    Free USB stack? chip with USB implemented or stand alone USB chip
    interface?

    I am pretty new to USB interface. I only use some 8051/z80 20 years ago.

    kathy, Sep 18, 2006

  2. kathy

    chris.felton Guest

    Couple questions you need to answer first.
    1. Do you need USB high speed? (480Mbps)
    2. Driver type, HID, etc

    If you need the high speed the only sensible solution I know of is the
    Cypress FX2 USB controller. With the Keil (or SDCC) the development
    environments are pretty straight forward. It is a pretty complicated
    chip so there is a learnig curve.

    If you don't need high speed there are a lot more options. Most ARM
    vendors have a USB full (12Mbps) variant. Lots of availabe code etc.
    You will need a USB stack for these, the FX2 doesn't require much USB
    handling firmware.

    There are other useful chips FTDI etc. but these are full speed. The
    FTDI have good driver support for quick connections.

    chris.felton, Sep 19, 2006

  3. kathy

    chris.felton Guest

    Also make sure you get Jan Alexson (www.lvr.com) "USB Complete" book!

    chris.felton, Sep 19, 2006
  4. Do you need USB host or device functionality?

    Leo Havmøller.

    Leo Havmøller, Sep 19, 2006
  5. kathy

    Rocky Guest

    FTDI do both. In silicon with a simple interface.

    Rocky

    Rocky, Sep 19, 2006
  6. kathy

    Eric Guest

    Since nobody has pointed this out yet, it's worth noting that there is
    no easy way to implement USB unless you use a third-party module that's
    already got the software and drivers pre-configured and ready-to-go.

    If your primary requirement is somewhat low speed (115K or slower)
    serial comm, then you can use one of the many USB-to-serial solutions
    and that would make your life much easier! Some companies also have SPI
    solutions that run a little faster.

    There are several companies that will generate the software for you -
    like jungo. But it's not cheap.

    I think Microchip and Silabs have some USB stacks that are low cost and
    royalty free. But most software stacks tend to be expensive.

    Eric, Sep 19, 2006
  7. kathy

    Ali Guest

    As OP didn't mention what OS they want to target;-)
    anyhow new driver generation for MS OSs (WDF Windows Driver Framework)
    is quite easy to get started. You don't even need to dig in kernel,
    they have introduced UMDF (user mode driver framework) for that.

    ali

    Ali, Sep 19, 2006
  8. "Rocky" <> skrev i meddelandet

    With teh AT91SAM7S series you get a nice USB interface inside the controller
    and source code for HID, Mass Storage and CDC.
    No need to bother with external chips and Jungo
    (although Jungo now supports the AT91 as well)

    Ulf Samuelsson, Sep 19, 2006
  9. kathy

    Leon Guest

    The PIC18F2455 is quite easy to use for USB applications, here is some
    stuff of mine describing how to go about it:

    http://www.leonheller.com/usb

    Leon

    Leon, Sep 19, 2006