Battery Question for Inspiron 8100

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Guest, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I've finally gone Wireless and got it set up yesterday with my
    Inspiron 8100. (I used D-Link router and PC card)

    After barely ever using my I8100 away from its home desk I'm finding
    my battery life is terrible! Maybe an hour total! I got a message
    that it was half gone and had "an hour" left and it died in 15
    minutes.

    Is the battery burned out from leaving it in the I8100 for a year+ and
    not using it?

    Will it "come back" if I discharge it a few times (I thought these
    Lithium batteries didn't work that way).

    Should I cave in and buy a new battery?

    TIA

    SCD

    Guest, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Guest

    S. Guest

    Do you have an extra battery (modular bay) in addition to your primary
    battery? I have the same exact laptop using a Microsoft PC card and
    Microsoft wireless router. I know the PC card uses up juice as well as any
    peripherals you have connected while on battery. Both of my batteries don't
    hold a charge like they use to. I use to go 5+ hours with both in. Now I'm
    lucky to get 3 hours with both in. I know there are a bunch of batteries
    for sale on e-Bay. I definitely think buying a new one is in
    order....Sorry!

    S., Mar 1, 2004

  3. Guest

    Tiny Tim Guest

    I have a 5.5 year old Inspiron 7000 that still lasts over 2 hours on its
    original battery and it's been connected to the mains pretty much 24*7 with
    the battery on charge the whole time.

    I have an Inspiron 8000 (very similar to the 8100) that is approaching 3
    years old. As far as the battery is concerned it has been treated in exactly
    the same way as the I7000. Yet my battery life is a pathetic 30 minutes at
    best. The battery monitor tells complete lies, estimating over 2 hours life
    when 100% full and this holds true for the first 10-15 minutes. Then the
    estimate just collapses at the rate of about 10 minutes life vanishing for
    every 1 minute powered up, until the battery reaches 10% remaining. At this
    point the rate of decline slows right back down to last about another 10
    minutes until the 3% standby threshold.

    I've used Win XP's performance monitor to view the battery charge and
    charging state over time and it looks like the I8000 just cooks its
    battery, cycling charging on/off every few minutes, which is a guaranteed
    way to f##k a battery. The discharge slope is very interesting too - very
    flat at the 100%-90% period and the 10%-0% end but dropping like a stone
    between 90%-10% charge. The Dell forums have plenty of chat on the subject.
    If the I8100 is like the I8000 then your battery is well and truly shot and
    cannot be recovered.

    If you do get a new battery and want to leave it on mains power extensively
    then your best bet is to remove the battery once fully charged. This is also
    the advice on my girlfriend's brand new Acer laptop.

    Tiny Tim, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Guest

    Dave Guest

    When I fried one of the batteries in my I8200, I did some research on
    lithium ion batteries. The first thing to know is that they suck when it
    comes to overall lifespan. They begin to age the moment they are made. The
    don't have the "memory" that ni-cads have, nor the charge leakage of
    nickel-metal-hydrides. But they have a lifespan of just about two years
    (give or take). It's so bad, that Dell doesn't cover them with their
    extended warranties (even the "Complete Care" warranty, complete my ass!).
    If your battery is giving you such short usage, replace it. I found a great
    price at www.pacificbattery.com with an 18 month (!) warranty for the
    4460Mah battery for the I8200. Dell only provides a 12 month warranty, and
    wanted more $$$. Your I8100 should take the same battery.

    Whatever you do, don't buy a used battery. Most of the problems are age
    related, and used is used.

    I'm hoping someone develops a ni-met-hyd battery that fits/works in my
    I8200. They don't hold a charge for long (60 days or so), but they provide
    quite a capacity, all without the memory problems with ni-cads.

    Good luck,

    Dave, Mar 1, 2004
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you Dave!

    I just went and ordered a new battery from PacificBattery.com

    I got the ultra model and it was still $40 less than the regular one
    from Dell's site.

    SCD

    Guest, Mar 2, 2004
  6. Guest

    Dave Guest

    <snip>

    With a better warranty! You are very welcome.

    Dave, Mar 2, 2004