    getting much throughput from my disk drives...

    Thanks,

    Pat

    Vincent Patterson, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Vincent Patterson

    Robert Akins Guest

    I don't think the driver version is going to make much difference. The
    503+'s IDE controller is only going to do UDMA2 (DMA33) and you aren't going
    to get close to advertised throughput anyway. If you're using newer drives
    that are ATA66 or faster, you should put them on a Promise IDE controller
    card or similar.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Vincent Patterson

    Tim Guest

    It may depend on the OS; 98/ME, 2000, XP? In the majority of cases,
    the native MS IDE drivers are best all-around. I have read some cases
    requiring the VIA IDE/Miniport driver when using 2000 or XP, but they
    seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

    First thing, check if your drives are using DMA transfers by looking
    at the device settings page for the drive in Device Manager. If the
    DMA box is not selected (no check mark), then you're using the much
    slower PIO mode. Select DMA for each IDE drive and restart your
    computer. Then go back to Device Manager to verify that the DMA box
    remained selected after restarting. If it did not, then the driver
    isn't detecting your drives as supporting DMA. It may be the drive,
    it may be the driver, and we can go from there.

    Also enter BIOS SETUP to verify that UDMA mode is enabled for your IDE
    drives (under Integrated Peripherals). Otherwise, your IDE drives are
    restricted to MultiWord DMA Mode 2 (MWDMA2), which has a maximum
    throughput of 16MB/sec vs. 33MB/sec for UDMA Mode 2.

    Regards,

    Tim

    Tim, Oct 14, 2003