Big Oops! Please help a newbie

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Dave The Brain, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Excuse my ignorance, but I presume this is overclocking the chip?

    Dave The Brain, Oct 30, 2005

  2. Dave The Brain

    uddarts Guest

    welcome back! have you been hanging out down at the french riviera?

    what do you think of the suggestion above?

    your going to have to decide if your going to stay with onboard video
    or get a video card too but that will run more money.

    your also going to have to decide if you want a board that can take
    advantage of the unlocked cpu or just run it as a xp2600, which would
    be fine too.

    you do some thinking and get back to us.

    ud

    uddarts, Nov 1, 2005

  3. I wish! No, I have been playing host to an endless stream of work
    commitments and family entertaining. This morning I went with my
    Grandfather to the Cenotaph in London so he could walk/be pushed in
    the procession.

    Life this month is extremely hectic and I feel I should give up my
    social life in favour of something less stressful like leting a herd
    of Wildebeeste run through the house.

    As far as the computer goes, my TFT moniter (an Acer) appears to be
    doing random colours two weeks after the end of its warranty expires.
    Another two hundred quid I don't have. With Christmas coming I feel
    like I'm building a fire and throwing ten Pound notes into it!

    So, no sign of any more money for the computer unless it is for much
    needed replacements or I get some for Christmas.

    All I have is this chip whichif I read everyone's comments corectly I
    may hopefully be able to use in my existing configuration and get some
    speed boost without having to pay for anything else (keeping an eye on
    my fan).

    If I get more money then yes, new motherboard (with onboard graphic
    and network but separate sound card) and more/better memory. Until
    then I'm wondering if I can find the time to open the computer up and
    stick the new CPU in and se if it works or not with what I have.

    All help is much appreciated. Sorry I've been offline so long.

    Dave The Brain, Nov 14, 2005