    T'bred ? What about a Sempron (no doubt easier to obtain) ? And the RAM ?
    Thanks in advance anyone's ideas and experiences.
    Leachim Sredna

    Leachim Sredna, Mar 1, 2007

  2. I've got a 2600 running on the same board here, with a pair of 512Mb matched memory
    sticks. Does everything I want it to do very well.

    Personally I'd stick with the Athlon rather than the Sempron, and make sure the
    memory you get are in identical pairs (same manufacturer etc) to take advantage of
    the dual channel. My manual doesn't mention Semprons, so I don't know whether they
    will work well or not.

    Andrew Sayers, Mar 4, 2007

  3. Leachim Sredna

    John Jordan Guest

    Are you talking about a different board? The 8K7A+ uses the AMD 761
    chipset, which isn't dual channel. The only 2600+ it'd take is the rare
    266MHz FSB variant. IIRC, the socket A Semprons are all 333MHz FSB, so
    these wouldn't work.

    John Jordan, Mar 4, 2007
  4. Leachim Sredna

    Dave Guest

    I think that 2400+ Athlon is about all that board will do. Even if it
    could handle a 2600+ I can't imagine you'd notice any difference.
    Open to correction on that.

    Try a gig of ram, depending your OS?

    We have an 8K7A+ machine--maybe the best we've had. Solid board.
    Dave H

    Dave, Mar 5, 2007

  5. <blush> Indeed I am. I didn't properly check, my board is the Epox 8RDA+. That'll
    teach me to check the manual properly and not rely on memory for board names. Ah
    well, sorry folks..

    Andrew Sayers, Mar 6, 2007