    removed from the laptop).

    What are the typical experiences with this model? I bought it last
    fall, but haven't used it much.

    BeadyBeady Bee, Jan 22, 2011

  2. BeadyBeady Bee

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    BeadyBeady Bee typed on Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:44:13 -0800 (PST):
    Oooow! Nice machine! And yes, you are experiencing some sort of battery
    drain when there should be none in hibernation. I only have seen this
    happen on Celeron processors. So this is all new to me.

    Although next time you leave it in hibernating, try removing the battery
    for a second and then reinsert. Then check it after a week. As this
    tends to stop the drain on Celeron processors.

    BillW50, Jan 23, 2011

  3. Weird. OK, will do. Thanks.

    BeadyBeady Bee, Jan 23, 2011
  4. Well, I started the test 2 weeks. With a fully charged battery, I
    hibernated, pulled out the battery for a second, then reinserted.
    Now, two weeks later, it's down to 18%. That's an average of 6.6% a
    day (assuming linear decline, which it most probably is not). I guess
    I got to find a time to call technical support. :( .

    BeadyBeady Bee, Feb 14, 2011
  5. BeadyBeady Bee

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    BeadyBeady Bee typed on Sun, 13 Feb 2011 21:03:15 -0800 (PST):
    Yes it sounds time to me to call too. And thanks for the update. ;-)

    BillW50, Feb 14, 2011
  6. I finally collected all the data I had on my tests, plotted it, and
    saw that the depletion rate follows a straight-ish line from 98% to 0%
    in about 17 days. I called Toshiba support. The gentleman said that
    the laptop is suppose to draw power in hibernation, and that it would
    wake up when the cursor is moved. I am very disturbed by this
    confusion. The issue is now being escalated to 2nd level support.

    BeadyBeady Bee, Apr 13, 2011
  7. BeadyBeady Bee

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Thanks for the update. And I have a couple of new questions. What OS are
    you running? As it appears OS like Windows 7 uses a hybrid hibernation.
    And that could use battery power. Under XP, it shouldn't use any.

    I am still curious if you hibernate, then remove the battery for a few
    seconds and then insert the battery once again. Then let it sit this way
    and see if the battery still drains. I have a hunch that it will stop
    draining, but not 100% sure.

    That gentleman at Toshiba got it wrong. Hibernation shouldn't use any
    power at all. Although standby does as the RAM is still powered and the
    CPU isn't totally off. Laptops can run off of the battery in this state
    anywhere between 6 hours to days. It depends on the make and model of
    the laptop.

    BillW50, Apr 13, 2011
  8. I'm running Windows 7. When you say that it appears that it uses a
    hybrid hibernation mode, do you mean based on my problem, or based on
    a rash of such problems that you have heard about? I haven't been
    able to find much about it on the web.

    I did pop the battery out for a second or two and reinserted it. I
    did this test in February. If I could post an Excel graph (and
    tabular data & comments), I would.

    About hibernation not using any power at all, how does this square off
    about what you said about Windows 7? The terminology used by Windows
    7 (and its help) is "hibernation", not some variation of that term.
    The help also says that the computer is turned off in hibernation (not
    sleeping, not keeping RAM and CPU running). It should draw the same
    power as having the laptop in shutdown mode. For all I know, maybe
    the same depletion is experienced in shutdown. I don't want to test
    that right now, since I'm awaiting a response from Toshiba on what
    troubleshooting step to take next. However, I did test what the
    depletion was when the battery is out, on the shelf. Only 2% over 7
    days (and that might simply be the power expended in bootup).

    BeadyBeady Bee, Apr 15, 2011
  9. P.S. I really hope Toshiba doesn't try to sweep this under the rug by
    trying to convince me that a its normal for hibernation to deplete a
    100% charged battery in 17 days. Not much recourse in that case.

    BeadyBeady Bee, Apr 15, 2011