  1. Skybuck Flying

    Joe keane Guest

    HP-71B

    Joe keane, Jun 22, 2012

  2. Skybuck Flying

    John Larkin Guest

    Book.

    John Larkin, Jun 22, 2012

  3. Sorry, bottom quoting.

    I'll make my usual complaints about Skybuck's posts, appropriate
    newsgroups, etc. - although I am not so down on Skybuck as many are.

    Plus, here Skybuck is on one of my favorite topics: glasses based (or
    contact lens based) computers.

    Working in a hole/cubicle at Intel I missed getting involved with the
    phase change between desktop and laptop PCs and handheld/PDA/cell
    phone/tablet form factors. (Not for lack of trying to persuade Intel to
    go there, but I guess I am insufficiently persuasive.) My guess is that
    ubiquitous flatscreen displays are the next thing - displays on your
    fridge, on the wall in a cubicle where Intel folk currently have a
    whiteboard, etc. - but the next really big thing will be wearable,
    glasses and/or contact lens. I hope that by working at MIPS I will be
    better placed to participate in these next two steps - as well as some
    involvement in handheld and tablet.

    I.e. I think this is important. It's not clear how this affects computer
    architecture, except (a) low power, (b) communication to offload
    computation to the cloud from low power / possibly low perf devices, (c)
    every time there is a phase change like this legacy matters less, and it
    creates opportunities for new companies. Which in turn means that
    truisms like "microarchitectures to increase the performance of legacy
    x86 binaries" may be less valuable. I.e. it is an opportunity for new
    ideas, or, more usually, old ideas that just didn't make it in the last
    generations, to break through.

    Lacking specific comp.arch topics here, some general discussion:
    Starting with Skybuck:
    The sort of thing in the Google glasses video is a search for the next
    killer app. I have been following glasses displays for more than 20
    years now - the prices have come down, but the resolutions have not
    climbed. There needs to be something attractive pulling them into the
    consumer market place.

    E.g. handhelds, smart & cell phones: they were around for years. But
    Apple found a killer app, or, possibly, a killer app store, first with
    the iPod and iTunes, and then with... what is it that made the iPhone
    such a breakaway success? My guess: it was a good enough, better than
    average, smart phone for the time. With iTunes. And the rest followed.

    Similarly, for the tablet form factor: e-books had been around for a
    while, but the Kindle broke through the barriers to acceptance. My
    guess is that whispernet made the difference. And then, once the form
    factor was established, Apple broke through with the iPad. What made the
    difference? Multitouch?

    Everyone knows that these are general purpose computing devices. But
    "general purpose" doesn't make that initial breakthrough. It may enable
    the breakthrough, because the killer app may come from some small
    software developer. But general purpose has a cost, in support, etc.
    Sometimes special purpose wins - the initial Apple iPod, iPhone, ansd
    Amazon Kindle examples seem to show this. In these areas special
    purpose won initially, although now these form factors seem to be
    morphing to more general purpose platforms.

    Virtual versus augmented reality?

    It's a toss up.

    Virtual reality is easier to build. But it needs higher resolution to be
    engaging. And it's not clear how big the market is - games, sure. But it
    may need to have a generation grow up with it, just as a generation grew
    up with PC and console games.

    Augmented reality can deliver value with lower resolution. But nobody
    has found a mass market augmented reality killer app. I keep thinking
    that the glasses equivalent of Siri, what Google Goggles was all about,
    may be enough.

    VR requires higher res. AR can go with lower res, for certain apps -
    like flashing a text reminder of somebody's name when you meet them in
    an airport. But AR requires better registration - better motion and
    orientation detection.

    AR needs new software. VR software is already here, to some limited extent.

    GLEW PREDICTION: I think AR will go first. But, if there is no AR
    killer app, VR will take off when glasses hit circa 1 megapixel per eye
    resolution. Both, eventually.
    Flexible: yes, want.

    Makes AR more difficult - registration.

    Yes.

    I think the era of ubiquitous wall mounted flat panels may happen first.

    But smart glasses might overtake: because smart glasses can do just
    plain more than smart panels.

    Smart panels only because the technology is here now. And, if I myself
    am a leading indicator or early adopter, I switched from tablets to many
    displays a few years ago. Whereas I have not yet found a glasses setup
    that I want to use regularly. (But then again, I am often a too early
    adopter - I was into tablets circa 1994, way too early.)

    --
    The content of this message is my personal opinion only. Although I am
    an employee (currently of MIPS Technologies; in the past of companies

    Andy (Super) Glew, Jun 23, 2012
  4. I share your interest in smart glasses. Earlier post.

    I've not yet been bed-bound (knock on wood), but I have done stuff like
    read books, browse web pages, even write emails, my comp-arch.net wiki.
    blog, and, occasionally, write code in bed.

    Past and present used my Windows Tablet PC. (I've been using these for
    15 years or so.) In the past, pen and/or buttons for interaction. My
    latest, a Lenovo Thinkpad X220, does touch gestures as well.

    For actual typing: the best luck I have had was with voice recognition.
    Dragon best for some things, although Windows 7's built in speech
    recognition is good enough for many purposes.

    Interaction: speech, just mentioned. I also have the TWiddler single
    handed chording keyboard, with navstick "mouse" pointing device.
    http://handykey.com. I mainly got this for an early wearable setup. I
    have used it in bed, but the cables get in the way. I am a bit surprised
    that there is not yet a bluetooth wireless twiddler. Anyway: the cables
    get in the way, but less than a wireless keyboard and mouse do. I have
    used a freespace gyromouse. Again, I am surprised that there isn't a
    twiddler/gyromouse combination.

    Or perhaps not surprised. I don't think that such kluges will take over
    the mass market. Just mentioning what I have used.

    Going forward, I think that kinect like motion sensing, and/or video in
    a tablet or smart phone, mikght be the]

    The erstwhile Portland Programmers Studio had a haptic glove keyboard as
    one its goals, but that never really appealed to me.

    Andy (Super) Glew, Jun 23, 2012
  5. Skybuck Flying

    nmm1 Guest

    Glasses-based ones are hear (groan!) today. I don't wear them, but
    you assuredly can get glasses-based hearing aids. And those are no
    mean machines: I point out in my courses that each of the hearing
    aids I have is 6-way parallel at 10 MIPS. And they run for AGES on
    tiny zinc-air battery.

    Anyway,you know that, but anyone who doesn't should be aware that
    you can do a hell of a lot of processing in that footprint, today.
    I fully agree that there is a lot of untapped potential.

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren.

    nmm1, Jun 23, 2012
  6. Skybuck Flying

    ET Guest

    Ik heb een speciale "stand" om de laptop in bed te gebruiken.

    Google op: laptop stand for bed"

    en je vindt diverse modellen.

    Oppassen dat het apparaat niet onder de dekens komt, dat kan brand
    veroorzaken.

    ETET

    ET, Jul 20, 2012
  7. Skybuck Flying

    Max Guest

    Ik begluur 'm in stand 69.....

    Mex

    Max, Jul 21, 2012
  8. Skybuck Flying

    deepspace9

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    In your case, it would be tough, but doable to mount the monitor sideways OR, find a moitor that rotates 90 degrees. The keyboard can also be mounted sideways. To make a custom mounting surface. Who would be funding this special table to secure your laptop to for your special need in this case? If the funds are comming from your familly or from some outside source, I can design a special mount that is hight adjustable and rolls on casters with the legs that moves under the bed, while the mounting platform can stay at the edge of the bed, or move over the bed.

    Email me with more info such as your location, source of funds, who would be paying for it. I will show a mockup of what it would look like.

    deepspace9, Sep 3, 2012