best board for Xeon W3680

Discussion in 'IBM' started by The Derfer, Dec 28, 2010.

  1. The Derfer

    The Derfer Guest

    I'm about to buy a Xeon W3680 CPU. Only need a single-physical-CPU
    system.

    Three years ago I made the mistake of buying a Xeon 5160 and mating it
    to a Gigabyte
    GA-7VCSV-RH board that had nothing more than a 1x PCIe slot for
    video. Just try FINDING
    such a card. Anyway ...

    What is the best board I can buy for modest (but with aspirations)
    video needs (3D a plus)
    and expansion with 16x PCIe slots or whatever's more modern.
    Also I want to be able to fit this into my ATX case which is this
    massive Startech:
    http://us.startech.com/product/ATXFULL635V-

    .... even if the board is a CEB rather than ATX.

    What's your recommendation for the perfect board for the W3680?
    I plan to dual-boot RHEL5 and Windows 7 64-bit edition. Will be
    compiling C programs on the
    Linux side while doing more multimedia-based stuff and editing on the
    Windows 7 side.

    The Derfer, Dec 28, 2010

  2. The Derfer

    Paul Guest

    For chuckles, I gave this page a whirl. And plugged W3680 in.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    P6T WS Professional ALL 0913

    P6T6 WS Revolution ALL 0609

    P6T7 WS SuperComputer ALL 0607

    So apparently, the BIOS on those is set up to take a Xeon. But
    it also implies, that motherboards with a similar chipset
    will also work. (As long as the BIOS approves of it.)

    You can see here, the last of those boards, is a bit of overkill. $400!

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131390

    It might be better to just Google "W3680 X58" and see what pops up.
    That'll get you stuff like this.

    http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=101224

    "May 11, 2010, Taipei, Taiwan – ASRock Inc., the leading motherboard
    manufacturer today proudly announce its X58 Extreme3 and X58 Extreme
    motherboards now support Intel’s newly launched six-core Xeon W3680
    processor. Differed from desktop models, ASRock X58 Extreme3 and
    X58 Extreme motherboards can now support server CPU usage and even
    with ECC memory !"

    Lots of people in the enthusiast community, test hardware combinations
    that aren't officially sanctioned. So you may get some other ideas,
    for more cost effective solutions than the above, $400 motherboard.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 28, 2010

  3. Do you really need a Xeon if you are only want one CPU chip? In that
    configuration the only real advantage is ECC memory, but that isn't really
    necessary for a workstation although it's nice to have. The next
    generation iCore7, the 32nm 2600, is going to be released on January 9th.
    The iCore7 support 24G of DRAM using 4G DIMMs (which are finally cost
    effective). The 2600 will be 3.8GHz in it's turbo boost mode, I'm pretty
    sure it will overclock to 5GHz if you use a high performance cooler like a
    Thermalright (my 40nm 2.66GHz iCore 7 is running at 4GHz with a
    Thermalright Ultra 120 cooler). The cost of an iCore7 box will be a
    fraction of the cost of a Xeon box and it will outperform it by a lot in
    any CPU intensive application.

    General Schvantzkoph, Dec 28, 2010
  4. The Derfer

    Danno Guest

    On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:11:17 -0800 (PST)

    I've been running a couple of Gigabyte "Ultra-Durable" boards for about a
    year now, 24/7 - they've been rock-steady for me, zero hassle. One is an
    Intel E4300 file server, the other (this) a CoreI7 workstation. If I need
    another board in the near future, I'll go with the UD stuff again.

    Danno, Jan 3, 2011
  5. The Derfer

    The Derfer Guest

    But the 2600 appears to be only marginally better than the W3680
    according
    to the Passmark specs.
    See them at:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

    The Derfer, Jan 24, 2011
  6. The 2600K is 29% of the price of the W3680.

    General Schvantzkoph, Jan 24, 2011