  1. DocRon

    DocRon Guest

    Is there a better program than iTunes for my iPod Nano?

    DocRon, Feb 29, 2008

  2. No.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 29, 2008

  3. Read the subject line again. There's a better program, iTunes for
    Mac OS X.[/QUOTE]

    *chuckle*

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 29, 2008
  4. DocRon

    InThePNW Guest

    Wow, what a worthless and childish bunch of replies.

    DocRon, by "better" I would guess you are wanting MORE than iTunes.
    If you are wanting of a program for your iPod, I don't know of a 3rd
    party program that has more features and greater manipulation.

    I've use both iTunes for Mac and PC and actually prefer the PC version
    for library control purposes.

    InThePNW, Feb 29, 2008
  5. DocRon

    AES Guest

    Actually, some of us have long wanted LESS than iTunes, viz.

    * Just download and/or rip audio files into a hierarchical folder
    structure of *our* choosing, with files and folders in this structure
    organized and named by *us* (using the Finder, that is, with files of
    course converted to iPod-readable audio formats as required)

    * Then just periodically dump the latest version of this user
    controlled folder structure to our iPod, and be able to navigate it and
    listen to individual files, using our structure and nothing else

    And *never* have to encounter iTunes or try to become familiar with all
    its (for us) unwanted and dysfunctional complexities.

    AES, Feb 29, 2008
  6. DocRon

    John Albert Guest

    RE:
    <<Actually, some of us have long wanted LESS than iTunes, viz.
    * Just download and/or rip audio files into a hierarchical
    folder
    structure of *our* choosing, with files and folders in this
    structure
    organized and named by *us* (using the Finder, that is, with
    files of
    course converted to iPod-readable audio formats as required)
    * Then just periodically dump the latest version of this user
    controlled folder structure to our iPod, and be able to
    navigate it and
    listen to individual files, using our structure and nothing else
    And *never* have to encounter iTunes or try to become
    familiar with all
    its (for us) unwanted and dysfunctional complexities. >>

    Agreed.

    The main reason that I've never owned an iPod - even though
    I've been a dedicated Mac fan since 1987 (and an Apple //
    user before that!) - is that I don't want to have to
    "manage" it through iTunes.

    I'd rather do just as you say - manage the song files
    _directly_, "as files" and nothing else, using a file/folder
    hierarchy that _I_ create on the iPod's drive, NOT iTunes.

    Perhaps "YamiPod" can do this?

    - John

    John Albert, Mar 1, 2008
  7. DocRon

    DocRon Guest

    Sorry Jolly and Mike. I didn't specify what constitutes "better" as I
    was hoping for replies such as "I like program Y because it allows me
    to XYZ and iTunes doesn't." in order to learn about features and
    strengths iTunes doesn't have.

    And yes, I posted through Google to the Mac System newsgroup.

    You've both been a very helpful.

    Thank you.

    DocRon, Mar 3, 2008
  8. DocRon

    The New guy Guest

    The OP didn't even bother to specify what he meant by "better", so he
    This is a great question. Sometimes, no most of the time, iTunes'
    dictatorship attitude is a little overbearing. Just drop that file and
    let me hear it. An alternative would be most refreshing. Otherwise
    what are some other MP3 players that have 10's of gb's storage and play
    lossless? (No video is necessary.)

    The New guy, Mar 3, 2008
  9. DocRon

    AES Guest

    There are a lot of them, some get decent reviews, and quite a few of
    them come with reportedly decent FM radios built in. I collected a
    bunch of links, but never gotten around to reading most of them. Since
    it's easy to dump 'em all here, FWIW here they are:

    http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

    http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/zune-second-generation-80gb/4505-6490
    _7-32638989.html?tag=also

    http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/zune-second-generation-80gb/4505-6490
    _7-32638989.html?tag=also http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_media_player

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_player

    http://www.sober-productions.co.uk/articles/why-im-no-longer-using-anapod
    -explorer

    http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/toshiba-gigabeat-u-2gb/4505-6490_7-32
    563626.html?tag=lst

    http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/sony-nwz-b105f-2gb/4505-6490_7-325938
    78.html?tag=lst http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6490_7-6550381.html?tag=txt

    http://cnet.nytimes.com/mp3-players/sandisk-sansa-e260-4gb/4505-6490_7-31
    684139.html?subj=SanDisk+Sansa+e260+%284GB%29&tag=feed&part=nytimes%0A

    http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/sandisk-sansa-clip-2gb/4505-6490_7-32
    577903.html?tag=lst http://www.mp3.com/hardware.php

    http://reviews.cnet.com/handheld-software/red-chair-anapod-explorer/4505-
    3638_7-30869485.html

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/29/technology/personaltech/29pogue.html?ex
    =1213074000&en=29d5e3329c68918b&ei=5087&excamp=OVTEmp3playerreview&WT.src
    h=1&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_id=TE-S-E-YH-NA-NA-mp3_player_review

    http://www.pcworld.com/product/pricefinder/browse/category.html?id=10135&
    src=sem&CMP=KNC-SEM&HBX_PK=pcw_01_shop-mp3plyrs-uscan-2-all&utm_source=sh
    op-mp3plyrs-uscan-2-all&utm_medium=shop-mp3plyrs-uscan-2-all&utm_content=
    shop-mp3plyrs-uscan-2-all-a&utm_campaign=Google-CPC

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/managing_your_ipod_without_i
    tunes

    http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylc=X3oDMTFrODI3ZHYzBF9TAzc4NDcxNzg4NAR
    rA3doYXQgaXMgdGhlIGJlc3QgbXAzIHBsYXllcgRzZWMDdGl0bGU-?p=what+is+the+best+
    mp3+player

    http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mwvodcast/2007/11/mwvodcast25/index.php?l
    src=mwweek

    http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/iriver-clix-4gb-second/4505-6490_7-32
    327766.html?tag=also

    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=idx

    http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/creative-zen-4gb/4505-6490_7-32589082
    ..html?tag=lst

    http://www.online.consumerreports.org/test/MP3/index.htm?EXTKEY=SG72E00&C
    MP=KNC-CROELECG&HBX_OU=50&HBX_PK=apple_mp3_players

    http://www.cnet.com/holiday-gift-guide/mp3-portable-video-players/

    http://www.archos.com/store_us/family_b.html?country=us&lang=en&fam_id=00
    00000002 http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

    AES, Mar 4, 2008
  10. DocRon

    DocRon Guest

    Now was that so hard. Thanks much AE S. This was EXACTLY what I was
    asking for.

    When reading reviews of anapod, a reviewer commented on how WinAmp
    controls the iPod. I went to the WinAmp site and it too says it
    controls all but the iPhone and iTouch.

    Thanks again.

    DocRon, Mar 13, 2008
  11. DocRon

    AES Guest

    You're welcome.

    And, if anyone finds a specific bottom-line solution they really like for

    * Portable *audio* listening (video, pictures, etc, not really needed)

    * To *Mac-downloaded* audio files (mostly _not_ music)

    * Using *some specific brand* of player (iPod or any other brand)

    * That's *not interfaced through iTunes*

    please post details!

    AES, Mar 13, 2008