be6 no boot..pin 2 connectors correct?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Cuchulan, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Cuchulan

    Cuchulan Guest

    HI i am putting my old be6 mobo into another case and When i go to start it
    I get no boot no video and fter a few seconds a lound continuous bepp like
    a police siren or ambulance..be doo...be doo.be doo.ect. :)
    I remember the original manual had the pin 2 connectors wrong for the
    power led and powersw etc. I downloaded the manual from abit's website and
    I am assuming it is correct. As far as I know everything is connected
    correctly I have an intel celeron 700 on a slot 1 with fan attached to fan 2
    fan2..I have a sis6326agp pci card (i moved to differnt slots and same
    problem occurs) it is in tight ..also have 392mb of memory 168 pin dimms
    ...rechecked all those and they are in tight...could my cpu be bad? the cpu
    fan comes on at power up so i dont think it is overheating
    be6
    Intel celeron700 370 pin in slot 1 pga slotket
    392mb ram
    13 gig wd
    sis 6326agp/pci card with 8mb memory
    TIA Cuchulan

    those

    Cuchulan, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Cuchulan

    Jerry Polyak Guest

    If I remember correctly the siren signifies CPU overtemp. Just because
    the fan comes on doesn't mean that it's not overheating. Check your
    heat sink for proper mounting. Did you apply some sort of medium
    between the CPU and the HS (i.e. arctic silver or equivalent)?

    Jerry Polyak, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Cuchulan

    Cuchulan Guest

    I have to get some artic silver and check capacitators on this be6 board
    in the mean time i am using abit vl-6 with an intel p3 1.0ghz and it booted
    up fine...Thanks for all your help
    Cuchulan

    Cuchulan, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Cuchulan

    TomG Guest

    POST codes are one tone beeps of various number and length. the POST codes
    do not change pitch. based on the original description, it sounded to me
    like the sound he was getting was a two tone alarm which *would* indicate a
    temperature or voltage problem on the board.

    a cool to the touch cpu heat sink can mean that the cpu does not have
    thermal contact with the cpu and is not transferring heat. meanwhile, the
    cpu is going thermal.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 113,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jul 12, 2003
  5. Cuchulan

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Read http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm . Also I'd suggest it
    would be less embarrasing if you hold off on the personal attacks until
    making sure of your ground. Refraining from comments that contribute
    nothing to a thread might be an even better idea. Also try reading the
    original post again.

    Phil Weldon,

    Phil Weldon, Jul 13, 2003
  6. Cuchulan

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Try the web cite I included
    http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

    Continuous high/low
    Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also
    be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan
    speed.

    Phil Weldon, Jul 13, 2003
  7. Cuchulan

    Phil Weldon Guest

    When I look at the cite page at
    http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

    I see
    "Continuous high/low
    Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also
    be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan
    speed."

    The original poster stated "When I go to start up I get no boot, no video...
    clearly an indication that heat is not the source of the beep code.

    You have misread the discription of the beeps in the original post and thus
    found the answer you wanted rather than the relevant answer.

    Phil Weldon,

    Phil Weldon, Jul 13, 2003
  8. Cuchulan

    Jerry Polyak Guest

    Right. "May also be due to excess heat". That sounds familiar.

    BE6 BIOS does not have a setting for fan speed. But I could be wrong.
    I've only owned one for the past 5 years.

    And any competent technician will listen to the complaint first. Let me
    guess, if the poster said that he gets no boot, no video and therefore
    can not use his word processor then your advice would be to reinstall
    the word-processing application?

    Jerry Polyak, Jul 13, 2003
  9. Cuchulan

    JimL Guest

    Phil,
    From my experience with my BE6, THAT's my bet.

    JimL, Jul 13, 2003
  10. Cuchulan

    TomG Guest

    alright, Phil. Here is a quote from your original posting, 7/12/03 at 2:08
    PM:

    {quote}

    Forget the Arctic Silver. The beep you hear is a POST beep code that
    indicates the problem when the boot cannot progress far enough to display on
    the video monitor and has NOTHING AT ALL to do with heat. How could it?
    Your CPU is not even warm. If you look in your manual or search the web for
    the beep codes used by the BIOS manufacturer you will discover the problem -
    most likely an improperly inserted display adapter or memory module.

    {end quote}

    now, you turn around and post something that just might allude to heat?
    sorry dude. you have blown this one and you still won't admit it.

    TomG, Jul 13, 2003
  11. Cuchulan

    Phil Weldon Guest

    I don't believe so. From the original post description the beep code occurs
    during the post (that is, before the video display become active) and before
    heat becomes a factor. If a solution is desired, then the interpretation
    should be as the cited page states. After all, thinking should be used in
    making a diagnosis:

    1. the beep code occurs during post before successful invocation of the
    display adapter; the beep code indicates an immediate problem that prevents
    the post from getting past the initial check.

    2. the poster had just swapped cases.

    Phil Weldon,

    Phil Weldon, Jul 13, 2003
  12. Cuchulan

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Please read the cited page. If you make up your own definitions to fit your
    preconceptions then discussions aren't possible. Read the title at the top
    of the page. Think about the definition of the word 'code'. Read the entry
    adjacent to 'Repeating high/low'. Obviously SOME beep codes ARE two tone.

    Phil Weldon,
    "E pur si muove."

    Phil Weldon, Jul 13, 2003
  13. Cuchulan

    TomG Guest

    yeah... I hear ya, Phil. I think you have beaten this dead horse into the
    ground and you have demonstrated that even in reasonable "discussion" that
    you are unwilling to consider a different take on a situation. I don't
    think, in this particular situation, you painted yourself in the best light.
    Personal opinion.

    TomG, Jul 13, 2003
  14. Cuchulan

    JimL Guest

    TomG,

    I agree.

    JimL, Jul 13, 2003
  15. Cuchulan

    Cuchulan Guest

    HI I want to thank everyone for their suggestions..i will have to recheck
    everything on my setup and see what the problem was. In the mean time i
    have switched boards to an abit vl-6 with a p3 1.0g cpu and can use same
    memory,heatsink , fan and video cards,etc. even same case and everything
    is workinmg fine. First chance i get I will check out the other celeron 700 cpu and be-
    6 board that I had

    Cuchulan

    Cuchulan, Jul 14, 2003