Bad sectors in three new hard drives.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Venom, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. Venom

    Venom Guest

    My trusty rusty A7V600 computer got a real clean out two weeks ago with
    spiders and dustbunnies being evicted and the CPU cooler removed, cleaned
    and regunked.
    I have been flogging the guts out of this unit since the A7V600 first
    appeared on the market and I thought I may as well replace the hard drive as
    it is three years old in May. The old drive tested ok but a new one wouldn't
    hurt for more troublefree life.
    Replacement was another Seagate Barracuda 40Gb and I cloned the old drive
    over to the new drive and away we went. Two and a half days later it crashed
    with bad sectors. This drive was replaced with another new drive and two and
    a half days later there were more bad sectors in this new drive. This one
    was exchanged and the exercise repeated a third time with another crash two
    and a half days later. Three new drives and three crashes. I took out a new
    80Gb drive this time (Seagate) and one of the lads in the store suggested I
    replace my power supply too so I took home a new 80Gb drive and a new
    550watt PSU. I cloned the original drive onto the 80 gigger and the computer
    has been running just over three days now trouble free. I can't see how a
    PSU would cause bad sectors in a hard drive and the three drives in question
    were all from different batches so I kind of rule out a bad batch. Format is
    Fat32 if this may have any bearing on the matter.
    Any ideas anyone?

    Venom, Mar 18, 2006

  2. Venom

    old man Guest

    I experienced this type of problem with sata drives in an array.
    The drive would drop out of the array, being reported degraded.
    Sometimes it was possible to 'repair' then reinstate the array.
    Finally the, branded quality psu blew. Once replaced with a higher pwr psu
    no more problems.

    old man, Mar 18, 2006

  3. Venom

    Venom Guest

    Problem there for me is that once a drive has bad sectors it's buggared and
    must be replaced. As I said, I wish I would have done one thing at a time so
    I could know what the problem really was.

    Venom, Mar 18, 2006
  4. Venom

    old man Guest

    Some times the hd manu disk checking utility will repair a hd that has
    supposedly bad sectors / problems
    I was also able to repair a supposedly bad hd, that failed under similar
    circumstances to yours, using various dos utilities to completely destroy
    the partition, and then create/format.
    As I said the underlying problem seemed to be caused by the psu

    old man, Mar 18, 2006
  5. Venom

    * * Chas Guest

    <snip>

    GRC has an expensive utility SpinRite 6.0 that can sometimes rescue and
    repair HDDs.

    Some disk checking utilities find a minor problem and mark a whole
    section of sectors as bad and 'quarantines" them. Almost all HDDs have a
    few bad sectors from the factory. The OP could have run into a bad batch
    from his vendor.

    About 6 years ago I bought a stack of IBM 9.1G ATA66 HDDs. About 5 or 6
    of them failed within 6 months of each other - just out of warranty!

    Chas.

    * * Chas, Mar 19, 2006