    gram compound is better than this $1 a lb?:)

    I don't think I'll report on this again unless there's some kind of
    problem, which I don't expect.

    Wes Newell, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    Not much change after 2.5 months. Even though I've added a raid controller
    card with 2 more drives and an HDTV tuner card. I also replaced the rather
    old GF3 video card. Here's the temps now.

    CPU Temp: +31°C
    M/B Temp: +27°C

    Wes Newell, Nov 13, 2005

  3. Wes Newell

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Yeah, lets put a flammable, electrically conductive petro-solvent on our
    computers.
    You are not even a good troll.

    I'd like to tell you where to put your axle grease, but to maintain the
    decorum of the group, I won't.

    If you are trolling, this one is a lame attempt.

    If you did indeed put axle grease on your CPU, then you are truly stupid.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Wes Newell

    Cal Vanize Guest

    Interesting comments.

    The flamability is relatively low, less than the motherboard itself.

    Arctic silver is electrically conductive and doesn't seem to present
    problems.

    I'm not sure if any of the components it would contact would necessarily
    be chemically changed or softened.

    So where do you want to go with this? Do you have some evidence of
    damage from this material that we can use to determine whether or not
    its OK to use?

    Cal Vanize, Nov 13, 2005
  5. Wes Newell

    Ed Light Guest

    It might seem like that, but Wes is actually an old head here.

    It does seem horrific though -- grease -- yikes.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Fight Spam:
    http://bluesecurity.com

    Ed Light, Nov 14, 2005
  6. Wes Newell

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Most grease contains detergents and solvents to prevent the grease from
    coagulating due to heat and aging. In addition, it will damage any
    motherboard it comes into contact with. The flammability of grease is most
    definitely higher than the motherboard, and its flashpoint is lower.
    You must understand that axle grease is meant to lubricate axles, and is not
    intended to be used as
    HSF compound.

    All else considered, you must assume that many who may read your post may
    not have the experience level to know that what you did was just plain
    wrong.

    I hope you don't work on any computers but your own.

    I would fire anyone I discovered was using axle grease for any purpose on
    any computer.

    Using axle grease on your own computer, as lame and stupid as that is, is
    your perogative. Posting it here in a manner that may cause others to try
    it is irresponsible.

    You may be proud of the silly axle grease trick, but it is not recommended
    under any circumstances.

    Imagine this scenario...someone decides to build their first computer. They
    read your lame post...run to the garage and find some automotive grease,
    slap it on, and their processor/motherboard goes up in smoke. Who is to
    blame? You are as guilty as they are for posting the lame post you made.

    For anyone else bothering to read this thread:

    DO NOT USE AXLE GREASE ON ANY PART OR COMPONENT OF YOUR COMPUTER.

    I thought maybe you were a troll, or that you were merely stupid. It
    appears I was right on both counts.

    Good luck with the computer....

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Nov 14, 2005
  7. Wes Newell

    Ed Light Guest

    DO NOT USE AXLE GREASE ON ANY PART OR COMPONENT OF YOUR COMPUTER.
    Well, no need to denigrate a person. You're getting desperate there.

    You should understand that some people are religious in their rejection of
    such products as the Arctic Silver line and delight in showing that even
    such and such -- toothpaste, and now axle grease -- is just as good. But I
    don't think they try out the Arctic long enough for it to bake into its
    better-performing final form. Or maybe they disdain spending any $ on it.

    I use Arctic Ceramique myself, because I've read reports where after some
    bake-in it did give couple of extra degrees C cooling, and it's great to
    apply (just a dot or stripe, then twist the mounted hsf a little) and comes
    off easily.

    We did use it on a friend's machine recently and it's running cooler than
    when we put it on.

    It's cheap too, in the little tube that does lots of cpu's.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Fight Spam:
    http://bluesecurity.com

    Ed Light, Nov 14, 2005
  8. Wes Newell

    Cal Vanize Guest

    Hey, not my post. Just asking the questions.

    I build and maintain a lot of computers including my own. Haven't had
    any problems. All are stable and most have been running 24x7 for > 2 years.

    Gee, Bobby. Don't hold back. Tell us all what you really think.
    Shouldn't your post be directed to the original poster?

    BTW, I've got an old motherboard and an Athlon XP2000. That kinda runs
    a little warm, typically around 53C. I'll smear grease on the
    motherboard and chip and them drop an undersized heatsink on it. If you
    don't hear back, its because it exploded and took out the whole
    neighborhood.

    Cal Vanize, Nov 14, 2005
  9. Wes Newell

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    My apologies, and yes my comments were meant for the OP.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Nov 14, 2005
  10. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    I don't know where you came from, but you should go back there and learn a
    few things before coming into a newsgroup spouting shit you know
    absolutely nothing about. I've seen more incorrect post from you in the
    last couple of months than I've seen in here in the last couple of years.
    I would plonk your stupid butt but I have to keep correcting your post so
    you don't mislead others. Go ahead, tell me what you think. Considering
    the source, it won't bother me a bit.

    Wes Newell, Nov 14, 2005
  11. Wes Newell

    Bob Smith Guest

    What about on the fan bearing (axle)?

    Bob

    Bob Smith, Nov 14, 2005
  12. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    Way too thick. Personally, I use Dot 3 brake fluid, and it's probably 20
    years old. Other good choices are sewing machine. fishing reel oils.
    basically any light weight oil that won't goo up with age. 3 in 1 is too
    thick IMO. I've had fans that have stopped working and added brake fluid
    to running for years now. Like the wheel bearing grease, brake fluid is
    designed for extreme temp and conditions. I'm using the wheel bearing
    grease because I got tired of all the BS and hype going on about thermal
    compunds and I know that it's designed for high temps like the brake
    fluid. It's also has very good thermal disipation qualities because
    without it, your bearings would freeze up (melt) very quick while driving,
    your wheel would catch on fire in you'd be in a world of shit.:)

    Wes Newell, Nov 15, 2005
  13. Wes Newell

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Lithium grease is much better for fan bearings.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Nov 15, 2005
  14. Wes Newell

    Cal Vanize Guest

    Isn't Lithium grease used for high-load very low speed applications like
    for lubrication of suspension components? Would that be appropriate for
    micro-load high-speed applications like a fan bearing? I recall that my
    old stereo turntable (VPI high end table) used a light oil on its
    spindle bearing. When I asked the manufacturer about Lithium grease, he
    said it was MUCH too heavy.

    So what advantage would a heavy Lithium grease on a light fan bearing
    provide?

    Cal Vanize, Nov 15, 2005
  15. Wes Newell

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    When lithium grease is applied sparingly, it spreads very thinly and evenly,
    does not tend to clump up like regular grease, and lubricates longer. It is
    used for any number of applications, and *how* it is applied is important.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Nov 15, 2005
  16. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    More than likely, it would soon give you the advantage of a fan that
    wouldn't spin up. That's assuminig you could actually get any of the
    grease down around the bearings without pumping the hole full of the crap.
    Use a light oil and you'll be much safer.

    Wes Newell, Nov 15, 2005
  17. Wes Newell

    Cal Vanize Guest

    Same thing applies to Valvoline 10w30. So what is the advantage of
    Lithium grease over light mineral oil?

    Cal Vanize, Nov 15, 2005