Bad monitor or bad card?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Venadium, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Venadium

    Venadium Guest

    I've had my ATI-built 9800 Pro for a few weeks now and I'm very happy with
    it. The only problem I noticed was a vertical 'line' that travels from the
    top of my screen to the bottom, over and over. I figured this was a problem
    with my monitor, since I found it on the side of the street. Something odd
    however was that I have the same line on my secondary monitor, which used to
    be my primary until I found this one, only it travels from bottom to top.
    Both monitors are CRT, and secondary is plugged into the DVI output.

    Tonight, while trying to get dual-display working correctly in Linux, I
    noticed something interesting. For some reason, the linux driver treats the
    DVI as the primary adapter, and there is no way I know of to change it
    (without modifying the driver source, I imagine). What's interesting is,
    that under Linux my primary monitor now becomes secondary, and vice versa.
    Now, under linux, the 'line' moves from the bottom up on the monitor I found
    in the garbage, and from the top down on the old monitor, exactly the
    opposite of how it happens in Windows.

    Is there something wrong with my 9800 Pro, or is this somehow caused by each
    monitor running at a different resolution / refresh rate?

    Venadium, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Venadium

    Venadium Guest

    After some experimentation (which I suppose I should have done before
    posting), it seems that the lines only occur if the primary monitor is set
    at 1280x1024x60Hz (its highest possible setting).

    Venadium, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Venadium

    fook me Guest

    so you found 2 monitors - one on the side of the street and one in the
    garbage?

    And your wondering why it has lines going up and down it?????

    ROFLMAO

    fook me, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Venadium

    iddqd Guest

    It's not uncommon to see such a thing on older monitors - most likely
    avoiding having them run the same refresh rate will circumvent the problem.

    Never monitors should not have the problem due to the fact that for some
    years there has been a focus on minimizing the radiation* emited by
    monitors, not to avoid problems like the rolling lines but because there
    are speculations that the magnetic fields and all may be bad to ones health.

    Kind regards

    Bruno

    * Radiation in a wide sense - not nuclear stuff per se:)

    iddqd, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Venadium

    Venadium Guest

    No. I found one on the side of the street, in a pile of other old computer
    equipment that a school was getting rid of. It was larger than the 2
    monitors I was currently using, so I brought it home and tested it out. Now
    my secondary monitor is a 15" that came with an HP I bought a few years ago.

    LOLOLOLOLOLOMGOMG!!!!1111one@

    Die.

    Venadium, Jan 7, 2004