Best way to clean dirty motherboard

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mydejamail, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. mydejamail

    mydejamail Guest

    A computer of mine is really giving problems and when I opened it turns
    out that the motherboard is incredibly filthy and has some fine
    congealed dust on it.
    The memory chip is very dirty. Swapping it makes the computer ran for
    longer without but it halts after some time.Some of the contacts appear
    to be corroding and there is dust stuck to an area which appears to
    have been wet before.

    Replacing it allows the computer to run for longer. but the problems
    came back after a while

    I don't like the idea of cleaning it out with compressed air which I
    don't think will do a good enough job, and in all fairness I would like
    to wash it out thoroughly.

    What is the recommended way of cleaning or washing a motherboard and
    the chips on it? I really don't think compressed air will do a good job
    considering that sticky stuff I saw.

    Are there any companies in the London area that offer such a service?

    /My Deja

    mydejamail, Jun 13, 2006

  2. mydejamail

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Nees special chemicals that will not desolce the plastic components.
    The chemicals will afterwards be contaminated and possibly useless.
    My guess is that this will be far more expensive (x10...x100) than
    getting a new mainboard.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Jun 13, 2006

  3. mydejamail

    Norm Dresner Guest

    |A computer of mine is really giving problems and when I opened it turns
    | out that the motherboard is incredibly filthy and has some fine
    | congealed dust on it.
    | The memory chip is very dirty. Swapping it makes the computer ran for
    | longer without but it halts after some time.Some of the contacts appear
    | to be corroding and there is dust stuck to an area which appears to
    | have been wet before.
    |
    | Replacing it allows the computer to run for longer. but the problems
    | came back after a while
    |
    | I don't like the idea of cleaning it out with compressed air which I
    | don't think will do a good enough job, and in all fairness I would like
    | to wash it out thoroughly.
    |
    | What is the recommended way of cleaning or washing a motherboard and
    | the chips on it? I really don't think compressed air will do a good job
    | considering that sticky stuff I saw.
    |
    | Are there any companies in the London area that offer such a service?
    |
    | /My Deja

    There are any number of chemicals used as cleaners for PCB, both during
    manufacture and after assembly. One non-chemical possibility is a simple
    rubber eraser which will remove a lot of corrosion and oxides by simply
    rubbing gently. Look for the GC brand of cleaners.
    Norm

    Norm Dresner, Jun 14, 2006
  4. mydejamail

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    The correct way of completely cleaning such a board is to imerse it in dry
    cleaning fluid. The type 'A' fluid (sold as Arklone in the UK) is the
    correct type to use. Carrying out such a task is beyond the scope of a home
    user (including being overcome by the fumes). As an alternative, if
    particular problems are encountered (you mention memory connections), the
    memory contacts and the sockets can be cleaned with Iso-propyl alcohol
    (often sold as tape head cleaner).

    M.I.5¾, Sep 28, 2006
  5. mydejamail

    DDavis2580

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have an acer aspire 1690 , I need to set default startup options Help!!!

    DDavis2580, Aug 11, 2008