    What is the best format that would play on virtually all dvd players
    and PC's...
    does .mov play on all dvd players?

    vix, Mar 12, 2007

  2. The only one that works on all DVD players is a DVD. That's a specialy
    encoded MPEG2 stream.

    The bit rate, frame rate, resolution and audio form are very restricted.

    Luckily there is a page in the mencoder documentation on how to encode
    a file so that it can be used in a DVD. Mplayer (which includes mencoder)
    and dvdauthor, both originaly Linux programs are available for OSX.

    Note that there are different encoding requirement for PAL or NTSC
    DVDs. This has nothing to do with zones, and ALL DVD players will play
    them.

    The file names on DVDs must be uppercase. I have found that Windows Media
    Player is stricter about naming and format than some real DVD players.

    If you want to make a file that plays on newer DVD players and with some
    media players, then use mencoder to create one using MPEG4 video encoding,
    setting the codec id to match DiVX. Use AC3 or MP3 audio encoding,

    This will NOT work with iPods. They require AAC (MP4) audio encoding and
    mencoder does not do it. You will need to use VLC (which can also be run
    from a command line). The iPod is also very fussy about the bit rates,
    frame rates, resolution etc.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Mar 12, 2007

  3. vix

    vix Guest

    I found a way to convert it to mpeg4, would this be ok to play on most
    dvd players?

    vix, Mar 12, 2007
  4. Most of the modern DVD players also play "DiVX" which is sort of MPEG4.
    The trick is if you use an MPEG4 codec to encode the data to change the
    signature to that of DiVX.

    For example Mencoder does it with a command line parameter which is
    well documented. It uses an open source MPEG4 encoder which can be read
    by a DiVX player if you specify it properly.

    Make sure your target player says "DiVX" on it. What they really mean
    is a DiVX encoded video stream in an AVI file.

    If your intended audience is NOT worldwide, then try to use a frame rate
    that is compatible with local TV sets: 24/1001 or 30/1001 for NTSC
    or 24 or 25 for PAL.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Mar 12, 2007
  5. ..mov doesn't play on any DVD players, so far as I know.

    The best format is automatically set when you burn a DVD from a program
    like iDVD. In fact, it is the only format for playing DVDs on DVD
    players.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 12, 2007
  6. Since when?

    Whatever, the OP asked -
    The correct answer is NOT DiVX.

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 13, 2007
  7. About two years ago.

    Current production portables come with USB ports to connect hard drives
    or memory sticks with DiVX AVI files on them.

    I did say in my original response that a DVD was the only thing you could
    be sure of playing in a DVD player. It depends upon your target audience.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Mar 13, 2007
  8. So, like the OP, we're talkin' about your typical home stand-alone DVD
    player here? I'm missing something.

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 13, 2007
  9. Yes, standard home DVD players, the kind that you connect to your stereo
    system and TV, which cost about $75 (we have high taxes here) play DVD
    ROM and DVD R/W disks with DiVX encoded AVI files.

    Here's an example:

    http://www.officedepot.co.il/(dyqocenznik13z2jmhkzrv55)/catalogSku.aspx?PR=QJ5&I
    D=681858

    I know the text is in Hebrew but DIVX, DVD, etc are the same. 303 NIS
    (the price without Value Added (sales) Tax) is about $70.

    And if you want a familar brand, here's a Panasonc one for a little over
    $100.

    http://www.officedepot.co.il/(dyqocenznik13z2jmhkzrv55)/catalogSku.aspx?PR=QJ5&I
    D=3858818

    Note that both of them are progressive scan, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio,
    play DiVX files, NTSC and PAL DVDs and are "zone free".

    They have been common for about two years now.

    Here's a portable with a USB port and DiVX playback:

    http://www.officedepot.co.il/(dyqocenznik13z2jmhkzrv55)/catalogSku.aspx?PR=QJ5&I
    D=3815651

    I picked this model beacause I know it's available in the U.K.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Mar 13, 2007
  10. Thanks for the links. It seems that these players are not generally
    available in the U.S. Since the majority of the posters in this group
    (and the OP?) seem to be from North America you could see that writing
    "most of the modern DVD players also play DiVX" would be a tad
    confusing. And despite your links, I'm still not convinced that "most"
    (as you said) modern players have this ability. Perhaps "many".

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 13, 2007
  11. This surprises me. I always thought we were behind the U.S. in
    consumer technology.

    Next time you are at the mall, look at the players on sale. Report back. :)
    It may be that you did not notice it. I expect if you were not looking
    for it, it would not be noticable.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Mar 13, 2007
  12. Elephants are the slowest moving creatures. :)
    I will, thanks.

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 13, 2007
  13. vix

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    I gather that there should also be no spaces in the name. An underscore
    is often used instead of a space.

    Daniel Cohen, Mar 13, 2007
  14. I expect that most of them are also zone 1 units. Outside of the U.S. no
    one would buy a single zone unit unless it was easily modifyable.

    By 2000 the ones sold here were either modified to be zoneless by
    the importer or included instructions on how to modify them.

    One brand used 31415 (PI) as the magic number.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Mar 13, 2007
  15. vix

    Eric Lindsay Guest

    I was under the impression that USB ports were not all that common on
    DVD players. Seemed to me more the sort of thing that was on some of the
    fancier Audio Receiver/Amplifiers.

    The local video stores use Philips for their rental DVD players (this is
    a resort area, so people sometimes hire a player during their visit). I
    just got a Philips DVP3200V/75, the cheapest DVD/VCR player on the
    Harvey Norman (like BestBuy?) shop floor. I wanted the VCR bit mostly
    for the analog tuner output (I don't have a TV).

    Handles PAL 625 line as multistandard, and NTSC (525 line) as PAL/NTSC
    (which most TVs here can handle).

    Playable discs are DVD Video, DVD+R, DVD+RW, Video CD, Audio CD, CR-R,
    CD-RW, MP3 or Windows Media Audio or JPEG files (on CD), DivX files
    (says DivX 3 to 6, and DivX VOD).

    Unplayable discs are CD-ROM, Video Single Disc (VSD), Compact Disc
    interactive (CD-i), DVD-ROM, DVD containing MP3 Windows Media Audio or
    JPEG files, DVD-RAM, DVD-Audio, SACD (plays CD layer only), DVD-R or
    RVD-RW recorded in VR format or non-compatible recording mode.

    Eric Lindsay, Mar 14, 2007
  16. The important point got cut out, I said that PORTABLE DVD players
    included them. I have yet to see them on home DVD players,
    including the ones that play DiVX files.

    Interesting. The cheap (made in China and Eastern Europe) players sold
    here have two lasers, one for DVDs and one for CDs. I have not seen
    a player that did not play "burned" CDs since 2000, when DVD players
    were first new here.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Mar 14, 2007
  17. I've seen USB ports on at least two different home DVD players. As with
    DivX it seems to be appearing on the cheapest players first.

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 15, 2007
  18. It looks like the U.S. is the last place to get them.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Mar 15, 2007