    I would think a tablet PC is the best way to surf the internet and read
    documents because you can hold it like a book while comfortably sitting in a
    lounge chair or laying in bed.

    TJM, Aug 17, 2003

  2. TJM

    perrer nerd Guest

    There aren't any that meet your requirements exactly -
    they will all run at least warm at some point, and the coolest
    ones have the smallest screens and <3 hour battery lives.
    Also, current TPC screens aren't fully comparable to book
    ergonomics as most of them lose viewability at angles.

    If you're adamant on getting a TPC now, I'd make sure you
    demo any model you plan to buy to make sure you're okay
    with its deficiencies.

    perrer nerd, Aug 17, 2003

  3. The NEC Versa Litepad is a possibility. It has a compact, lightweight
    design, and is reported to have fairly wide viewing angles. I would suggest
    the Fujitsu ST4121 if you want to do any reading in daylight or other bright
    light environments.
    You need to beware of compatibility problems with electronic books. There
    are a variety of incompatible ( and encrypted) formats and some books can be
    read on handhelds that use the HPC operating systems and not on the tablets
    or regular PCs even if the required book reader is available for both
    platforms. More than one user has been frustrated to find that their
    electronic book library is suddenly unreadable due to changes in hardware or
    software platforms.
    Robbie

    Robert Robinson, Aug 17, 2003
  4. TJM

    terri Guest

    I'd recommend a Motion Computing for screen size, an NEC for weight, and the
    Fujitsu ST4121 for indoor/outdoor viewing.

    I use the Motion I have all the time for reading, both sitting on the couch
    or lying in bed. also get excellent battery life with it.

    terri, Aug 17, 2003
  5. TJM

    TJM Guest

    Thanks for the tips. I like your bookstand idea, too. I am looking for
    something that can hold the tablet PC like a bookstand but its mounted to a
    long flexible arm so I can position it right above my lap or chest when I am
    reading in bed or a chair. That way, I wouldnt actually have to hold the
    tablet in my hands and feel the heat and get fatigued. I could also wrap an
    AC power cord on the arm so I wont have to worry about battery life.

    I dont know how the tablet PC will revolutionize our daily life, but I think
    it will definitely find many niches for its versatility and portability.
    Once the prices come down to the $500 range, I think many people will be
    reading their daily local newspaper and favorite magazines on it - which
    would also save a lot on wasted paper. I can see high school & college
    students praising the day when they can walk across campus with only a
    lightweight tablet PC in their bookbag instead of 20 pounds of heavy
    textbooks since all their texts will be in electronic form. I'm sure there
    are hundreds of other uses I havent even thought of. Maybe Bill Gates is
    right....the tablet PC is the next paradigm shift in tech.....

    TJM, Aug 18, 2003
  6. TJM

    TJM Guest

    Thanks for your ideas.

    Do any tablets have software keyboards - like a keyboard that pops up in the
    application you are using, similar what PDAs do? I would think this would
    be a cool idea for the occasional typing input when web surfing, not to
    mention eliminate the need to lug around a separate keyboard along with the
    tablet. I know they make convertible tablets/laptops, but that is an
    expensive way to get a keyboard on the tablet.

    TJM, Aug 18, 2003
  7. Heck, if you got one that had an actual docking cradle then you could
    mount the cradle on the end of the arm and have easy, instant hot docking
    as well. I can tell you one place I would be mounting one of those things
    (if money was no object) but no one want's that visual. I'll leave it for
    you to figure out. ;^)

    Grant Robertson, Aug 18, 2003
  8. Since you want a large screen my suggestion would be the Motion M1300, with
    the stand. But if a 10.4 inch screen is large enough for your needs you
    might want to consider the Fujitsu st4121 with the indoor outdoor display is
    worth considering.

    Linda A. Epstein
    Microsoft MVP ~ Windows XP/Tablet PC
    Editor: www.TabletPc2.com

    Linda A. Epstein ~ MS MVP, Aug 18, 2003
  9. TJM

    TJM Guest

    Since you want a large screen my suggestion would be the Motion M1300,
    with
    Is the Fujitsu st4121 the brightest tablet on the market right now?

    TJM

    TJM, Aug 20, 2003
  10. The ST4121 uses transflective TFT technology as do the Panasonic Toughbook
    C18 and several other industrial Tablets. The display is bright is bright
    light, but isn't as brilliant as a transmissive screen in typical room level
    lighting. The technology is, however, the only current choice for
    "indoor-outdoor" usage if one wants a display that is easily readable in
    both environments.
    A short discussion of TFT LCD technology can be found at:
    http://sharp-world.com/products/device/lcd/hrtft.html
    Robbie

    Robert Robinson, Aug 20, 2003
  11. Actually what we need is a standardized docking port so we can just take
    our own Tablet with us and dock it where ever we like.

    Of course that will give a whole new meaning to the phrase, "I caught a
    virus in the bathroom." Let's not even talk about Worms and Trojans.

    Grant Robertson, Aug 20, 2003
  12. TJM

    TJM Guest

    Actually what we need is a standardized docking port so we can just take
    I doubt that will ever happen since it never happened with laptops.
    However, I could see a company deploying the same brand of tablet PC for
    their employees, and they could install the same docking stations all over
    the building. But I agree with you...a standard docking port that fits any
    brand of tablet PC would really boost the popularity of tablets.

    TJM, Aug 20, 2003
  13. TJM

    Pete Wright Guest

    Just an FYI - but another solution to the heat problem is to choose a
    different power scheme when running off the batteries. I find that Long life
    and extra Long life schemes both reduce the heat output of the device,
    although with extra long life I also loose my wireless network connectivity.

    --
    Peter Wright
    Author of ADO.NET Novice To Pro, from Apress Inc.

    _____________________________

    Pete Wright, Aug 20, 2003
  14. TJM

    Jon Guest

    I'm leaning back in my recliner surfing on a Motion 1200
    tablet. I use Quicken on it and pay the bills flopped
    out, write emails using hand writing recognition, read
    novels on it, read the New York Times, everything running
    over a 3 unit home wireless network and a DSL line. Love
    this setup!

    Jon, Aug 24, 2003