Better sounds card than SB live for KT7?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Tony Toews, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews Guest

    Folks

    I'm having the standard sound stutter problems with the KT7 and SB Live at 100% CPU
    usage. No sense in wasting my time trying various software updates or settings
    which I've tried in the past.

    Does the Audigy work well? Or is it a matter of anything but a SB Live? At the
    cheap end I see SB PCI128.

    I just want adequate sound and don't need the fancier 7.1 sound system for gaming or
    DVD watching. I just want to listen to music while working.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    read the entire thread of messages.

    Tony Toews, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews Guest

    I was going to see what was mentioned at Paul's KT7 FAQ but it is currently not
    available.

    Tony

    Tony Toews, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Tony Toews

    Hayno Guest

    Hayno, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Tony Toews

    borolad Guest

    I've still got one of these, never touched it for years, I use it as a
    front end 'pseudo router' for x4 unit connection to my ISP.

    I've used SB PCI128 in the past and currently use SBLive. Now the
    difficult part - there is / was always a problem with the VIA chipset
    and SB card in general. Latency issues caused megga worldwide
    problems, trouble is I can't remember what the fix was. Someone in
    this group however will remember.

    - enter stage left to rapturous applause TomG, Jeff-the Bird Norton,
    Big Badger and others.

    What I do remember was the CPU-to-PCI bridge latency timer hogged the
    bus and crippled fluent multitasking. Assuming your on A9 BIOS we need
    to know which cards are in which slot e.g. :

    - Soundcard should be in middle slot
    - No cards at all in slot next to AGP slot, etc

    George Breese used to have a ' quick 'n dirty ' fix / test for this,
    here:
    http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

    No idea whether this date is correct but ABiT have a VIA 4 in 1
    Service Pack v4.51set with a release date of My this year, here:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios.php?categories=1&model=92

    Got to go somewhere, if the old [ safe ] hands have not responded I've
    have a look / think at your problem later.

    BoroLad

    borolad, Jul 3, 2004
  5. Tony Toews

    texterted Guest

    Hi Tony
    I made my life a lot easier when I ditched all ideas of a
    Creative SB product and bought a cheap Phillips 4:1
    Dynamic edge.
    It just works - without any issues.
    hth
    Ted

    texterted, Jul 3, 2004
  6. Tony Toews

    patrickp Guest

    I got myself a Videologic Sonic Fury (same card as a Turtle Beach
    Santa Cruz card, but rebadged for the European market) a while ago. I
    found it sounded better than my SB Digital 5.1, but slowed my system
    down - particularly the mouse - with whatever drivers I tried, on two
    different machines.

    But they were both W98SE boxes. Got a copy of of W2K and upgraded one
    of them, and eventually thought I'd give the Sonic Fury another go.
    Not only does it sound better than the SB, my system's now _faster_
    than with the SB. Go figure.

    I guess they just never bothered to write decent drivers for W98.
    Those were always VXD drivers, while the W2K ones are WDM. AIR Turtle
    Beach wrote a WDM set for W98, which the card worked better with under
    W98 than any of the other drivers, but Videologic never produced their
    own version of this and I had some other issues with that driver.

    Certainly worth trying if you're running W2K or XP, though. If you're
    in N America and can get a Turtle Beach card, that might even be worth
    trying with a W98SE system and their WDM drivers.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 3, 2004