Bill Gates: 3rd-generation Xbox (360's successor) is a certainty

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by AirRaidJet, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. AirRaidJet

    AirRaidJet Guest

    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...1_ROB178351_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEDIA-XBOX-GATES.xml

    Microsoft in video game market for long haul: Gates

    By Lisa Baertlein

    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. will not back down even if the
    launch of its Xbox 360 video game console fails to propel it to first
    place in the $25 billion global market, Chairman Bill Gates said on
    Monday.

    "We'll play again," Gates told Reuters in a telephone interview ahead
    of the Xbox 360 launch on Tuesday.

    Microsoft will be the first of the major gaming console makers to sell
    a next-generation machine when the Xbox 360 goes on sale on Tuesday,
    and aims to take the lead from Sony Corp.

    "We learned a lot in the first round. We've got a chance not just to
    have higher market share, but also to grow the size of this market
    substantially," Gates said.

    The Microsoft co-founder said the Xbox 360 will be better than the
    next-generation PlayStation 3 console from Sony. Sony's PlayStation 2
    is estimated to now control about 70 percent of the global market.

    "In terms of how we've balanced technology in the machine, we feel
    certain we've done a better job than Sony," he said.

    "You won't really know that until a year from now, when people are
    talking about how the games on our machines compare to the games on
    Sony's machines," Gates said.

    Microsoft says highlights of its new machine include high-definition
    graphics, online game play and Web chat, as well as the ability to
    connect to music players and cameras.

    OBSTACLE COURSE

    Microsoft entered the console market in 2001 and grabbed the No. 2
    position despite significant handicaps. Sony's PlayStation 2 had a
    one-year running start and consumers were skeptical that the maker of
    the ubiquitous Windows software would do video games well or commit to
    a new market.

    "We had no chance of being No. 1 there," Gates said.

    In almost five years, Microsoft has spent nearly $5 billion on the
    Xbox, analysts estimate, making it one of Microsoft's biggest bets in
    recent years.

    In the latest quarter, Microsoft's home and entertainment division,
    which includes the Xbox, had $634 million in revenue, up nearly 21
    percent from a year earlier. The division posted an operating loss,
    however, of $138 million.

    "We're looking at, between now and the end of June, over $1.5 billion
    in sales on this stuff," said Gates, referring to estimated sales of
    around 5.5 million Xbox 360s, accessories and video games.

    The Xbox 360 will be in stores before Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo
    Co Ltd.'s Revolution, which are both expected next year, leaving
    Microsoft free of competition for several months.

    SUCCESS NOT ABOUT MONEY NOW

    While analysts underscored the importance of Microsoft's vast wealth
    and stature, Gates said the battle is now about the games.

    "It's not about spending at this point," he said, adding that the
    company now must deliver on expectations that it will move gaming
    forward.

    There are significantly more launch titles for the Xbox 360, with 18
    this time around, and over 200 additional games in development.

    "Virtually all of those will ship in the next six months," said Gates.

    The Xbox 360 is more powerful than its predecessor and shows games in
    high-definition. Early reviewers have been wowed by the graphics, and
    many gamers said they are willing to wait a year or so to see what game
    developers can do with the new technology.

    Gamers have also embraced the Xbox Live online service, which among
    other things allows a team of players in one living room to compete
    against an equally matched team elsewhere. The service also provides
    downloads of classic games, which tend to appeal to older gamers and
    women.

    "Halo" from Microsoft-owned Bungie Studios sparked sales of the
    original Xbox. When asked to identify a killer title for the Xbox 360,
    Gates declined.

    "I wouldn't have picked right last time if you had asked me that
    question. So I won't pick this time," he said.

    AirRaidJet, Nov 22, 2005

  2. AirRaidJet

    Highlandish Guest

    cool, so i'll skip buying the 360 and wait for the next better one shall i?

    Highlandish, Nov 23, 2005

  3. AirRaidJet

    Tom Lake Guest

    You probably should! My daughter's boyfriend bought one yesterday, played
    one game on it then the indicators started turning red, one by one. Now
    it's dead. He called the MS help line and had an hour wait. The person
    there said they're getting swamped with calls about dead units.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Nov 23, 2005
  4. AirRaidJet

    Highlandish Guest

    lol

    Highlandish, Nov 23, 2005
  5. AirRaidJet

    Walter Mitty Guest

    Sure.

    Walter Mitty, Nov 23, 2005
  6. AirRaidJet

    darius Guest

    does the xbox use ati or nvidia chip?

    darius, Nov 23, 2005
  7. AirRaidJet

    Quaestor Guest

    Did anyone expect anything else from a company that invariably ships
    products before they are even remotely ready?

    Quaestor, Nov 23, 2005
  8. AirRaidJet

    Kevin Weaver Guest

    Nvidia (360)

    Kevin Weaver, Nov 23, 2005
  9. AirRaidJet

    Smart Feet Guest

    http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/23/138200&from=rss

    Smart Feet, Nov 23, 2005
  10. AirRaidJet

    Walter Mitty Guest

    Walter Mitty, Nov 23, 2005
  11. AirRaidJet

    The Outsider Guest

    Original Xbox uses Nvidia, Xbox360 uses ATI.

    The Outsider, Nov 23, 2005
  12. AirRaidJet

    AirRaidJet Guest

    the old Xbox from 2001 used two Nvidia chips:
    1.) GPU (NV2A) which was based on NV20 (GeForce 3) but upgraded with
    more geometry performance thanks to 2nd Vertex Shader, and more pixel
    shading performance thanks to more math (or fragment) units in the
    pixel pipes (but had the same amount of pixel pipelines as GeForce3, at
    four) 2.) the other chip was an audio and communications
    processor (MCPX)

    the new Xbox 360 (Xbox2 aka Xenon) uses an ATI GPU called 'Xenos' --
    which ATI also calls 'C1', and was more commenly known as the R500

    AirRaidJet, Nov 23, 2005
  13. AirRaidJet

    John Guest

    John, Nov 24, 2005
  14. AirRaidJet

    mudboy Guest

    I heard the xbox makes boys reach puberty a lot later in life.

    mudboy, Nov 24, 2005
  15. AirRaidJet

    DNC_TN Guest

    According to theonion.com, the new xbox has an 'anti-girlfriend'
    device inside it. Boy them programmers sure are getting smarter.

    ************************************
    http://www.dubyareport.net/
    New and Improved...No More Sillyness

    DNC_TN, Nov 24, 2005
  16. AirRaidJet

    Dromiz Guest

    Daa Nvidia the the PS3 not the Xbox360... ATI in the 360.

    Makes me feel good since MS will stop updates and support of WINXP home
    edition in December 2006 but not the Professional version which is prorected
    till 2011. Per MS customer service Home Edition is NOT a main stream
    product... LOL so they are saying profession is mainstream even if 75% or
    more of all people have home edition.

    Dromiz, Nov 24, 2005
  17. AirRaidJet

    Alceryes Guest