    (local shop prices)

    Is the 640mb version worth the extra CAN$175???

    The spec out everything the same except for amount of memory.

    Jethro, Mar 19, 2007

  2. Jethro

    rmd Guest

    if you plan on adding high res textures in oblivion or other mods in
    games.

    I always think you can never have too much ram :) Give it a year or
    two and people who say 320mb is enough will be biting their lips
    wishing they have more videoram or ram in general.

    I remember when I was told 8mb ram was never going to required for my
    486dx2-66 when 1mb was standard and 2mb !! was huge.

    5 year later my computer was still running fine, while others went
    through countless upgrades to try and stay up to date.

    I guess you get what you pay for...why be a tightarse when it comes to
    the videocard which is pretty much responsible for eveything you see
    on your screen - especially if you play games.

    There is too much blood in my alcohol system

    rmd, Mar 19, 2007

  3. Jethro

    Paul Guest

    http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1049/11

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 19, 2007
  4. Jethro

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    That may be so but intoxicated or not you understand the issues
    regarding available video memory and a better gaming experience through
    larger (and assumed therefore better) textures.

    Oblivion is the current perfect example, in that so many mods are
    available that demand ample video memory for fantastic end results with
    little to no performance hit. i.e., Quarl's Landscape Texture
    replacement come in 4096x4096 sizes if you choose, which would fit
    nicely in a 320M space at 1600x1200 resolution, Being a superior card, I
    suspect 1920x1200(WS) would also perform well and have room for the
    larger 4M textures.

    As always, the OP has not provided what his intended apps or games are,
    so who knows what's best...

    Mr.E Solved!, Mar 20, 2007
  5. Jethro

    Will Guest

    Just decided on that myself and went with the 320.
    in speed for your everyday use, however it is not much and the extra
    money could be spent in ways that would give a bigger speed boost.

    however if you are working with monitors in the 30 inch range then you
    need the extra memory, in the 24-26 range it can go any way.

    another thing to consider is that right now you are paying a high
    premium for thoses cards, so you could purchase the 320MB now and then
    when prices drop hugly purchase a 640 and SLI them together.

    Will, Mar 21, 2007