    Where is the "sweet spot" as far as most SSD drive
    space for the dollar?

    And what brand would you buy?

    me, Feb 20, 2009

  2. me

    Mike Marquis Guest

    Why no just get an SD card? I think most netbooks have a slot. If not that
    use a USB thumb drive.

    Mike

    Mike Marquis, Feb 20, 2009

  3. me

    me Guest

    Will an SD card let me run app's off it?

    me, Feb 20, 2009
  4. me

    someone Guest

    someone, Feb 20, 2009
  5. me

    BillW50 Guest

    In typed on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 05:46:43 -0500:
    Careful! That is a MLC SSD! They are *so* slow at writing. If you care
    about writing speed and performance, you want a SLC SSD.

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Feb 20, 2009
  6. me

    Mike Marquis Guest

    Ah! Yeah it might be problematic running apps off of it. But it is an
    cheap/easy test. Just install the app in the advanced mode. I think they
    still allow you the choice of where to put it, although some working files
    may insist on being somewhere on C:.

    Seems like XP needs less than 4 Gig for a simple install, so you still have
    4 or so for other apps. I thought it was data storage you were worrieed
    about. My bad.

    Mike

    Mike Marquis, Feb 20, 2009
  7. me

    BillW50 Guest

    In Mike Marquis typed on Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:26:26 -0600:
    Actually with the free driver called "Hitachi microdrive filter"
    installed, it will see your flash drives as fixed drives and no
    applications will have a problem installing there. For more info, see
    P_D post in the link below:

    http://www.usbhacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=31&sid=b00375fe45f717f72c0826073dd5e90b

    I had used it for months and it does work. Although I didn't like the
    idea of never pulling out the flash drive while the OS was running. Plus
    they say the "Hitachi microdrive filter" also slows down the performance
    of the flash drive. Although I don't recall that, but maybe. As I quit
    using it long before I heard about this side affect.

    And about space, Windows XP Home installs in 2.7GB. And I have no big
    problem of keeping the OS and applications down to 5.5GB with my 8GB
    SSD. My 4GB SSD this task is a bit tougher and I keep those down to
    3.5GB.

    There are some people who have claimed they had stripped down their
    Windows XP down to under 500MB. I find this interesting, but not
    interesting enough because that means they only have a part of the
    Windows XP OS installed. Something I don't think I could live with.

    BillW50, Feb 20, 2009
  8. me

    me Guest

    No problem

    No I need application space. I'm already at 7 gig on
    the 8 gig drive!

    me, Feb 20, 2009
  9. me

    me Guest

    me, Feb 20, 2009
  10. me

    me Guest

    OK Bill thanks

    You have any advice on reasonable cost upgrade for Mini
    9?

    me, Feb 20, 2009
  11. me

    me Guest