    Checked all BIOS settings
    Checked for corrupted memory

    Thanks

    fansofbread, Jan 29, 2008

  2. fansofbread

    Journey Guest

    I don't know what model of laptop you have and what OS -- those would
    be useful things to know.

    Could it be due to your power settings which (on Vista even more) can
    be customized quite a bit?

    Or maybe a setting in your bios?

    Usually though when you're talking about slow typing and scrolling, I
    would look at the processes that are running that could be stealing
    resources. Take a look too at the CPU resources being used and in
    what processes at a time you are noticing lagging text.

    This may sound nitpicky but it's likely not "your battery that is
    causing" your computer to be sluggish. Your computer is sluggish when
    running on battery.

    Journey, Jan 29, 2008

  3. fansofbread

    fansofbread Guest

    Yeah sorry about the wording.

    Dell Vostro 1000. Windows XP Home SP2

    fansofbread, Jan 29, 2008
  4. fansofbread

    Tom Scales Guest

    How much memory?

    Anyway, this is actually normal. It is done to preserve battery life.
    Turn off Speedstep in the BIOS and adjust your power settings to Full,
    or something like it, when on battery and the problem will go away.

    And you'll get about 1/2 the battery life.

    Tom Scales, Jan 29, 2008
  5. fansofbread

    RnR Guest

    I don't normally disagree with you <g> but on this I think this is not
    necessary regarding changing bios settings. Most people who have
    this problem don't have to do this and I tend to agree with Journey.
    I DO agree with one thing Tom you said first... How much memory?
    Obviously if he's running 256 definitely not enough, 512 questionable
    and 1 gig should be okay.

    To the OP: Reread Journey's post. I also don't think the battery is
    the problem. Likely a firewall or virus (or similar program) is
    scanning, slowing or stopping other processes during it's operation.
    Recheck your processes running when this happens. I suffer lags in
    preformance when my firewall or virus checker run because I gave my
    firewall / virus checker higher priority over other processes and I'm
    running xp with 2 gigs memory. Yes, it's annoying but I made it do
    this.

    RnR, Jan 29, 2008
  6. The settings Tom is referring to are accessible through the bios, but can
    also be changed through Dell Quickset and I imagine Vista itself.
    HTH
    Robert

    Robert McMillan, Jan 29, 2008
  7. fansofbread

    S.Lewis Guest

    This question is eerily similar to the poster below who had added a 2gb
    SODIMM to a V1000 (when specs only allow for 1gb/2gb max capacity).

    It just appears the poster has had a name change.

    S.Lewis, Jan 29, 2008
  8. right. and he/she dismissed my previous suggestion. but let him/her waste
    time with all the other suggestions. speedstep or any other power saving
    measure should not result in a delay of a typed letter from appearing on the
    screen. the cause of this behavior is because of what i previously
    mentioned.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 29, 2008
  9. fansofbread

    S.Lewis Guest

    I dropped the thread when the poster dismissed exceeding the recommended RAM
    specifications.

    Further, running a budget system on (what I consider to be) off-brand RAM in
    the wrong size......

    It's obvious to me that the poster has it all figured out and doesn't need
    any assistance from me.

    S.Lewis, Jan 29, 2008
  10. fansofbread

    RnR Guest

    Typo: I suffer lags in preformance....
    should be " My system lags in performance "

    Sorry bout that :( . Maybe at that moment I was lagging too.

    RnR, Jan 29, 2008
  11. good point. i missed that. i thought he/she took out the original 512mb
    module and opted just for the 2gb one (system total of 2gb not 2.5gb), but i
    re-read it and think you are right. some people are their own worst enemy.
    like my suggestion (for the same problem that took me ages to solve), it
    would be a very simple thing to test. but i guess there is no fun in
    actually solving the problem, then there would be nothing left to talk about
    since windows machines are so trouble free.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 29, 2008
  12. fansofbread

    RnR Guest

    What makes you so sure that other suggestions are wasteful and yours
    is the only one right?

    I'm not so sure your suggestion is correct but I don't like Nortons
    either due to its quirks so I can't say you're wrong either. I still
    favor the lack of ram or checking processes first.

    The OP should weed thru each suggestion and hopefully one of them will
    work or solve the problem.

    RnR, Jan 29, 2008
  13. nobody knows for sure, but when someone asks a question and is given only
    one solution that actually is know (albeit not well know) to be the culprit
    to produce the exact symptom they describe and they ignore it then it seems
    pretty clear that the problem goes beyond the computer itself. none of the
    suggestions other than using more ram than the system is specified as to
    work with (presumably that windows is capable of working with as dell does
    not sell this machine with any other os - so using unix is no test as to how
    windows will behave), or my suggestion has a shot at solving this. the op
    dismissed both. other suggestions such as speedstep are logical, but even a
    pentium ii laptop running xp with just 256mb ram does not have the symptom
    of a delay in characters appearing after being typed. you know windows, you
    can waste the rest of your life trying 'things' and get nowhere, so if
    someone actually wants to solve a problem the thing to do is start with the
    obvious... such as not installing more memory than it is know to work with
    and look into restricted zones list, each of which are pretty simple things
    to check, and the zones list as being a known (albeit not well know) source
    of the precise things to try before grasping at straws for an fixes. but
    what do i care if this person wants to waste their time and yours... if they
    want to be illogical then nobody can help them and they can't help
    themselves. let them call dell and have dell them to reload their operating
    system, perhaps that will help ;)

    Christopher Muto, Jan 29, 2008
  14. fansofbread

    RnR Guest

    Well maybe we differ on the approach or solution but since I didn't
    follow the last similar post/thread that Stew referred to, I will have
    to take your word for it and agree that if a person wants to act like
    an idiot, then no one can help him/her. And speaking for myself and
    likely others, I'm not here to show how much or little I know nor to
    waste my time with trolls but rather to try to help (if I think I can)
    those that actually want to be helped. Of course I can be wrong and
    I too can learn from others.

    Not to argue with you or Stew but let's hope this poster is not a
    troll but just not articulate with his/her problems. I guess I'd like
    to think positive in this newsgroup :) .

    RnR, Jan 29, 2008
  15. i am just here to have my suggestions ignored. seems to be working.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 30, 2008
  16. fansofbread

    Journey Guest

    Right -- I didn't see the other thread (what's the subject line?) but
    my post (as well as RnR's) pointed more towards a running process. Not
    sure if that's what you said Christopher.

    I do know that lagging text and / or mouse is very irritating and
    makes me swear at my computer (even more than I usually do lol) -- one
    of the benefits of living alone.

    It was kind of scary that after I installed Dragon Naturally Speaking
    the computer seemed to gain the ability to talk back and since then we
    have resolved most of our differences. I am just afraid that if I
    lose power I'll have to start all over again or that it might have
    some kind of evil personality that brainwashes me to do terrible
    things -- like vote Republican <shudder>

    Journey, Jan 30, 2008
  17. fansofbread

    Journey Guest

    Wow, that's one long paragraph! Hard to read without the breaks.
    Actually it's probably due to my aging eyes which need progressive
    lenses.

    What was your suggestion Christopher -- was that in another thread? If
    so what was the subject line?

    Journey, Jan 30, 2008
  18. fansofbread

    Journey Guest

    Good points RnR -- processes like automatically scheduled
    defragmenting or virus checking have caused text delays, in addition
    to rogue processes.

    Journey, Jan 30, 2008
  19. fansofbread

    RnR Guest

    Chris don't be so hard on yourself. I know you are pretty good at
    solving a lot of problems here and a frequent contributor. Frankly
    sometimes I feel like you where I feel ignored especially after either
    giving a post a lot of thought or just writing a long post in reply to
    someone's problem and it gets no reply or ignored.

    Remember this is the internet so you can't take anything personal even
    if directed at you ( I too have to take this advice ) !! Yeah I know
    at times it's tough advice to swallow.

    RnR, Jan 30, 2008
  20. fansofbread

    RnR Guest

    The computer actually talks back ? I'm sorta use to that as my
    daughters used to do a lot of that to me <g>.

    RnR, Jan 30, 2008