    John Hofmann Guest

    Should I turn off my HP PSC1210 printer when I turn off my computer or leave
    it on all the time?

    John Hofmann, Jul 3, 2003

  2. John Hofmann

    Henry Guest

    You turn your computer off?

    cheers,

    Henry

    Henry, Jul 3, 2003

  3. John Hofmann

    Dave D Guest

    Power on/off cycles are very hard on electronic devices. The problem is the
    heating/cooling causes stress on solder joints and components, sometimes
    resulting in premature failure. I'm not familiar with this model but
    assuming it has a switchmode power supply, the above is especially relevent.
    Only you can weigh up the running costs of leaving it on 24/7 versus life
    expectancy of the printer. A daily on/off power cycle is perfectly
    acceptable if you wish to save money on your power bill, but I would
    personally avoid switching on/off several times a day. (That also goes for
    PCs!) If the owners manual gives a quiescent (idle) power rating for the
    printer, you can make an educated estimation of 24/7 running costs, but
    unfortunately the only power ratings usually given are during operation,
    which don't really help at all.

    HTH

    Dave

    Dave D, Jul 3, 2003
  4. I don't have a HP printer - but all I can say is that I used to leave my
    Canon printer powered up all the time and only used it around 1 a month. The
    ink dried on the print head - costing me nearly £40 for a new printhead. I
    now only power my printer when I actually want to use it (still very
    rarely).

    Maybe HP printers are better designed, or you use your printer more often.
    Just a thought.
    **SS**

    SecretSquirrel, Jul 3, 2003
  5. John Hofmann

    Dave D Guest

    That is a good point. It's alway a good idea to run a 'test print' off once
    every two weeks or so to prevent the print head clogging. The heat from
    leaving the printer on may well have caused your problem sooner, but rarely
    used printers often get clogged. My kids' Epson 500 is now kaput because it
    never got used and the print heads gummed up. One reason I like HPs is the
    integrated cartridge/head design, when you change the cartridge, the print
    head gets changed as well. The big benefit is using cheap refill inks can't
    damage the printer, just pop in a new cartridge when the head wears out.

    Dave

    Dave D, Jul 3, 2003
  6. John Hofmann

    GMAN Guest

    Your printhead didnt dry up from leaving it on all the time, it dried up from lack of use!!!

    GMAN, Jul 4, 2003
  7. from lack of use!!!

    I'd disagree - since not leaving my printer powered up all the time, and I
    still use it very rarely, the printhead has been fine. Surely with the power
    on it generates a little amont of heat - which indirectly speeded up the
    process of drying the ink on the heads?
    **SS**

    SecretSquirrel, Jul 8, 2003
  8. John Hofmann

    Dave D Guest

    No doubt, but it is true that if a printer stands too long without use, the
    solvents evaporate from the print head and it gums up.

    Dave

    Dave D, Jul 8, 2003