Bill Gates Blackmailing Denmark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Fantom, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. The Fantom

    The Fantom Guest

    http://wiki.ffii.org/Navision050215En for full article.

    Prelaminary translation of the article

    Gates threatens Fogh [dk PM] with closing Navision

    The founder of the world's largest software company Bill Gates is now
    ready to close Navision in Denmark and move the almost 800 developers in
    Denmarks largest software company to the USA.

    This was firmly stated when he met with Prime Minister Anders Fogh
    Rasmussen (V) [V = liberal party] in November 2004, as well as the
    minister of economics and industry Bendt Bendtsen (K) [K = Conservatives]
    and the minister of science Helge Sander (V).

    The threat may become reality, if parts of the IT industry succeed in
    blocking a controversial EU directive on software patents, that
    Microsoft [more than anything in the world] wants to be approved, but
    which time and again has been delayed thanks to their opponents very
    efficient lobbying.

    "If I'm to keep my development center in Denmark, then it's a
    requirement that the question of rights becomes resolved. Otherwise, I
    will move it to the USA where I can protect my rights" said Bill Gates
    according to Microsoft Chief legal council[?] Marianne Wier, that also
    took part in the meeting with Anders Fogh Rasmussen.

    Bill Gates bought the Danish development department, which builds upon
    the merger of the two IT companies Navision and Damgaard, for almost 12
    billion DKK back in 2002.

    It has not been possible to reach Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen
    to have him explain in detail [lit. "deepen"] how he reacted on the
    harsh message from Bill Gates.

    The Fantom, Feb 15, 2005

  2. The Fantom

    Larc Guest

    | http://wiki.ffii.org/Navision050215En for full article.
    |
    | Prelaminary translation of the article
    |
    | Gates threatens Fogh [dk PM] with closing Navision
    |
    | The founder of the world's largest software company Bill Gates is now
    | ready to close Navision in Denmark and move the almost 800 developers in
    | Denmarks largest software company to the USA.
    |
    | This was firmly stated when he met with Prime Minister Anders Fogh
    | Rasmussen (V) [V = liberal party] in November 2004, as well as the
    | minister of economics and industry Bendt Bendtsen (K) [K = Conservatives]
    | and the minister of science Helge Sander (V).
    |
    | The threat may become reality, if parts of the IT industry succeed in
    | blocking a controversial EU directive on software patents, that
    | Microsoft [more than anything in the world] wants to be approved, but
    | which time and again has been delayed thanks to their opponents very
    | efficient lobbying.
    |
    | "If I'm to keep my development center in Denmark, then it's a
    | requirement that the question of rights becomes resolved. Otherwise, I
    | will move it to the USA where I can protect my rights" said Bill Gates
    | according to Microsoft Chief legal council[?] Marianne Wier, that also
    | took part in the meeting with Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
    |
    | Bill Gates bought the Danish development department, which builds upon
    | the merger of the two IT companies Navision and Damgaard, for almost 12
    | billion DKK back in 2002.
    |
    | It has not been possible to reach Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen
    | to have him explain in detail [lit. "deepen"] how he reacted on the
    | harsh message from Bill Gates.

    That's business! If Denmark screws Gates, then Denmark shouldn't be
    surprised if Gates screws them.

    Larc

    Larc, Feb 15, 2005

  3. The Fantom

    JAD Guest

    sounds like good business practice to me.....

    JAD, Feb 15, 2005
  4. He's an equal opportunity businessman, he screws everyone.

    Mike

    Michael Swift, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
    so great) words of knowledge:

    What I find interesting is that monopolies are not legal in this country
    (US ). Where is the competition to Microsoft ? Please don't say Linux.
    I am referring to an OS that will run the majority of windows programs.

    Bill has the software manufacturers and hardware manufacturers doing
    what he wants. If they want to sell their product IT MUST BE ABLE TO
    RUN UNDER WINDOWS.

    Back in "the old days" you had a choice of an os. There was PC Dos, MS
    Dos, C-Dos plus a few others I don't remember. Bill managed to get rid
    of all the "threats".

    Where were our "illustrious" government watchdogs while this was going
    on ? Where are they now ? Are they doing anything ? Nope, Bill owns them.

    Ted Campanelli, Feb 15, 2005
  6. The Fantom

    JAD Guest

    bill is doing what the world powers want him to..1 world -1computer -1OS-
    run by the 1 government. its in your face....yet few see it.

    them.

    JAD, Feb 15, 2005
  7. The Fantom

    Ed Light Guest

    Software patents. An old problem. Often someone wants to patent a commonly
    used thing. Perhaps BG wants too much for his monopoly.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Feb 15, 2005

    A Guy Called Tyketto, Feb 15, 2005
  9. The Fantom

    relic Guest

    There is no guarantee of Competition. Only that anyone _can_ start a company
    or sell a product that competes. Why don't you?

    relic, Feb 15, 2005
  10. That's like saying there's no competition to ABC, and please don't say NBC
    because they don't show the same programs.
    You mean like IBM's OS/2 touted?

    It's the buyer who 'requires' it.

    Ole Billy Boy simply out competed them, including IBM.

    Yeah. How dare they let someone succeed?

    David Maynard, Feb 16, 2005
  11. The Fantom

    PWY Guest

    No he didn't. These operating systems are still around. You can switch any
    time you want to.

    PWY, Feb 16, 2005
  12. The Fantom

    Overlord Guest

    Doh! There's my cue, and I almost missed it!

    "I cannot read the fiery letters," I said. "No," he said, "but I can. The letters are Hex, of an
    ancient mode, but the language is that of Microsoft, which I shall not utter here. But in common
    English this is what it says"
    "One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them
    One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."
    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]

    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.

    Overlord, Feb 16, 2005
  13. Ahh yes, and get half the FPS in games, Linux is not a good alternative,
    WINE doesn't work with every windows program and when it does it's often
    slow.
    Not everyone can get linux to do everything they need to do.

    Nicholas Buenk, Feb 21, 2005
  14. It's very hard to develope a competing OS when so much depends on software
    compatablity. Sure, you can make a great technologically advanced OS, which
    won't likely do very well in the market because there will be no software to
    run on it.
    Patents are government inforced monopolies.

    Nicholas Buenk, Feb 21, 2005
  15. That *is* the point of them: That he who invents it should reap the
    benefit, for a period of time, of having done so.

    Why in the world should I spend the time, effort, and money to invent
    something if you're going to just copy it for free? YOU go waste a few
    million inventing it and *I'll* do the copying.

    David Maynard, Feb 21, 2005
  16. The Fantom

    Matt Guest

    Okay, but don't forget to patent it too---like Microsoft. Here is their
    patent (#6,727,830) on the mouse double click:

    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...0&s1=6727830.WKU.&OS=PN/6727830&RS=PN/6727830

    Matt, Feb 21, 2005
  17. Well, it *would* be rather difficult to talk about "Patents are government
    inforced monopolies" if it wasn't patented, now wouldn't it?

    I'm not going to debate the virtues of individual patents since selectively
    picking one to argue against the patent concept itself is like arguing
    there should be no traffic laws because you dispute the merit of a 30 MPH
    speed limit on Elm.

    David Maynard, Feb 21, 2005
  18. The Fantom

    Overlord Guest

    I believe I will patent the concept of clicking with the left mouse button
    as opposed to the right mouse button. Then if you click with that finger
    you'll have to send me a nickel each time.

    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]

    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.

    Overlord, Feb 21, 2005
  19. Good luck. But I think you'll find that getting a patent isn't quite as
    easy as you seem to believe.

    For one, you just told me, and on a public forum no less, which makes it
    public domain. No patent.

    Btw, I can't find any reference at all to a 'mouse' in the afore mentioned
    patent. It's about "Time based hardware button for application launch" and,
    in particular, "on a limited resource computing device" that is described
    as "Small, mobile computing devices, such as personal desktop assistants
    including hand-held and palm-type computers and the like." And the
    "hardware button" is not a mouse key but the buttons on PDAs for launching
    specific applications, as in "Therefore, as an alternative to launching
    applications by using the stylus, the Palm-size PC contains a plurality of
    buttons (called application buttons) that are used to launch the more
    common applications installed on a Palm-size PC."

    David Maynard, Feb 21, 2005
  20. He who invents it first has the advantage, patents should be greatly
    reduced, maybe 6months in the software industry from release date, that is
    ample time to profit from the research. Patents as they are now, are way too
    excessive and cause more problems than good.

    Nicholas Buenk, Feb 21, 2005