Big problems with Compaq Presario R3000

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Jack Thompson, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. Hey everybody,
    I have a compaq presario R3000 laptop here that is having some trouble.
    It all began when i downloaded a windows update about 4 weeks ago.
    Immediately after I downloaded it the computer crashed and never let me back
    into windows, even in safe mode. So I repaired with the windows OS cd and
    reloaded all the drivers and applications and that was fine.. I didn't even
    lose all my files. However at this point I had to leave for two weeks...
    when I came back, I went to try and listen to some music and it wouldn't
    even let me in the folder, saying access is denied (I have still not gotten
    in there at this point). Then I tried to install Norton Antivirus 2005 and
    that refused to install as well, even after multiple tries.
    I was tired of all this, so I saved all the pictures onto CD's and was
    going to just reformat the whole thing and start fresh but when I tried to
    do that, I got a message saying it was impossible because the volume is in
    use. I don't know what to do at this point...
    Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot.

    Justin

    Oh, also, I lost everything a couple months before this as well when my
    harddrive crashed and consistently failed both the short and long test, and
    never let me back into windows again. Compaq supposedly replaced the
    harddrive though.. I don't know if thats related to this at all.

    Jack Thompson, Sep 6, 2005

  2. Jack Thompson

    ikenfixit Guest

    Sounds like a drive read/write issue or bad sectors. Are you sure they
    didnt just load the OS again? Were seeing major problems on these and
    one is a hard drive failure just after warranty.. (Think its thermal
    and voltage is spiking for the drive line).. Do you ever get a BSOD?
    Let me know as we will see more I believe.. Ken

    ikenfixit, Sep 10, 2005