  1. I'm looking for the best video card for under $100. If there's a
    compromise between speed and quality, I'd lean more toward the speed.

    Thanks

    Kevin Davis³, Jun 10, 2004

  2. If you have to have a new, retail package, your best will be
    an ATI Radeon 9500 64MB, or maybe an Nvidia GeForce 4 TI4200. I myself
    went the Ebay used videocard route, and picked up an Nvidia GeForce 4
    Ti4400 128MB card for $70.00 shipped some months back. The only games
    I found so far that pushed it kinda hard are the newest of the new
    (FarCry, ect.) I never use AA, & AF settings (I never can tell image
    quality difference.. Just framerate hit), so this card still has a
    long life for me. By the time I upgrade to Radeon 9800XT, or GeForce
    5950, they'll be on Ebay for $70.00 as well.

    Larry Roberts, Jun 10, 2004

  3. New or used?

    New: You could get an ATi Radeon 9600 for that, or a Pro version, if
    you were willing to spend a few $$ more. Or a nVidia GeForce Ti4200.
    Both cards offer about the same speeds, with the 4200 being faster in
    some older games (Qukae 3, RtCW, etc) and the 9600 supporting DX9 and
    better support for some of the newer games. (and, arguably, better image
    quality)

    Used: You might be able to get a 9600 XT or a Ti4400/4600 for about
    that price.

    That's about your only options for that price range. Ignore the Radeon
    9000/9100/9200 cards, as well as the GeForce 5200. If you were willing
    to spend $150+, I think you'd have more options. I just bought a used
    Radeon 9600 XT for $105, and it's pretty nice.

    cK-Gunslinger, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Kevin Davis³

    Augustus Guest

    Used: You might be able to get a 9600 XT or a Ti4400/4600 for about

    A 9600XT used for $100??? Show me what reality that happens in. A Radeon
    9100 is the same speed/power level as a Ti4200. The 9000/9200's have
    crippled GPU's with only 1 texture per pass. They're slower. A 9100 does 2
    per pass, with a 250GPU core and 500Mhz DDR rate. It's a decent choice, as
    is the full bore 8500 128Mb which compare directly to a Ti4600.

    Augustus, Jun 10, 2004
  5. Kevin Davis³

    Clay Bullard Guest

    How about the GForce fx 5200? I just bought it at Staples for $99 on sale.

    Clay Bullard, Jun 14, 2004