Baked Laptop Update

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Ryan P., May 27, 2011.

  1. Ryan P.

    Ryan P. Guest

    Well, I went about four months on my baked laptop in perfect happiness
    before my symptoms returned... For those of you who don't remember, my
    laptop screen would occasionally go black, accompanied by the Windows
    "Device removed" sound. I would have to do a screen swap (function f-4
    in my case) a time or two to bring it back.

    Last night, the screen when completely dead... so I baked the laptop
    motherboard again at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, and then turned off the
    oven, opened the door, and let it cool over night right in the oven.

    I just got done putting it back together, and all is good again!

    This time, I looked at things a bit closer as I was reassembling, and
    I saw that the heat sync wasn't actually touching the GPU core. I built
    up the paste until it made contact, but I know this isn't a good
    solution (although it evidently worked for four months...). My options
    are probably a thermal pad, or find some sort of thermally conductive
    glue and attach a piece of copper to the existing heat sync so that it
    meets the core.

    Ideas?

    Thanks,

    Ryan

    Fyi,
    I decided against claiming a new laptop from the settlement with
    Nvidia. The laptop they offered was inferior to what I have now (single
    core processor, no media center controls/remote, no card reader).

    Ryan P., May 27, 2011

  2. Ryan P.

    Bob Villa Guest

    It sounds like you went through a lot of labor for an ill-fitting heat
    sink! (If I did it, it probably wouldn't have worked). Ideally, can
    you replace the heat sink or if it's not flat, "lap" it?

    Bob Villa, May 27, 2011

  3. Ryan P.

    Ryan P. Guest

    Welcome to the world of HP's with Nvida GPU's!

    The whole heat sink assembly is flat.

    It seems to be made up of two different metals... From the exhaust
    fan to just before the GPU, it is copper. It is a different alloy
    (looks like aluminum-based, but I have no real idea) from the GPU to the
    CPU. It makes direct contact with the CPU, but over the GPU, there is
    an additional 1/8" thick piece of copper attached to the bottom, but it
    still leaves about a 1/16" gap between it and the core... and that's
    what I carefully filled with a thick layer of Arctic Silver...

    Right now its running a lot cooler, but I've been careful not to
    stress it out, as I'm afraid the paste will settle if it gets too hot
    and lose contact with the copper.

    I would just buy a new laptop... This one IS going on 4 years... but,
    like everyone else, I'd rather not outlay $800+!

    Ryan P., May 27, 2011
  4. Ryan P.

    Bob Villa Guest

    As, I'm sure you know, the thinner the better for thermal paste. The
    aluminum is maybe anodized (can be many different colors). If there's
    a gap you would think one thing or the other was not flat?!

    Bob Villa, May 27, 2011
  5. Ryan P.

    Ryan P. Guest

    Yeah, normally I put on as little as possible. Although so far it
    seems to be okay... Before, the fan would be blowing out air that was
    uncomfortably warm (physically). Now, its boarding on cool. Speedfan
    reports the GPU around 61C at relative idle (Thundbird and Firefox being
    the only active programs).

    I spent some time this evening looking at the HP website, and the
    replacement heat sink actually comes with thermal pads, so I think for
    some odd reason it was designed with that gap intentionally there to
    make room for a thermal pad. Ick.

    You can see the thermal pad sitting on top of the copper in this
    picture of the heat sink (the GPU sits in the middle). Check out EBay
    auction #130516377516. I note that this entire sink is copper, not like
    mine!

    I can't think of a good way to attach another piece of copper to the
    existing piece to make contact... I may have to end up just buying a
    thick thermal pad...

    Ryan P., May 28, 2011
  6. Ryan P.

    Ryan P. Guest

    eBay auction #220778256222... Copper shim pads. Would those really work?

    Ryan P., May 28, 2011
  7. Ryan P.

    Bob Villa Guest

    My thinking is...instead of joining 2 surfaces, you're joining 4. If
    HP uses the thermal pad go with that. You're way ahead of me on this
    though!

    Bob Villa, May 28, 2011