    on the "Open With" contextual menu in the Finder. What's the best
    utility to use to add applications to the "Open With" contextual menu?

    Thanks in advance to all for any info.

    Vik Rubenfeld, Mar 25, 2010

  2. Vik Rubenfeld

    Warren Oates Guest

    Good question. Most people want to _remove_ stuff from there. Look into
    lsregister:

    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/L
    aunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister

    {that's a long path, you might want to cp the binary into /usr/local/bin
    or somewhere)

    lsregister has a -seed option which might do what you want. There's not
    a lot of documentation.

    If you don't have very many apps, I think you can add them in the "Get
    Info" window.

    Warren Oates, Mar 25, 2010

  3. AFAIK, there isn't anything. Programs copied to the volume and run
    update a database with the types of files they support. You can force
    the issue by using Command-I and setting the application that will be
    used to open the file.

    What are you trying to accomplish here? Why do you need to do this?

    Michael Vilain, Mar 26, 2010
  4. I often need to open files that the Finder may not know are text files,
    e.g. a ".dat" file, with BBEdit. Also, I often need to open files that
    the Finder thinks of as text files, such as ".csv" files, with Excel. So
    I'd like to have BBEdit and Excel always available as Open With options
    in the Finder's contextual menu.

    Vik Rubenfeld, Mar 26, 2010
  5. There's lots of stuff on the web on how to remove extra contextual menu
    items:

    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030730161311391
    http://superuser.com/questions/28739/add-application-to-right-click-conte
    xt-menu-on-mac-os-x
    http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/52767-adding-contex
    t-menu.html

    But precious little on adding your own. When I added Vim, it came with
    a tool to allow you to open documents with it's own "Open with..."
    contextual menu item. I don't think there's an easy solution for you
    from that angle unless you write your own Contextual Item plugin.

    What I do is keep BBEdit on my Dock and just drag the file onto it.
    BBEdit will open any kind of file. I seldom deal with CSV files, so
    don't need to bother with Excel on my Dock.

    Michael Vilain, Mar 27, 2010
  6. Vik Rubenfeld

    dorayme Guest

    You don't actually need Excel, but you probably know that. CSV
    files can be very handy for web work because clients can send you
    spreadsheets (which they are always super familiar with) and
    these are easily converted to CSV which can be uploaded as is to
    the server. A bit of PHP already up there and the HTML table is
    easily and automatically formed without having to laboriously
    mark it all up by hand...

    Just saying...

    dorayme, Mar 27, 2010
  7. Vik Rubenfeld

    Warren Oates Guest

    Drag them onto the appropriate Dock icon, in the good ol' way.

    Warren Oates, Mar 27, 2010
  8. Vik Rubenfeld

    Wes Groleau Guest

    In addition to the other fine offers, there's always the "other"
    on the submenu

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Answer not a fool according to his folly,
    lest thou also be like unto him.
    Answer a fool according to his folly,
    lest he be wise according to his own conceit.
    -- Solomon
    Are you saying there's no good way to answer a fool?
    -- Groleau

    Wes Groleau, Mar 27, 2010