    see no support for HT in the Bios.
    Anyone know the answer?
    Thanks

    Rick, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Rick

    TomG Guest

    did you try emailing Abit directly?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Yes, it will.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Well, I could of done that, but thought that I might get a quicker
    response here. You see, the sale that Newegg was having on that CPU is
    a one day which ends at 4pm PST, about one hour from now.

    Thanks Anyway, Rick

    Rick, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Thanks Richard.

    Rick, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Rick

    TomG Guest

    well, Richard gave you a response...

    TomG, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Rick

    TomG Guest

    Newegg is not a bad place to visit... we heard some slightly disturbing
    stories about them from a couple of posters a while back but I've bought
    tons of stuff from them without issue...

    enjoy your new toys...

    TomG, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Yes, he sure did, and I thanked him for it.

    I went and purchased the cpu from Newegg, and of course just had to
    get some more ram, and a new video card from my HTPC. I love that
    store, just hate visiting the site, 'cause I always seem to end up
    buying something.
    Rick

    Rick, Jan 28, 2004
  9. No problemo! Only things to add (although you may already be aware of this)
    is that if you're running an SMP aware operating system like NT/2K/XP,
    you'll likely need to reinstall the OS before the proper dual proc kernel is
    installed, it's not simply a case of plug and play.

    Richard Hopkins, Jan 28, 2004
  10. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Oh man, I didn't realize that. I am running windows XP, but reload it?
    (Yuk!).

    Back when I was fooling around with my bp6 dual setup, I was running
    win2k and thought it was possible to just change a setting in the
    device manager, (computer/uniprocessor now) and that would cause
    windows to load the correct Kernal at next boot.

    I'll have to do some more searching on this, as I really do not want
    to have to reload everything. It's been a long time since I had to do
    that.But, If I do... I do.
    Rick

    Rick, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Well I found some info that says it can be done, so I'll give it a go
    when I recieve the chip, Friday. I'll report back just in case anyone
    is interested.
    Rcik

    Rick, Jan 29, 2004
  12. Rick

    TomG Guest

    I did not have to reload XP when I installed a HT cpu. on the first boot
    after installation of the cpu, the system detected the HT cpu and installed
    the software to support it. Task Manager shows the dual cpu's as does
    Device Manager. I am *not* saying this will work in every situation but
    just that it did in my situation...
    it did in my case...
    boot up and see what happens...

    TomG, Jan 29, 2004
  13. Cool. Think it's one of those occasions where sometimes it works and
    sometimes it doesn't.
    If you look in the "Computer" section of Device Manager, does it list an
    "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" or an "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"?
    Indeedy. No reason not to try it. :)

    Richard Hopkins, Jan 29, 2004
  14. Rick

    TomG Guest

    it shows the ACPI Multiprocessor PC...

    TomG, Jan 29, 2004
  15. That's cool; that's what it should be. I've seen a couple of separate
    instances where, after upgrading an existing installation with a
    Hyperthreaded CPU, both the logical CPU's were recognised in Device Manager,
    but the "Computer" section still showed a uniprocessor PC, and only one of
    the two logical processors was receiving instructions.

    Richard Hopkins, Jan 29, 2004
  16. Rick

    TomG Guest

    yeah, I even see both the logical cpu's tasking differently in Task Manager
    and in MBM...

    take care...

    TomG, Jan 30, 2004
  17. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I recieved and "tried" installing the new CPU in my bd7-IIr board, and
    the stupid retention bracket on the board snapped off as I was
    latching the intel hsf in place. I've had a few hsf assemblies on the
    board including stock intel units with never and issue untill now.

    I ended up removing the retainer from another computer I have here and
    put it on my abit board, then installed the zalman cooler I was using
    prior, added the extra 512mb of ram and booted into windows.

    Windows recognized the hyperthreading cpu and loaded the "ACPI
    multiprocessor PC" Kernal without me having to do a thing. Windows now
    sees 2 cpu's.

    But now, I need to find another p4 retaining bracker for my HTPC,
    since I stole one off of it. Anyone know where to get one? I have done
    some searching to no avail.

    Rick, Feb 2, 2004