Beware of Radio Shack

Discussion in 'Apple' started by news, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. news

    news Guest

    I have talked to several friends and clients who didnt have the original
    packaging(who does after 1 month) after the products went bad/defective.
    These incidents happened after 1 month or so ,and they flat out refused to
    even grant a replacement or credit. These were computer components,
    Notebook adaptors and stereo equipment. If you must buy from them,
    Save the complete packaging in pristine condition for as long as the
    warranty is in play.
    If you dont, they will refuse you even an exchange. Keep this in mind
    before you go there
    and know that most larger retailers will promptly issue a credit at least
    for defective products
    not in original pristine packaging
    CR

    --
    http://QLiner.com

    Well, dinner would have been splendid... if the wine had been as cold as the
    soup, the beef as rare as the service, the brandy as old as the fish, and
    the maid as willing as the Duchess. - Winston Churchill

    news, Jul 15, 2004

  2. news

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I do. Anything high-value or fragile, I keep the original packing
    long after warranty--in case I ever want to change addresses.

    But I agree about Radio Shack in general. Not a great place to buy.

    Wes Groleau, Jul 15, 2004

  3. news

    Martin Guest

    And maybe some day you will have a loft full of boxes with no use.

    Martin, Jul 15, 2004
  4. news

    mike Guest

    If it's an exchange, use the box from the replacement to return the old one.
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID.
    Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

    mike, Jul 15, 2004
  5. news

    Bob Day Guest

    Take it up with them in small claims court.

    -- Bob Day

    Bob Day, Jul 15, 2004
  6. news

    yak Guest

    Heh, the ONLY things I buy at radio shack are little electronics
    components (fuses, diodes, transistors, switches, etc.). That's all the
    store is good for.

    yak, Jul 15, 2004
  7. news

    Rod Smith Guest

    This is probably good advice, but many packaged items these days require
    repeated assault with a very large, sharp machete to remove from a
    plastic shield that rivals steel in strength and durability.

    Just this morning I installed a new ink cartridge in my Epson printer,
    and I marveled how tough the packaging was -- absolutely impenetrable
    without sharp tools!

    Rod Smith, Jul 15, 2004
  8. news

    Auric__ Guest

    They never mentioned that the packaging has to be in one piece.

    Auric__, Jul 15, 2004
  9. news

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Every time I try to buy something there, even if I pay cash,
    they try to get my address and phone number. I always have
    to argue with them. "You don't need my phone number to send
    your stupid catalog, and I don't want the catalog anyway."

    But they still argue they need it. Eventually I win or
    I walk out with my money and no product.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    There are some ideas so wrong that only a
    very intelligent person could believe in them.
    -- George Orwell

    Wes Groleau, Jul 16, 2004
  10. news

    Mantra Guest

    If this is true, I wouldn't have left. Naturally the manager's claim
    is utter BS. It would have been fun to call his bluff and let the
    police come. There's a minor issue of 1st Amendment, and then half a
    dozen criminal and civil cases if the police a dumb enough to take the
    manager's side. Even with the store theoretically being "private
    property" that fact that it's open to the public pretty much trumps
    that argument. And them there's the PR value of calling a press
    conference in front of the store to utter ridicule the manager and
    corporate HQ. Don't be a wimp next time. :)

    MM

    Mantra, Jul 16, 2004

  11. < snip >

    It must just be some stores (or maybe big-ticket purchases). I just bought
    something at RS today and nobody wanted anything but the money.

    Sal M. Onella, Jul 16, 2004
  12. news

    Greg Buchner Guest

    Not to mention the fact that technically, they can't legally ask you for
    your social security number. But the don't have to sell the product to
    you if you don't want to provide it apparently.

    from the SSA website:
    <http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/>
    and click on the Questions about your Social Security number & card link.

    When do I have to provide my Social Security number?

    Question

    Must I provide a Social Security number (SSN) to any business or
    government agency that asks?

    Answer

    The Social Security number (SSN) was originally devised to keep an
    accurate record of each individuals earnings, and to subsequently
    monitor benefits paid under the Social Security program. However, use
    of the SSN as a general identifier has grown to the point where it is
    the most commonly used and convenient identifier for all types of
    record-keeping systems in the United States.

    Specific laws require a person to provide his/her SSN for certain
    purposes. While we cannot give you a comprehensive list of all
    situations where an SSN might be required or requested, an SSN is
    required/requested by:

    Internal Revenue Service for tax returns and federal loans
    Employers for wage and tax reporting purposes
    States for the school lunch program
    Banks for monetary transactions
    Veterans Administration as a hospital admission number
    Department of Labor for workers compensation
    Department of Education for Student Loans
    States to administer any tax, general public assistance, motor vehicle
    or drivers license law within its jurisdiction
    States for child support enforcement
    States for commercial drivers licenses
    States for Food Stamps
    States for Medicaid
    States for Unemployment Compensation
    States for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families
    U.S. Treasury for U.S. Savings Bonds

    The Privacy Act regulates the use of SSNs by government agencies. When a
    Federal, State, or local government agency asks an individual to
    disclose his or her Social Security number, the Privacy Act requires the
    agency to inform the person of the following: the statutory or other
    authority for requesting the information; whether disclosure is
    mandatory or voluntary; what uses will be made of the information; and
    the consequences, if any, of failure to provide the information.

    If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse
    to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or
    service for which your number was requested. For example, utility
    companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do
    not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their
    records by alternative means. Giving your number is voluntary, even when
    you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why
    your number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires
    you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The
    answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your
    Social Security number. The decision is yours.

    For more detailed information, we recommend the publication at
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10002.html

    Greg B.

    Greg Buchner, Jul 16, 2004
  13. news

    kony Guest

    How long since your last visit?

    I recall they often asked me, but heard that their official
    policy had changed, that all stores specifically do _NOT_ require
    any info whatsoever for cash purchases.

    kony, Jul 16, 2004
  14. news

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Wes Groleau
    They usually have business cards on the desk (the ones around here do,
    anyway) -- Just read off the name, phone number and address from there.

    DevilsPGD, Jul 16, 2004
  15. news

    alpha_uma Guest

    Next time when you pay with cash but the business still asks for your social
    security number, just tell them that you are visiting from Britain or
    Europe.
    Al-U

    alpha_uma, Jul 16, 2004
  16. news

    JW Guest

    Ahh yes. Packaging so sturdy that you have a 50% chance of destroying the
    enclosed merchandise before getting the package open.
    Ya just gotta love it!

    JW, Jul 16, 2004
  17. news

    Cindy Murray Guest

    I do, too. I have speakers that are 15 years old and we still have the
    original packaging for them. Comes in very handy when we move, since we
    usually trek long distances. Still have the boxes my computers came in,
    too.

    Cindy Murray, Jul 16, 2004
  18. news

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Yep, same here, although the selection of discrete components has vastly diminished over the last twenty
    or so odd years.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jul 16, 2004
  19. news

    Jon Danniken Guest

    I used to get a kick out of telling them my name, "Jon", and then when they asked for the last name I
    would say, "Doe". Most of the time they would write down the last name before they figured it out.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jul 16, 2004
  20. news

    Fuzzie Dice Guest

    They *used* to be. Back in the 80s I had a Tandy Color Computer 3 and also
    bought stereo equipment from them and other computer stuff (including a PC
    once). They used to make good on things, packaging or not. I have noticed
    recently that they have went downhill over the years though. Such a shame.
    My problems were that the staff weren't as well informed about their
    products as the staff they used to have in the 80s.

    Fuzzie Dice, Jul 16, 2004