BFG FX5900 and the Abit NF7-S V2 board, are they compatible?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Mark, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I hope someone can help me figure this out.
    IS ANYONE running the BFG FX5900 on the NF7-S V2 Board?
    I can not get it to run. At post I see gray verticle lines. They go
    away if in the BIOS. Then they appear at the black and graphic XP
    Home screen but the lines are blue. Then the screen goes black and
    there is a hang and then it reboots never loading XP.
    Then I get a Windows did not load screen and to boot in safe mode
    choices. This screen does not have the lines but it will not boot even
    in safe mode.

    I have been in contact with both Abit and BFG
    Both claim it is not their product that is the probllem.

    Currently I am runnig a BFG FX5600 with 256 memory and it is running
    fine.
    So ABIT says the AGP slot is running fine.
    Abit states they tested the 5900 chipset in this model board. Not BFG
    but the chipset and they said it worked fine. But I do not know how I
    would know if they actually tested it. Abit argued that 8X agp is
    always .8 V and no matter what card it will use the same voltage even
    if one consumes more power at that voltatge.

    BFG says they are sort of right. AND that the two cards require
    different power. They just sent me a second card and it produced THE
    SAME problem. IN that time they suggested to upgrade the PSU. I did
    to an 500 W AND for some reason they are sending me a THRID card to
    test.

    I decided to loose any savings I had so ordered a second MB to be
    certain it is not a defective part on the board. It is the only true
    way.

    BUT I see both sides- If I am running a card in the AGP slot, how
    could it be the main board? If I am on my second video card, how can
    it be the card?

    So I am in need of help to find if anyone can run BFGs card on the
    NF7-S V2.
    If you do can you post what BIOS you are using?

    here is what I have done- I have updated all the drivers, the bios to
    v 21 and all the nforce chipset drivers as of 3 weeks ago. I have
    upgraded my power supply and tried uplugging itemss to make sure the
    power is strong.
    I have changed settings in the BIOS as per BFGs list of recommended
    settings.
    I have tried upping the AGP voltage in the BIOS to 1.7 with no change.

    I can only conclude, until the new parts come, that it is the BFG
    FX5900 and ABIT NF7-S are NOT COMPATIBLE.
    BUT if some ARE using them together, then I am stumped what is wrong.
    Thanks for a prompt reply
    Specs
    Abit NF7-S V2
    Bios Award V 21
    AMD 2500+ Bartron (never over clocked)
    1 Gig Kingston Value Ram running in dual channel mode (2x512 PC 2700)
    Achieve 500W PSU
    1 Floppy
    1 TDK Velo CD writer
    1 SATA Seagate 160 Gig
    1 WD 30 Gig drive
    1 PCI call wating modem
    4 USB devices (printer, scanner, mouse, card reader)
    Serial keyboard
    Using Onboard sound
    Note: my email is wrong in the above. Plese just post your answers quickly.
    Thanks!

    Mark, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Mark

    John Lewis Guest

    Er.......... you did hook up the 4-pin power connector to the board,
    didn't you ? If so, make sure that none of the female contacts have
    been spread such that they make poor connection.

    If not, connect up the 4-pin and ignore the following.............

    I assume that you mean the black screens with text immediately
    after power-up ?

    Do you still see the same gray vertical lines on the POST screen
    with all cards removed except the video card ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Yes I hooked up the power connector.
    No bent pins. Same results on the two cards tried.
    Yes the gray lines are on the post screen with all cards removed.

    Mark, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Mark

    John Lewis Guest

    Are you overclocking or have custom memory timings ?
    If so, set everything to vanilla default and memory by SPD.

    AGP speed is default ? (66MHz) I am not familiar with the
    nForce chip-set, so I do not know whether it is able to run
    fixed PCI/AGP 33/66 speeds regardless of FSB speed. However,
    for this experiment assume that if present, the lock function does
    not work and make sure that your FSB speed is default
    and AGP speed is absolutely certainly 66MHz..

    Check that the power connector you are using for the FX5900
    works fine with one of your hard-disks.
    Very odd.

    I have a BFG ASLM5900 in an Abit IC7-G (P4 CPU). No problems.
    And it also happens to overclock like a champ........

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Well I have my answer on the video card and actually made out for all
    this trouble.
    Well I was happy that the new board was slightly newer version with
    the lastest BIOS already installed (v22) so no upgrading was needed.
    They also changed some colors on the IDE and Memory slots.

    I hoped it would solve my problem but it did not . You guess ketp
    guessing cit could be the power supply and that a $23 500W power
    supply probably did not put out what they say.
    I was not sure but all signs were leading to that and I was just about
    to go to Staples to try a name brand.

    Then later today UPS delivered the video card.
    The first thing I noticed was it looked radically different. I could
    not figure out what they sent me so went on line and saw it was the
    ULTRA version which had 256 MB RAM on board vs the 128MB.
    I popped it in and it worked IMMEDIATELY! Not the PSU at all and I
    bet my older PSU would have worked.

    I did a Pricewatch.com search and this brand card is selling for
    $375!!! WHOO HOO!
    The lostest priced of tha chipset was $303!

    Seeing I bought the card for $168 I am more than pleased.
    BFG TECH SUPPORT ROCKS!

    Oh and they were nice enough to send a prepaid return shipping label.
    BFG ROCKS!

    Even though it was a bit of a hassle, in the end the newer stuff was
    worth it.

    SO it was OBVIOUSLY the card but weird how they sent the other card
    that did not work either. Maybe they did know of an issue and
    figured they'd upgrade me to solve the problem. Very nice of them.

    If it was the PSU then the new card would have created more of a
    drain. The card should use MORE power since it has more memory on
    it. SO if it was a board/PSU problem it should have been the same.

    Maybe there were many more issues with the cards of that line than
    they would like to admit.
    Final- The BFG FX5900 ULTRA with 256 runs great on the NF7-S 2.0
    As to the BFG FX5900, I can not say it works or they have cards out
    there that are defective, even from them direct it would seem.
    Thanks for all the help.

    Mark, Feb 25, 2004