    75UYF - with 3800mah
    how many of the led's should light up ??
    tnx - Phil -

    Phil Schuman, Dec 5, 2003

  2. they should all light if fully charged. if partially charged then a
    continuous row of lights show the level. if only every other light turns on
    then the battery is defective. batteries do not last for much more than a
    year. often shorter when heavily used. even with a 3 year warranty on a
    system the battery never has more than just one year of warranty. it is
    considered a consumable.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Phil Schuman

    Don Coon Guest

    Which raises another question : )

    I understand that battery life is more related to recharge cycles than
    years. For example, the batteries in my seldom used and thus seldom
    recharged Sony camcorder are over 5 years old and show no signs of
    degradation.

    Now and then I see manufacturer's instructions advising me not to recharge
    batteries until an indicator shows I've reached 20% or less remaining
    capacity.

    As a result, I've pulled the batteries from my laptop which almost always is
    connected to its AC adapter/charger. Does this make sense? It'll take a
    long time to tell : )

    Don Coon, Dec 5, 2003
  4. i certainly oversimplify the issue by saying that these batteries do not
    last more than a year. it depends on the specific battery technology, the
    specific battery (two models offered by dell for the latitude c610), and the
    way it is used.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Phil Schuman

    mike Guest

    I'm sure it varies by chemistry.

    I read one study that concluded that shallower discharge gives more
    cycles. BUT, if you multiply depth of discharge by number of cycles,
    you get a number that's nearly constant. Stated another way, the total
    amount of enerby delivered over the life of the cell was pretty much
    constant.

    Another study concluded that the life of cells depended on the time on
    charge. They concluded that occasional fast charge was much better than
    continuous trickle charge. Not sure if that applies in normal cycle
    use, 'cause you can't wait for slow charge anyway.

    mike

    laptops and parts Test Equipment
    Honda CB-125S
    TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
    Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

    mike, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Phil Schuman

    Phil Schuman Guest

    well - fully charged - a couple of times -
    all the LEDs are lit -
    but it's only lasting about an hour - then done :(

    Phil Schuman, Dec 6, 2003
  7. you could confirm your power management scheme to try to extend battery life
    as much as possible (black out display and shut of disks in 3 mins of
    inactivity, dime lcd when on battery, etc), but even new, i don't think
    these ever lasted more than two hours on battery. for extended use you
    could use a second battery in the modular drive bay, but, of course, that
    also adds weight.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 6, 2003