Best videocard for K7VTA PRO 1.0 w/ Athlon 2000+?

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Dick Trace, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Dick Trace

    Dick Trace Guest

    Which videocard do you recommend for an Athlon 2000+ with 640 MB PC133
    RAM on a Soyo K7VTA PRO 1.0 motherboard (AGP 2.0 4x, VIA KT133A
    chipset)?
    My old trusty voodoo3 is useless now. I will NOT upgrade/overclock the
    system, just the videocard.

    I suppose NV4x (6600GT?) is the last nVidia chip with AGP support (how
    about the 6200?).
    Are the new ATI cards (X600-X800) PCI-Express only or do the support
    AGP?

    Is a 6600GT a waste of money for my config?
    I was thinking that maybe a Radeon 9600XT would be a better choice,
    albeit slower.

    And most important: anyone with experience on those videocards and the
    K7VTA PRO 1.0 motherboard?

    Thanks a lot and forgive my great english.

    Dick Trace, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Dick Trace

    j.burghdoff Guest

    There are no video cards that support both PCI-Express and AGP they use
    a completely different slot. But the ATI X600 and X800 are avalible in
    either format. I have the ATI X800 Pro here and it's an excellent card.
    But this card can not be overclocked.

    As for whats best for you, it depends on what your doing with the
    computer. High end gaming by someone thats really into games would
    benifit from a high end video card. But you need to be really into
    gaming to justify the high cost of the video card. If your only playing
    games now and then it doesn't justify the cost when you can get a mid
    range card to play the game but without all the eye candy the high
    dollar card will give you.

    j.burghdoff, Dec 18, 2004