Bad LCD Display on IBM 600E Thinkpad?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Thom Moore, May 2, 2004.

  1. Thom Moore

    Thom Moore Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    I have an IBM 600E LCD Display that recently began doing the
    following:
    1. On startup, I get a faded, red-tinted, blinking display
    2. After a while, it fades to almost black (very faint image tho..)
    3. Played with the contrast, and position of LCD to rule out
    any sort of mechanical issues
    4. Any standar monitor plugged into computer works great, ruling out
    the video card.

    My question is, can I assume my LCD is hosed or is it another problem?
    If it's a bad LCD, and I have some decent computer hardware
    experience, will it be simple enough to replace (let's say with an
    eBay replacement..)

    I love the laptop.. absolutely a well built machine. Can't give it up
    yet! :)

    Thanks,
    -Thom

    Thom Moore, May 2, 2004

  2. Thom,

    It's the florescent tube. As it ages the gas turns pink/red. It's not a - very
    - difficult fix, and certainly not expensive. Tube will cost $25-35 on eBay. A
    shop will always talk you into buying a new screen. Dont let them. I used to
    get a new screen for the laptops I bought that had a red tint, now I just
    replace the tube. Saves a LOT of $$.

    email for instructions... not difficult, just a little involved...
    remove the Dec7. from the address.

    TJ

    Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC, May 2, 2004

  3. Could be a bad inverter. If not, the backlight is shot. It is possible
    to change it, but not easy. Easier to just change the LCD

    Bruce Markowitz, May 2, 2004
  4. Just for a mere $50 more!

    Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC, May 3, 2004
  5. Thom Moore

    Badaboom Guest

    Hi Thom,
    I have a 600E and had the same problem several months ago. Took it
    into an authorized IBM repair facility. They diagnosed the problem
    as a bad inverter and contacted IBM for a replacement. They installed
    the new inverter and it didn't help. Except now the screen flickered
    on and off. They contacted IBM and IBM said the replacement inverter
    was bad so they shipped off another one. After it was installed, the
    problem was still present - screen flickering on and off. IBM was
    contacted and they indicated that the LCD was bad. A new one would cost
    somewhere in the neighborhood of $600. Ouch! I brought my 600E home
    and started scouring EBay for a LCD. Finally won one for just under
    $90 (the whole lid assembly). As a retired electronics technician I
    knew I could replace the unit with no problems but figuring out how to
    get at the various screws etc. would take some detailed instructions.
    Thanks to IBM's wonderful support info available online, I breezed
    through the replacement with no problems whatsoever. At completion
    I powered up the machine and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw
    the screen display my desktop with full brightness and no flickering!
    The best of luck to you in solving your problem.
    Ted/

    Badaboom, May 3, 2004
  6. Thom Moore

    Wesley Guest

    Wesley, May 3, 2004
  7. Just a mere $100 more than do it yourself. What a bargain.

    Bruce Markowitz, May 4, 2004
  8. Thom Moore

    Thom Moore Guest

    Aye Captain,

    You've helped me come up to speed with LCD hardware. Well, I did
    check out eBay, but only found Inverters for sale, no CCFT's.

    Hmm.. what I'm thinking of doing is replacing both inverter and tube.
    Would you have any idea how I can get the specific part #'s for my
    600E?

    Are they labelled somehow on the original parts? Or is there a
    standard for that series...?

    Plus, one more question... would you recommend an online store that
    stocks these parts new?

    Thanks for the help!

    -Thom

    Thom Moore, May 4, 2004
  9. Thom Moore

    Thom Moore Guest

    Hi Thom,
    Hi Ted,

    Thanks for the heads up! You mention the online help... was this from
    the ibm.com website? I tried going to it today and found some generic
    instructions on how to replace the harddrive, memory, and battery, but
    nothing detailed as removing the power inverter or CCFT.

    Thanks,
    -Thom

    Thom Moore, May 4, 2004
  10. Thom Moore

    Thom Moore Guest

    Hi Ted,

    I dug around the message boards and found the keywords to search on
    the IBM website. Apparently it's as easy as "thinkpad 600 hmm" HMM
    meaning hardware maintenance manual...

    Pretty good document I must say! :)

    Thom Moore, May 4, 2004
  11. Thom Moore

    Badaboom Guest

    Hi Thom,
    The instructions I used came from the ThinkPad 600/600E (2645)
    Hardware Maintenance Manual, IBM S10L-9619-03 June 1999. It is
    available for downloading in .pdf format on IBMs website.
    Regards,
    Ted/

    Badaboom, May 4, 2004
  12. HARHARHARHARHARHARHAR!!!! And you sleep at night??? This can turn into a
    bidding war! I can replace that LCD for $125!

    TJ

    Capt. \Wild\ Bill Kelso, USAAC, May 4, 2004
  13. Thom,

    Here's one guy that sells(a lot) of CCFL..

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3460973256

    there is only a penny between bid price and BuyItNow price, so I'd hit the BIN
    button. There are several other CCFL sellers but not on eBay. If you do a CCFL
    search in google or others, you'll find them. This guy, T-pad Plus, is in NC,
    and gets his parts from IBM. There are some folks here that think he should be
    avoided. I havent bought from him, but his feedback rating is better than a lot
    of others.

    TJ

    Capt. \Wild\ Bill Kelso, USAAC, May 4, 2004