    that slower than a 400 FSB? I'm looking at the athlon 32 bit lineup.

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Post Replies Here Please, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Post Replies Here Please

    Wes Newell Guest

    The FSB rating is just what the default is. You can change it with most
    MB's. I've run my 2100+ with a default 133MHz FSB at 215MHz, although I
    normally run it at 2700+ speeds of 13x166.
    None that I'd trust, as prices change so often.
    The default bus speed doesn't matter. The extra cache helps with
    performance overall. The best bang for the buck is probably the 2500+ or
    2600+ Barton cores along with a MB that allows FSB changes and at least
    PC3200 ram. The default multiplier for the 2500+ is 11 and 11.5 for the
    2600+. Set the FSB to 200 with the 2500+ and you end up with a 3200+. The
    2600+ ran at 200MHz FSB ends up a 3300+. Most will go this high and higher
    although there's no gaurantees.
    You can easily search back though the group for examples.

    Wes Newell, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Thanks looks like good information. Don't hit me too hard on this
    stupid question.

    How you tell if the cpu has a barton core? Checking some of the web
    sites that sale these cpus don't mention what core a cpu has.

    Thanks

    Post Replies Here Please, Apr 18, 2004
  4. Post Replies Here Please

    doughy2002 Guest

    Barton cpu's come in a few flavours, 2500xp 2600xp 2800xp 3000xp and 3200xp
    and they all have 512kb of level 2 cache. Other AMD cpu's available at the
    moment are the Thoroughbred Core and come in all other speeds but you can
    get 2600xp, 2800xp T/breds also.
    Im pretty sure thats correct im sure someone will put me right if im wrong.

    doughnut

    doughy2002, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Post Replies Here Please

    Wes Newell Guest

    All barton cores have 512K L2 cache, and the part number ends with the
    last numeric character being a 4 to indicate the 512K cache size. Perhaps
    better explained here.

    http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

    Wes Newell, Apr 18, 2004
  6. Post Replies Here Please

    S.Heenan Guest

    The 2500+ only comes as a Barton core, with 512KB L2 cache. The 2600+ can be
    a Barton or T-Bred core, the latter having 256KB L2 cache.

    S.Heenan, Apr 18, 2004
  7. Post Replies Here Please

    lazya Guest

    Also if you have a motherboard that can adjust multipliers - the Barton core also has mobile chips
    in the 2500/2600 that are multiplier unlocked.

    Even if it looks like it comes from your credit card company.

    lazya, Apr 19, 2004