    in any Power Management features of my Centrino.

    Finally, any essential hints, tips and tweaks for a first time laptop user,
    are greatly appreciated. Cheers.

    Rudiger Flatula, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Rudiger Flatula

    bobb Guest

    If there is one, it would be very old. Since W2K/XP have built-in batt
    meter, no new development of this utility has been necessary.

    Use the one that came with your machine first, then the one built-in
    Windows, one of them ought to work right. Now if you have one of them
    made-in-Sri-Lanka laptops, anything is possible.

    bobb, Mar 6, 2005

  3. Rudiger Flatula

    Tom McCune Guest

    As far as I know, my battery meter is just part of Windows XP, and it does
    display both percentage and estimated time remaining. It seems like the
    only option is Control Panel|Power Options|Advanced tab|Always show icon on
    the task bar.

    Tom McCune, Mar 6, 2005
  4. probably a hardware issue, the only indicator on my laptop is a series of
    rather loud beeps about 10 seconds before it powers down, that is shuts
    off, a/k/a not enough time to save and shutdown softly.

    I reckon you'll just have to live with it.
    1. get a laptop bag. my laptop got scratched and dirty real fast.
    2. if your laptop seems extremely loud, check if the microfone is on ;-)
    damn annoying, mine is right next to the already not too silent
    harddrive.
    3. if you have wireless network, get netstumbler, really neat program to
    find APs and measure the strength.

    Robert Amtjip, Mar 6, 2005
  5. Rudiger Flatula

    Charlie Guest

    I strongly advise that you look after your battery and avoid repeated
    over-charging as this shortens its life. Make it a routine to switch off at
    the mains at the end of each day.

    Try this site for general hints and tips:
    http://www.any-batteries.co.uk/tips.htm

    Hope you find it helpful despite all the typographical errors!

    Best wishes,

    Charlie

    Charlie, Mar 8, 2005
  6. Rudiger Flatula

    juliuslr Guest

    Charlie, I downloaded "mobmeter" and upon installing on my TP600e, I
    saw that although my power adaptor is plugged in (the icon on my
    systray shows "charging"), mobmeter says it is really not charhing the
    battery (my battery tops off at 43% and lasts about 1 hour to get to
    5%). So I think there are two dynamics here going on:

    The laptop charging circuit says: charge the battery as it's charge is
    less than 100%
    The battery smart logic says: accept no charging since I am already
    charged as much as I can take (through the srial communication pins).

    Therefore, leaving the power adaptor plugged in or turned off doesn't
    really matter. When I am using the laptop on battery only I see
    graphically the battery being used, and if 15-30 minutes later I
    plugged the power in, I see charging going on. So, it is really the
    battery pack smart circuit that controls the true charging currents.

    juliuslr, Mar 8, 2005