    Which is the better chip for overclocking , the Barton 3000 at 2170 MHz
    with the 333 MHz bus or the Barton 3000 at 2100 MHz with the 400 MHz bus?

    Max Harrell

    Max Harrell, Dec 28, 2003

  2. Hi,
    I would say the XP3200+ that runs on a 400MHz-FSB, although this will cost
    the most. My XP2500+ runs just fine at XP3200+ speeds (2.2GHz) but it needs
    more processor voltage (vCore) to do this. The *native* XP3200+ will do the
    same, but at a lower vCore of 1.65v which is the default. This means that
    in all likely hood the CPU will go even further with higher voltages.

    Best bang for buck would still be the XP2500+ or XP2600+ (Barton's) as these
    will overclock pretty easily to faster speeds
    --
    Wayne ][

    Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.775vCore
    CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite - 3,200rpm
    ABIT NF7-S (v2.0 - BIOS#14)
    512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (9,3,3,2.0 - 2.7v)
    Sapphire Atlantis 9800 - 3.3ns Samsung (325/290 Default)
    240GB (2x120GB) WD-SE SATA RAID-0 (NTFS - 16k Stripe)
    Antec SX630II Mini-Tower Case Inc 300w PSU
    2 x CoolerMaster 80mm Blue Neon Fans
    WinXP-PRO-SP1
    Cat 3.7 - DX9.0b

    Wayne Youngman, Dec 29, 2003

  3. The 166MHz FSB Barton will have a multiplier of 13.0, and the 200MHz Barton
    will have a multiplier of 10.5, and these multipliers will probably be
    locked. Both chips will probably top out around the same point: 2.2-2.3GHz.
    Ao if you've got the RAM, I'd say go for the 200MHz FSB one, as then your
    FSB will be at 214MHz, as opposed to 173MHz for the 166MHz FSB chip. Of
    course, you could just go with a Barton 2500 with an 11x multiplier and run
    it on a FSB of 205 or so, though this would probably require a vcore boost.

    Michael Brown, Dec 29, 2003