BH6: USB2.0 PCI Card doesn't work (all available PCI slots full)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Arnold, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Arnold

    Arnold Guest

    I installed a U-Connect USB 2.0 PCI card into my BH6. Here's what else is
    installed:

    AGP: Radeon Video Card
    PCI1: (shared with AGP) empty
    PCI2: IDE 100 Card
    PCI3: TB Santa Cruz Sound Card
    PCI4: Ethernet Card
    PCI5: **USB 2.0 Card**
    ISA1: (shared with PCI slot) empty
    ISA2: 56k modem

    OS: Windows XP Pro (latest SP installed + latest updates, etc)

    Here's the website for the USB Card:
    http://www.bencole.com/singleproduct.asp?search=08335&partnum=08335

    (Got it for $5 on sale from MicroCenter BTW).

    I installed it, the drivers installed fine, and card was detected correctly.
    No exclamation marks in Device Manager. The first sign something was wrong
    was when I powered on a USB 2.0 device (Adaptec MPEG2 encoder) connected to
    the USB 2.0 Card, the system just automatically rebooted itself right when I
    powered on the device. I unplugged that device and stuck it into a USB 1.1
    hub connected and it is detected fine. Then I tried plugging in my webcam to
    the USB 2.0 Card but the Logitech software could not find the camera.
    Unplugged the webcam and plugged it into the USB 1.1 hub and the software
    can find it. So it looks like the USB 2.0 card can't find anything connected
    to it (it is downward compatible to usb1.1 devices BTW).

    Any ideas? I have the latest drivers for the card installed already. Perhaps
    I just have too many PCI cards installed? I'm hesitant to move the PCI cards
    around as before installed the USB 2.0 Card, the system has been very
    stable. Even with the USB2.0 Card installed now everything else besides that
    card works fine. Any ideas on what I should do next?

    Arnold, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Arnold

    mw Guest

    Hi Arnold,

    It seems like the U-Connect card requires PCI bus v 2.2.
    From the specifications document found at the Benecole website:
    "32-bit 33Mhz host interface compliant to PCI Specification release 2.2".
    The BH6, being an Intel 440BX chipset-based board, has a v 2.1 compliant PCI
    bus, so I guess that's why it won't work...

    / mw

    mw, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Arnold

    Rick Guest

    No, that has nothing to do with it. Because a PCI card is 2.2
    compliant doesn't mean it's 2.1 incompatible. More likely the
    problem is related to IRQ sharing (either with another PCI slot
    or with an onboard device in the BH6), a bum card or poorly
    written drivers.

    Try swapping the USB card with another PCI card that's in an
    _unshared_ PCI slot.

    Also, if the USB card uses an NEC controller (hopefully), you
    should uninstall the manufacturer's driver, then go to Windows
    Update and install the stock USB2.0 XP driver from Microsoft.

    Rick

    Rick, Jan 8, 2004
  4. It should still work. PCI 2.2 compliant products should be backwards
    compatible with PCI 2.1 boards.

    IIRC, PCI slot 5 on the BH6 is non-bus mastering, and it's pretty much a
    given that the USB car needs a bus mastering slot. Try it in PCI slot one
    and see what happens.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Out with the old & in with the new at www.dabsxchange.com

    Richard Hopkins, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Arnold

    Arnold Guest

    I removed the NIC in PCI4 so the USB card didn't share an IRQ anymore and
    the card worked. I tried moving the cards around but basically I can't have
    all those cards together and still get the USB card to work right. HOWEVER,
    I didn't try PCI1 since my video card's fan is in the way. I can take it off
    but considering the USB card didn't work in any of the other slots (shared
    and unshared), I don't expect it to work in PCI1. I'll give it a shot when I
    have time though. Otherwise this card is going into my drawer. :(

    Arnold, Jan 9, 2004
  6. Arnold

    mw Guest

    No, that has nothing to do with it. Because a PCI card is 2.2
    OK, I see, but why do some manufacturers/resellers then state that their PCI 2.2
    compliant USB 2.0 cards doesn't work with PCI v 2.1?

    Quotes:
    "Please note they both need a PCI v2.2 slot"
    "It requires a PCI v 2.2 spec interface"
    "The 4 ports USB 2.0 Upgrade indeed requires the newer PCI 2.2 slots"
    "This product requires the 2.2 standard"

    That's what made *me* believe there *was* an incompatibility issue...
    Are *some* 2.2 compliant cards incomaptible, and some not?? A real mess...

    / mw

    mw, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Arnold

    Rick Guest

    The card manufacturer in question doesn't mention any of those
    claims. They simply say the card is 2.2 compliant. If you look at
    the changes made between PCI 2.1 and 2.2, most are either
    documentation clarifications or

    Rick, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Arnold

    Rick Guest

    sorry..

    ....or other things that wouldn't cause a card to not work at all.
    See:
    http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/conventional/conventional_pci/2_2sum1215.pdf

    Rick

    Rick, Jan 9, 2004
  9. Arnold

    mw Guest

    OK, I see, but why do some manufacturers/resellers then state that
    http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/conventional/conventional_pci/2_2sum1215.pdf

    I have seen that, but understood only fragments of it... :)

    You (as well as Richard Hopkins: "It should still work. PCI 2.2 compliant
    products should be backwards compatible with PCI 2.1 boards") mean there's no
    "interface" reason why a card
    wouldn't work with PCI 2.1?

    According to my (limited, only 6 different card manufacturers) experience most
    of the cards stating "PCI 2.2 compliance" indeed is said *not* to work with PCI
    2.1. At least that's what the tech support dept's say when asking - but maybe
    they (too :) have misunderstood the whole "compliance thing"?
    Makes no sense to me...

    / mw

    mw, Jan 9, 2004
  10. Arnold

    Rick Guest

    Not no reason, it's just very unlikely. Symptoms of incompatibility
    would be relatively minor things like power management and
    hibernation problems, it wouldn't cause the problem the original
    poster was having.
    That's not been my experience. I've never heard a tech support
    rep claim their product required a PCI 2.2 slot, even though the
    products were "2.2 compliant".

    Rick

    Rick, Jan 9, 2004