info you can give.

    lew alcindor, Aug 3, 2003

  2. lew alcindor

    Gonzo Guest

    Your CPU is not to blame. I did this to one of my DIMMS myself. It is
    caused when the DIMM is not seated properly. It either was loose in it
    socket or you hit it with your hand or something happened to make the DIMMS
    loose and / or crooked enough to ark electricity.

    FWIW, my burned DIMM worked in another board just fine as the contacts in
    the other board were larger or longer. I was lucky though. Best to live
    and learn and chunk the DIMM. They are cheap now days anyway.

    Gonzo, Aug 3, 2003

  3. lew alcindor

    kb Guest

    Thanks Man!!!

    Kinda figured that.

    This DIMM unfortunately is toast. The gold contact is completely gone on
    two points. Too bad ram jumped up recently. Could have bought 512 for $40
    a month or so ago from Crucial.

    kb, Aug 3, 2003
  4. lew alcindor

    Frank Guest

    Just picked up 2 new 512MB DDR PC2100 Crucial (CT6464Z265) sticks
    Friday for $39.99 each after rebates from Best Buy.
    Win2K Pro seems quite happy with a 1 Gig of memory.
    As you say it's been on the way up again, and I just couldn't resist.
    Memory maxed, now for a 266Mhz version of the XP2600+ :^)

    Frank

    Frank, Aug 5, 2003