    board?

    Thanks

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Steve

    TomG Guest

    you can fit any non-Tualatin P3 or Celeron cpu on that board without a
    Tualatin (Slot-T) adapter. be advised that some boards do not do well with
    a Slot-T adapter either. I had a board that I tried a Tualatin adapter on
    and it would not boot about 90% of the time... you can get a Coppermine
    compatible adapter and install a non-Tualatin FC-PGA (Tualatin is FC-PGA2)
    P3 or Celeron cpu as well.

    in many cases, P3 prices are high enough to make you think twice about
    spending the money on one when P4 prices are not a lot higher... I think
    some folks are trying to get all they can of P3 cpu's just because they know
    they have been out of production for some time.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks Tom for your response.

    I've been trying to upgrade from a cel 500 to a cel 1.1gh using a abit
    slocket. The slocket has provisions for coppermines but I just can't get
    it to boot. Any more clues perhaps?

    Thanks again

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Steve

    TomG Guest

    you sure you didn't get a Tualatin Celeron? have you flashed to TH bios?
    if not, I'd fit the old cpu and flash to TH and then see if you can get
    going... also, be aware that if you have any failing capacitors on the
    board, slower cpu's might be more tolerant of the caps that are failing and
    faster cpu's might refuse to boot or run in a stable fashion with the
    failing caps onboard.

    take a look at the caps on the mobo and look for any domed tops or crusty
    stuff on the tops or dark fluid leaking from the bottoms.
    --
    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20Pic/BE6II%20bad%20caps1.jpg
    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20Pic/BX133%20caps.jpg

    TomG, Nov 1, 2003