    to find the battery status, but it isn't the same...

    Thanks
    David

    Lobster, Dec 16, 2004

  2. It's a Power option under Control Panel.

    William P.N. Smith, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Yes that's the same Power Options I mentioned; but when I check the box
    which says "icon on toolbar" or whatever, all I get is the Power Options
    icon, not the battery itself.

    David

    Lobster, Dec 16, 2004
  4. It doesn't turn into a battery icon unless you disconnect AC power...

    sleezy beetch, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Your only way is to find a third-party software that offers that
    function.

    Hillinsilence, Dec 17, 2004
  6. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    This contradicts the other replyers, who reckon I should be able to see
    this icon with Windows software. Who's right? :)

    David

    Lobster, Dec 17, 2004
  7. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Sure, but I don't see it even when AC power IS disconnected!

    David

    Lobster, Dec 17, 2004
  8. Lobster

    John Doue Guest

    Seems to me you should ask this question on this NG, where somebody will
    probably know the answer. Specify whether this problem developped after
    you installed SP2. Good luck.

    John Doue, Dec 17, 2004
  9. Now I know what do you mean :). Your problem is, whatever if you
    connect the AC adapter or not, the battery icon would never shown on
    your taskbar, is it?

    Perhaps you will check your CMOS settings, see if there's some settings
    about this and you made wrong decision.

    Also I'm now contacting to the Microsoft Techinical Support, maybe they
    can solve this problem.

    Hillinsilence, Dec 18, 2004
  10. The truth is that, you can see at most a plugger icon on the system
    tray if you enabled the "Always show icon on taskbar" while you are
    using an AC adapter, and you can see at most a battery icon there if
    you are using a battery. So, if Microsoft doesn't offer the function
    you described above, you can only use a third party software to achieve
    that.

    Hillinsilence, Dec 18, 2004
  11. Lobster

    Cyclops Guest

    What isn't the same exactly? Does the icon show as a plug icon that
    doesn't ever change or something?

    Cyclops, Dec 19, 2004
  12. Well, here is the answer.
    Follow these steps and you'll solve your problem.
    1.Open "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel
    2.Click "Add/Remove Windows Components" on the left of the window
    3.Select "Network service" and click "Detail"
    4.Remove the tick in front of the item "UPnP user interface"
    5.Click OK, click Next, reboot after finished.
    6.If your problem remains, contact your power/battery manufacture for
    new softwares to install.

    Notice: the strings mentioned above may not be exactly as they are on
    your computer, this is just a translation, I'm using a Simplified
    Chinese version of Windows XP SP2.

    Hillinsilence, Dec 20, 2004
  13. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    I meant, "...isn't the same as having a little battery icon which
    displays your remaining charge in real time."

    Actually, though, what I wrote was slightly misleading in that the icon
    in my system tray is actually for "Dell Quickset" - it's just a
    front-end for a series of often-used XP utilities... I meant I have to
    click on the "Quickset" icon, then I get a menu option, one of which is
    'Power Options' - which takes me into the same XP program I would
    otherwise view via Control Panel.

    David

    Lobster, Dec 20, 2004
  14. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Well thank you - that works!!

    What's the reason for this - a Microsoft bug? (surely not...)

    Unfortunately, I need to have UPnP enabled for full functionality of
    MS-Messenger, so I guess this means I have to decide which is more
    important... :-(

    David

    Lobster, Dec 20, 2004
  15. Lobster

    Cyclops Guest

    A lot of Dell users have reported this problem, myself, I stopped the
    problem by uninstalling Dell's QuickSet (as it was a pain in my ass
    anyway). Using the Windows XP utilities just by themselves. The only
    things I have to add to that are:

    When starting the computer you can't (for some reason) have your WiFi
    card inserted into the PCMCIA slot at the time of computer start.
    When installing new drivers, software, etc, you'll sometimes find your
    icons won't show up properly directly after a system change. Log off
    your account on XP, log back in, and they should be there.

    That is what works for me.

    As far as why this happens, I'm not entirely sure (as far as I know no
    one is). It is certainly a bug, you can try doing some of the
    following though...

    Go into your services (under Admin tools in the control panel) and
    disable UPnP host, your computer doesn't need to HOST UPnP capabilities
    unless you are running ICS and people behind your system on the network
    need to UPnP their way to the network.

    Also, switch UPnP support in the services to manual. This will start
    it when its required and not when you're not using it (in theory).

    Cyclops, Dec 20, 2004
  16. Lobster

    John Doue Guest

    This tip is so interesting - and so unexpected - I suggest you share it
    on > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

    Regards

    John Doue, Dec 20, 2004
  17. As Microsoft's support says(I called them at their 800 phone), it's
    because of the power management program don't stay peacely with the
    UPnP device.

    Hillinsilence, Dec 23, 2004
  18. Lobster

    Cyclops Guest

    That is bull... I disabled all of the UPnP devices on my network, even
    blocked those ports in the router, no devices could be detected no
    matter what and it still happened to me while I had the factory setup
    on my Dell.

    Cyclops, Dec 23, 2004
  19. I've no idea, I've never used some devices that supports UPnP. The only
    thing I know about it is if I enable it in BitSpirit, BitSpirit will
    not response while loading =)

    Hillinsilence, Dec 23, 2004