  1. What's the best option to use when hooking up a gaming rig toa flatscreen
    if both are available? DVI-D or HDMI?
    What's the difference and what is gained by the better option?

    Thomas Andersson, Jul 17, 2010

  2. The image quality of DVI-D and HDMI will be identical assuming the same
    standard of cable is being compared, as the video signal/bitstream is the
    same.

    HDMI 1.3 and 1.2 differs from DVI-D in that it may also contain up to eight
    channels of digtal audio (HDMI 1.0 and 1.1 carry video only).

    When you say flatscreen are you talking about a computer monitor or a TV?
    Some computer monitors don't have speakers so HDMI is not relevant.

    If it's a TV, and you want the audio stream played through the TV, and you
    don't want the inconvenience of hooking up separate component audio cables,
    then HDMI would be the choice. This is assuming your graphics card is able
    to pass a digital audio stream to its HDMI port.

    Homer Jay Simpson, Jul 18, 2010

  3. Thanks, that's what I wondered, guess I'll stick with DVI. Was just curious
    if it would make any difference whatsoever.
    Talking computer monitor without speakers so HDMI would make no difference
    at all (and my TV is old and doesn't have HDMI).

    Thomas Andersson, Jul 18, 2010