Bill (BillW50) Need Help in BartPE

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by dwn, Apr 20, 2010.

  1. dwn

    dwn Guest

    When using BartPE, you need a copy of Win XP Pro and Key which I
    don't have the CDs with me. I don't think my wife can find it in the packed
    boxes. However, I do have Dell Latitude D600 (original) recovery CD, two
    saved folders (i386), the slow crawling T30 still running. Drivers for T30
    saved in a USB flash drive. Can I work with what I have?

    When booting with Win98 diskette on the Thinkpad T30, it will not read "C"
    directory but can access "D" USB and "A" drive.

    IBM recovery don't have the key but I can use the Product Key beneath
    the T30. Everything I have is 100% legit.

    If I execute the BartPE on Thinkpad, I will have a working CD/DVD, how
    many CD/DVD do I need to create a recovery CD/DVD. I have limited
    unused with me. I am not sure if my CD/DVD will work after that, I had
    to patched it when I first got it.

    Finally, will it format including the hidden partition, clean install and maybe
    including a hidden recovery partition.

    Thanks again :)

    dwn, Apr 20, 2010

  2. dwn

    BillW50 Guest

    In dwn typed on Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:58:32 -0700:
    Well first you don't need BartPE per se right now. It is only one of
    three options to reinstall Windows XP. You can use the current version
    of Windows to reinstall itself I believe. If this fails, you have two
    other choices.

    1) Use BartPE.

    2) Use the Windows 98 Startup disk.

    Now as for creating a copy of BartPE. It doesn't have to be XP Pro, as
    XP Home works too. You don't need any Windows keys at all. And lastly,
    you most likely won't even need any Windows install disc either. As
    BartPE can be create in most cases directly from your installed Windows.

    If you do need a Windows install disk, odds are great that the Dell one
    should work fine for creating BartPE. And don't worry about a key.
    BartPE doesn't use any keys.
    That makes sense if the drive is formatted in NTFS format. When Windows
    is running, open up Explorer and right click on Drive C and select
    Properties. Does it show it as NTFS or FAT32?

    If you reinstall with the old Windows or BartPE, NTFS is fine as both
    can see it. If you want to reinstall under DOS (aka your Startup disk),
    it can't be formatted as NTFS. As DOS can't see anything formatted in
    NTFS. Then and only then, it has to be reformatted to FAT32.
    Yes true.
    Well if you create BartPE, that is just one CD. You could copy one or
    both i386 folders and at least one will fit on one CD. But I think both
    would fit on one. And you don't have to copy the i386 folders to any CD
    anyway. you have them on your USB flash right? That is good enough.

    BillW50, Apr 20, 2010