    version for Callof Duty2, Road to Hill 30, Fear and others. Is this card
    going to match the performance of my previous system--P4C800 dlx with 3.2E
    prescott. Thanks. AJ

    ajb, Sep 18, 2006

  2. ajb

    Phil Guest

    I built a Core 2 Duo system last month, and went from a x800xl AGP to a
    x800xl PCI-E. I'll let the following benchmarks speak for themselves:

    P5P800 / P4 630 @ 3.6GHz / 1GB PC3200 / ATI x800xl AGP
    3DMark06: 1768
    3DMark05: 4924
    3DMark03: 10382
    3DMark2001 / SE: 20510
    PCMark05: 4211

    P5W DH Deluxe / E6600 @ 3GHz / 2GB PC6400 / ATI x800xl PCI-E
    3DMark06: 1933
    3DMark05: 5902
    3DMark03: 13053
    3DMark2001 / SE: 34876
    PCMark05: 7074

    While not a dramatic improvement, the x800xl pci-e was easily worth the $130
    CDN I paid for it. I'm waiting for the dx10 cards before going all out on
    the video upgrade.

    -phil

    Phil, Sep 19, 2006

  3. ajb

    Frodo Guest

    Fry's Electronics is selling ATI X800XLs 256MB PCI-E for $99.90.
    Now if you want an X800XL that's a good overclocker.
    Find an X800XL with the dual DVI outputs, a theater Rage chip and the extra
    power connection.
    I just bought a used (they claimed new) X800XL off EBay for $91.00 plus
    shipping.
    My X800XL came with the R480 chip (which is on the faster X800 series),
    normally the X800XLs come with the R430 chip.
    And the Samsung memory is rated for 600MHz.
    It turn out to be a great overclocker, stock it is 400MHz GPU and memory
    500MHz.
    Overclocking with stock cooling got me 500MHz GPU and 580MHz memory.
    Then I installed an ATI Silencer 5 Rev. 2 ($19.99 on sale)
    Now my GPU is 525MHz and the memory is 600MHz.

    There also should be a price drop on ATI cards in the next month or 2.

    Frodo, Sep 19, 2006
  4. ajb

    Bill Guest

    <snip>

    I love it when people actually do stuff like this and then post to the
    newsgroups what their results were. Thankyou.

    Bill

    Bill, Sep 19, 2006
  5. ajb

    Clas Mehus Guest

    3DMark01-05 will not be much dependent on the CPU, while 06 gives an
    edge with a better CPU. E.g. for 3DMark05 I guess you could have
    tested with a P4 3.0 og and a 3.6 and basicly got about the same
    result. Also, the X800XL ain't that good of a performer anymore, so it
    becomes a limit before the CPU here.

    Clas Mehus, Sep 19, 2006
  6. ajb

    Clas Mehus Guest

    The X800-series does not have suppoert for shader model 3.0 and not
    full support for Avivo. Thus, for todays games the
    performance/price-ratio compared to other ATI GPUs ain't bad, but one
    other thing to look at that might not be that much more expensive is a
    7600GT -- but that can also depend on what deal you find on a X800.
    With e.g. the release of the 7900GS, the 7600GT-boards should see a
    pricedrop.

    Clas Mehus, Sep 19, 2006