BH6 and Sound Blaster Live! Value

Discussion in 'Abit' started by alan, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. alan

    alan Guest

    I bought a Sound Blaster Live! Value card (CT4780) on Ebay recently
    and haven't been able to get it to work. It was a bare card with no
    drivers. Oddly enough, I only get sound out of it when I play an audio
    CD. No sound from wav, mp3, or midi files. I've checked the standard
    culprits: sources aren't muted in the mixer, volume is turned up, no
    IRQ conflicts, drivers seem to be installed correctly, digital output
    is disabled. I thought it might be due to left-over drivers from the
    ISA sound card I had installed before, so I tried a clean install of
    Windows with just the Sound Blaster installed. No luck. The drivers
    came from the Creative web site for the Windows 98 SoundBlaster Live!
    Value. I'm running out of ideas to try. Does anyone have any
    suggestions?

    Here are some details of my setup:

    Windows 98
    Abit BH6 motherboard
    Celeron 1.1GHz
    448 MB RAM
    WD 80GB hard drive
    WD 10GB hard drive
    Yamaha CRW2200EZ
    Diamond Viper V770 AGP TNT2 video card
    Best Data 56FW PCI modem (slot 3)
    Sound Blaster Live! (slot 2)
    Floppy disk

    [IRQs]

    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    5 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro
    5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 (free)
    10 Creative SB Live! Value
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Best Data PCI Modem Enumerator
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

    alan, Oct 17, 2003

  2. alan

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Have you contacted the seller?

    Yea, the sound card won't work without the latest drivers as the card
    is newer than the operating system.

    When you play CDs (in win98) the audio comes from the audio jack on
    the side of the CD drive and plays through the jack on the sound card.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Oct 18, 2003

  3. alan

    New Question Guest

    Try a video card other than the Diamond Viper and see what happens.

    New Question, Oct 19, 2003
  4. alan

    Berniez Guest

    There is some kind of a bug using Win98 and that Sound Blaster live. If
    I remember right, you need to reserve irq 5 for the slot that the
    soundblaster live is in. This will fix the problem. It seems the card
    under win98 will not work right unless it uses irq 5. There is a faq in
    the sounblaster web site that addresses this somewhere.
    Bernie

    Berniez, Oct 20, 2003
  5. alan

    Len Guest

    I have a soundblaster live but not sure what model it is and I am not
    about to take it out to find out. I have never had a problem with
    installing it under win98se, here is a list of my IRQ's
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Communications Port (COM4)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC
    (3C905C-TX)
    9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 Matrox Millennium G550 - English
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 Creative SB Live! Value
    10 Win9x-ME Promise Ultra100 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Always IN-2000 SCSI Host Adapter
    12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse (IntelliPoint)
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

    AGP Matrox video card
    empty
    sound blaster
    promise
    3com nic
    modem com4 ISA
    scsi card ISA

    The only forced IRQ is 11 for the old scsi card for my scanner.

    Not saying there is not an IRQ5 problem but I have never seen it here.

    REMOVE the NOCRAP in my address to reply.

    Len, Oct 20, 2003
  6. alan

    alan Guest

    I finally got everything working. I had to download and install the
    original CT4780 drivers and applications (found them at
    www.pionex.com) before I got everything to work. (It was a 100 MB
    file.) Updating later to the latest Windows 98 drivers from the
    Creative site hosed everything up. I don't know if it is something
    unique about my setup or something about Windows 98 standard that
    caused the problem.

    By the way, I got hold of and installed the WIN98SE/ME drivers (no
    applications). They allowed sound to come out of the first line out
    jack from all sources, but didn't give me a way to enable sound out of
    the second line out jack. They also hosed up the Creative
    applications. I had to reinstall all the original drivers and
    applications. The Creative mixer application provides the way to
    enable sound out of the second line out jack.

    I didn't have to make any IRQ reassignments, change slots, or move
    jumpers.

    Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.

    Alan

    alan, Oct 23, 2003