    what to do??
    will ABIT honor somekind of warrantee?
    Wolf

    Wolf, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Wolf

    Ixnei Guest

    You either replace the capacitors, or get Homie to do it for you:

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

    I seriously doubt there's any kind of 5 year warrantee on motherboards,
    let alone anything more than about 1 year...

    --
    We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
    country on at least a weekly basis.

    Ixnei, Feb 3, 2004

  3. It might be worth asking ABIT about it. They have been honoring some
    warranties for longer than the original period if the board has the bad
    caps.

    Daniel L. Belton, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Wolf

    Me Tooo Guest

    Me Tooo, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Wolf

    TomG Guest

    Homie will likely do it better and quicker...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 3, 2004

  6. Lol,

    "Homie fix your bulge good, only five dollar, he love you long time"

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Wolf

    TomG Guest

    LOL! Yup, just call me pimp bulgemeister!

    TomG, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Wolf

    TomG Guest

    did you note what type of caps had been used in the repair? just curious if
    they are now repairing with known, good caps or still using the same types
    that were originally failing.

    TomG, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Wolf

    Top-poster Guest

    Well that was the sub-text, no ?

    Top-poster, Feb 3, 2004
  10. Wolf

    DaveL Guest

    ROTFLOL :)

    Dave

    DaveL, Feb 3, 2004
  11. Wolf

    Wolf Guest

    here is what I found out:

    http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=21314#comments

    Feb. 17, 2003. 10:25 AM TORONTO STAR

    RACHEL ROSS
    TECHNOLOGY REPORTER

    Thomas Geery turned on his computer one morning and heard a small
    explosion, like the distant sound of a child's cap gun. pop!
    But Gerry, a computer technician from Herndon Va., knew it wasn't
    child's play. With more than 25 years experience on the job, he knew his
    computer had just blown a capacitor.

    Gary Headlee has replaced some 40,000 leaky capacitors on almost 1,500
    computer motherboards over the past year, including Geery's. The
    electronics technician in Midvale, Utah, first encountered the problem
    when he found leaky capacitors on his own computer motherboard.

    "I'm seeing an epidemic of this," said Carey Holzman, who builds and
    sells custom PCs in Glendale, Ariz. "(The manufacturers) are saying, `We
    don't have that problem. We don't know what you're talking about.'"

    6 - Posted on Jan 16, 2004 at 1:30 AM by SleepNoMore Reply
    <http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=21314#comments> P.s. the
    picture you can't see here is viewable on a tech website called
    www.careyholzman.com (Leaking Capacitors header on left hand side frame
    of page). Shows various horror stories, corroded and/or bloated
    capacitors, damaged mobos.
    Abit (kudos) stepped up and admitted this was a problem at the time. (PS
    I have never owned an ABIT board - but they have a good reputation).
    7 - Posted on Jan 16, 2004 at 3:45 AM by Disorganise Reply
    <http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=21314#comments>
    errr...isn't the press release saying they (Albatron) have NOT had a
    capacitor leak?
    8 - Posted on Jan 16, 2004 at 10:59 AM by segagenesis Reply
    <http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=21314#comments> Bad caps
    in a computer have been around for a long time (I still remember old
    days of power supplies going BANG) but I have come across unusually more
    mainboards in repairs over the past few years with bad caps. Does not
    matter who made it, it seems to effect almost anyone. Its not a deathly
    serious issue of mainboards failing left and right but its more than I
    remember. Good to see some are actually paying attention to the problem :p
    9 - Posted on Jan 16, 2004 at 5:43 PM by AlabamaEnigma Reply
    <http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=21314#comments> At my
    shop, we get at least one system a day with bad caps. Most are either
    older Dell's or E-Machines, or home-brew systems using popular brands of
    boards. We have seen a major problem with MSI, Abit (glad to hear they
    are fixing their problem), Epox, and Soyo. I have never seen a bad Intel
    or Asus (at lease not because of the caps). We have had to stop offering
    many brands because of the capacitor problems. The motherboard companies
    have known about this problem for a long time, but some are just now
    chaning their designs to switch to another brand of cap. I can't wait
    for more brands to change so I can offer them to customers without
    worrying about long-term failures.
    10 - Posted on Jan 16, 2004 at 8:20 PM by AlecRyben Reply
    <http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=21314#comments> "...We
    have had to stop offering many brands..."

    I had three BE6-11 boards repaired by A-BIT in the last six months. Cost
    was just shipping and handling.
    http://www.abit-usa.com/services/rma/

    metooo

    U.S.A. Part Information:

    Nichicon "low E.S.R." caps are available from Mouser :
    http://www.mouser.com/
    The part # is : 647-UPW1A152MPH6
    As an alternative, a suitable Panasonic part is available from :

    Digikey at www.digi-key.com <http://www.digi-key.com/>
    Here's Digikey's part # P10228-ND
    Panasonic's part # EEU-FC1A152
    Description : CAP 1500UF 10V ELECT FC RADIAL
    Capacitance 1500uF
    Rated Voltage 10V
    Tolerance 20%
    Series FC
    Package / Case Radial
    Packaging Bulk
    Features Aluminum
    Maximum Temperature 105°C

    Shipping Address:

    To:
    Gary Headlee
    692 Lennox St.
    Midvale, Utah 84047

    <mailto:> is paypal address
    $ 50 per board discount $5 per board - insure!! For services for WS
    repair..

    http://www.careyholzman.com/

    leads to

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com <http://www.motherboardrepair.com/>

    1. Send the board packed in a box not much larger than the original
    box (don't use those padded paper envelopes, they don't provide
    enough protection. I don't need a CPU or memory with the
    motherboards. Include with the motherboard a money order /cashiers
    check (cash is ok with me if it's ok with you) for $50.00*
    Or use your credit card through PayPal (send PayPal to my e-mail):

    Please, no personal checks.

    2. If you use a slot 1 CPU, put a note in the box to let me know, I
    will leave extra space between the slot and caps to avoid
    clearance problems.

    3. To expedite repairs, Please include a Pre-addressed return
    shipping label.

    4. The Post Office has a #1092 Priority Mail box, it's FREE ! and the
    perfect size for motherboards.

    5. Please include your e-mail address inside the box

    · Removal and replacement of ALL filter caps rated 1000uf and above,
    the "c-49" mod if needed, Using only top quality Nichicon or Panasonic
    low E.S.R. capacitors that are designed for switching mode regulated
    power circuits.

    · Cleaning of board surfaces and sockets.

    · Boot test, basic stability test and diagnostics. (I run most boards
    for about 2 hours)

    · Overclocking test to 133MHz F.S.B.

    · YES , I pay the Return shipping up to $10 Priority Mail Un-Insured.

    Notes: · Add $2 if you want insurance.

    · Package will be returned by Priority Mail unless otherwise specified.

    · Contact me by e-mail if you need overnight/Fed-ex /UPS red.

    · If the board doesn't pass the boot test or has major secondary
    problems, I will at your option:

    1. Return the board to you with a refund less the cost of the caps
    ($1.00ea.) and the cost of return shipping.
    2. Refund your money less the cost of the caps ($1.00 ea.) and put
    the board in the scrap pile.
    3. Give an e-mail estimate of repair costs if you are interested.

    · The "C-49" mod only applies to the EARLY BE6II series, changing the
    value of c-49 improves reliability with regard to some of the early
    Geforce video cards.

    · When you get the board back from me, boot into bios and apply your
    favorite settings, as I tend to change several items in bios while
    testing the board for stability.

    · The new caps are 2mm larger than the originals and spacing/placement
    is very limited, in some cases it's necessary to tilt the new caps at an
    angle to allow clearance of the URM and ATX connection. Also depending
    on the arrangement. On many BX models I change the value of the AGP and
    Memory filter caps and install it sideways to allow for oversized CPU
    coolers.

    · If you are impressed with the quality of my work, please say
    something nice in the newsgroups.

    I have went through the process of returning some of "bad" boards to

    ABIT last week and am VERY pleased with ABIT. Go to their websit (I

    don't have the exact URL here at home) I think just abit.com will get

    you started. There is an area to get an RMA number, fill out the

    necessary information like serial # of each board, date of purchase,

    (rough idea is close enough)- be sure to click receipt and warranty IS

    included even though you probably don't have it. In the comments

    field explain about the CAPS and give them your return email add.

    Submit the form and you will be notified what to do and will get an

    RMA # issued. The form can be used for up to 5 boards, if you have

    more then you have to fill in another form. I had SL6 boards and was

    told by ABIT that if they have some in stock, even though they don't

    sell them anymore, they would issue new boards or they will rebuild

    the old boards FREE! VERY pleased with the service, I expect to have

    my "new" boards in a couple of days and will only cost the price of

    freight to get them replaced. Thanks ABIT for standing behind their

    product even when the problem was from another manufacture.

    HTH

    Monty

    Wolf, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Yep... I've got a board here that I have been meaning to send to Homie
    but keep forgetting to box it up and get it in the mail.

    Daniel L. Belton, Feb 4, 2004
  13. Wolf

    Wolf Guest

    CAREY had the bad BE6 II with bad capacitors and swollen leaking
    capacitors repaired within hours (shipped the same day he received them)
    and he answers the phone ( call Utah info for the number its not on the
    web - not that easy) and he changes ALL caps and he drove to FED EX to
    ship.... etc etc etc great service
    www.careyholzman.com
    and
    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/