    SpicaTC50 Guest

    I'm putting together a base system tomorrow and could use some advice.
    Thanks.

    SpicaTC50, Jun 26, 2004

  2. mobile 2500 and asus a7n8x-e deluxe would suffice

    Robert Jackson Marley, Jun 26, 2004

  3. SpicaTC50

    SpicaTC50 Guest

    Thanks. Any rec on memory without breaking the bank?

    SpicaTC50, Jun 26, 2004
  4. SpicaTC50

    rms Guest

    Oh come on. Newegg.com has a Athlon64 2800+ & Mobo & FarCry for $223.
    It's time to stop recommending socketA.

    rms

    rms, Jun 26, 2004
  5. SpicaTC50

    Jake Smith Guest

    How about that 64bit OS and Applications, all games run slower on
    64bit cpu all of them :(

    Jake Smith, Jun 27, 2004
  6. SpicaTC50

    rms Guest

    How about that 64bit OS and Applications, all games run slower on
    So what? the guy is considering the AthlonXP, which the Athlon64 beats
    handily in 32bit. 64bit Windows is a non-issue at the present (and beta)
    time. *But it's there* for the using once a real 64bit Windows is
    available.

    rms

    rms, Jun 27, 2004
  7. SpicaTC50

    rstlne Guest

    the A64's are more expensive
    Will a pr chip at 2800+ beat out a chip that can go straight to 3200+ with
    no known issues.
    Microsoft might make XP-64 a OEM product ONLY and try to keep end users from
    buying it (this could be an issue to many people). If you think it's BS
    then tell me where I can buy the XP Media Center Os.

    What was suggested would cost the op 100$, and that'll let them get an extra
    100$ in ram, or more towards a nice video card (in other words, the system
    might just be faster than what they could buy in the a64 range)..

    I am not saying we should stick with socket A but I do think it's good kit
    for most people out there.

    rstlne, Jun 27, 2004
  8. SpicaTC50

    Jake Smith Guest

    Well ill stick with SocketA for a while, and upgrade to the newer
    mobile cpus :), well thats if AMD release them, 2800,3000,3200 ?

    Ill go 64bit when a OS is their and APPS and games take advantage of
    it, just like the 16 to 32 bit conversion.

    Oh well the times are a changing.

    Jake Smith, Jun 27, 2004
  9. SpicaTC50

    rms Guest

    Will a pr chip at 2800+ beat out a chip that can go straight to 3200+ with
    You are forgetting that PR ratings are not the same for Athlon64 vs XP.
    An Athlon64 2800+ is probably about equal to a XP3200+ in 32bit. And you
    can overclock Athlon64 just as easily as the XP on any of the newer boards.
    Why would they do this?

    rms

    rms, Jun 27, 2004
  10. SpicaTC50

    Jake Smith Guest

    Does that mean it will only install on a dell and like with specific
    hardware ?

    And if i tried to install it it would not ?

    That would suck, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, their would be iso's on p2p in
    no time cracked and everyone would have 64bit Microsoft OS :)

    So even if they do a OEM wont matter.

    But why they would is funny to me, don't they want to make more money
    ?, i have read this in a few places.

    See ya.

    Jake Smith, Jun 27, 2004
  11. SpicaTC50

    SpicaTC50 Guest

    "With AMD releasing their Athlon 64 bit desktop processors, one of the
    issues in upgrading or buying a new computer is "will I need a 64 bit
    processor." For most people the answer is not until the later part of this
    decade. To get the most out of a 64 bit processor you need 64 bit applications
    running on top of a 64 bit operating system. Of course if you have a Mac G5
    system running Panther (Mac OS 10.3) and some of the recent versions of the
    high level Apple content creation applications you are already there, but for
    the PC world only 64 bit applications programs now are very high level
    server based or scientific applications.

    There is 64 bit Linux, but the Windows XP version is still in beta and won’t be
    out until spring 2004. There will be 64 bit versions of some games in 2004,
    but do not look until 2005 for a significant amount of 64 bit software for
    Windows XP. Because there will be a lot of 32 bit computers around for a
    while there should be plenty of 32 bit software. The 64 bit Athlons and what
    rumors say Intel is developing as a 64 bit desktop processor will be able to
    run 32 bit applications well, which should also keep the 32 bit software
    market healthy for quite a while. So unless you are a high level gamer, run
    high-level scientific or content creation applications, or run Macs you should
    wait on getting a 64 bit processor computer.

    Making the decision on whether to upgrade your current computer or buy a
    new computer has become more complex than it was a few years ago. A
    systematic step-by-step approach is appropriate. First determine your needs,
    then what will support filling those needs, and then weigh the costs of
    upgrading or buying new. May the wisdom of the Great Elizabethan Bard be
    upon you, resulting in a fruitful bounty of computer buying.

    Timothy Everingham is CEO of Timothy Everingham Consulting in Azusa,
    California. He is Vice Chair of the Los Angeles Chapter of ACM SIGGRAPH and
    is also on the Management Information Systems Program Advisory Board of
    California State University, Fullerton. In addition he is the Vice President of
    the Windows Media Users’ Group of Los Angeles. He is also part-time press
    in the areas of high technology, computers, video, audio, and
    entertainment/media and has had articles published throughout the United
    States and Canada plus Australia, England, & Japan. He is a member of
    TUGNET. Further information can be found at
    http://home.earthlink.net/~teveringham"

    I'm not a "beta" kind of guy. Besides, I have 2 socket A's now which would
    give me options. I will let you know what I buy today at a local comp show.
    Thanks for the replies and the heated discussion.

    SpicaTC50, Jun 27, 2004
  12. Hmmm... if you are still running windows... yup. It's slower. However, in
    linux land... things are much faster. Even when running 32bit apps on a
    32bit version of linux ... something like 20% faster.

    Jerry McBride, Jun 27, 2004
  13. SpicaTC50

    OZoNE Guest

    I agree...Abit NF7 Mobo...OCZ ram PC3200....Mobile barton 2500+
    Run at 11x200 or higher multiplier for 3200+ or better speeds.
    Hell I still have a Ti4200 GF4 Card and its doin all I need it to at a
    decent frame rate.
    OZoNE
    Asus A7N8X/OCZ PC3200/Mobile 2500+ @ 2400Mhz.

    OZoNE, Jun 28, 2004
  14. "> the A64's are more expensive
    Not much more expensive & the A64 runs great, much cooler then a XP chip...
    I tried the XP-64 windows, work great & it is much faster, but better
    drivers are needed.
    much like XP when it started beta, drivers were the main problem...

    Gary Colligan, Jun 29, 2004
  15. Bit hard getting a Dell with a AMD Athlon 64 CPU
    as they don't sell AMD system ;)

    Gary Colligan, Jun 29, 2004
  16. SpicaTC50

    Travis King Guest

    Isn't Linux a nightmare to set up?

    Travis King, Jun 30, 2004
  17. However, this doesn't really apply to the A64 case (yet). There's a lot more
    to the A64's than just AMD64, and until Sempron comes out (and maybe not
    even then, depending what Sempron has for a core) there's no way to get an
    A64 without AMD64. Yes, most people probably don't need a 64-bit CPU, but
    given that is comes along free with the other architectual benefits of an
    A64 it doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy an A64. AMD64 is sorta a mild
    plus, instead of a requirement. Ie: you shouldn't "wait on getting a 64-bit
    processor", but nor should you not buy a P4 or XP because it's not 64-bit.

    [...]

    Michael Brown, Jun 30, 2004
  18. SpicaTC50

    Dave Guest

    No, it depends on the installer (OS, not the person) and/or the users
    experience.

    I've used a few different types:-

    Red Hat, Yellow Dog and Mandrake installed very easily because of their
    installers.

    OpenBSD and another, BSD derivative I think, were much more difficult
    because quite a lot of it had to be installed manually.

    The configuration of the base machine does have an impact on the
    installation, the less memory it has the more you have to do manually.
    Another consideration that has an effect is the use that installation will
    be put to. The various Linux versions I used were for something to replace
    Windoze so I wanted a GUI and various office apps, etc.

    There are lots of variations of Linux out there so you really have to do
    your homework before you make a choice, eg whether you want a full blown on
    or a cut down one to run an internet firewall/ICS sharer.

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 30, 2004
  19. Uhhh... like windows is easy?

    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
    Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
    8:25pm up 71 days, 23:07, 7 users, load average: 0.10, 0.14, 0.10

    Jerry McBride, Jul 1, 2004